[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #16 of 1,845
Thanks, I'll do that, probably give them a week and if I feel they sound worse than when I tried my 250 Ohm ones unamped then I guess I'll send them back and get the 600 Ohm pair, or another 250 Ohm pair.

Are the 600 Ohm pairs even listenable without an amp? I don't need earsplitting volume or anything and I do have an old Marantz receiver I can probably run them out of, but I have no idea how it handles headphones.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 1,845
x2! that's what i have been telling my friends over here. you essentially get the wonderful dynamics of the open design with the dt990, plus a magnificent low-end presentation. that is what i love most about the dt990 sound. that is how it holds its own against the dt880 600 ohms and the sennheiser hd650 
smile.gif

closed headphones can offer better bass quantity, but they lose the advantages of the open design. bassheads would not probably mind the difference, but those looking for just a bit deeper bass sound with good treble with a clear background (not muddied) should audition the dt990
smile.gif

this thread will help a lot of confused potential beyer buyers! great job Zombie_X! 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
I think the bass on those is totally insane for an open headphone.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 1,845
No problem my friend.

Quote:
Thanks for the write up! I was just thinking of trying a Beyer and this was very informative.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #19 of 1,845
You can listen to them without an amp but they will have squashed dynamics and may sound thinner with sloppy bass.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll do that, probably give them a week and if I feel they sound worse than when I tried my 250 Ohm ones unamped then I guess I'll send them back and get the 600 Ohm pair, or another 250 Ohm pair.

Are the 600 Ohm pairs even listenable without an amp? I don't need earsplitting volume or anything and I do have an old Marantz receiver I can probably run them out of, but I have no idea how it handles headphones.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #23 of 1,845
Zombie-X- For your reviews, those sound quality differences between the different ohm versions of the same model hold with different amplification?

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #24 of 1,845
My new 32 Ohm DT770s just arrived, and I'm flat out amazed! Even though I'm running them through an old
Marantaz receiver and not my now gone amp, they sound 100% better than my 250 Ohm DT770s even when those were amped! This leads me to believe my old pair were damaged from the moment I got them. The new DT770s have warmer mids a slightly more open soundstage and much, much, much better controlled bass then my old pair.

My only complaint is that they don't fit my head as tightly as my 250 Ohm pair did, does anyone know of anyway to adjust the clamp force? This new pair has these weird metal "wings" coming off the top of the adjustment bars, but I'm not sure what they do.

Here's a pic of what I mean (circled in red):

Call me an idiot, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what those things do lol...

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 1,845

Quote:
My new 32 Ohm DT770s just arrived, and I'm flat out amazed! Even though I'm running them through an old
Marantaz receiver and not my now gone amp, they sound 100% better than my 250 Ohm DT770s even when those were amped! This leads me to believe my old pair were damaged from the moment I got them. The new DT770s have warmer mids a slightly more open soundstage and much, much, much better controlled bass then my old pair.

My only complaint is that they don't fit my head as tightly as my 250 Ohm pair did, does anyone know of anyway to adjust the clamp force? This new pair has these weird metal "wings" coming off the top of the adjustment bars, but I'm not sure what they do.

Here's a pic of what I mean (circled in red):

Call me an idiot, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what those things do lol...

+1 for 'wings'
Though I think they're just for looks

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #26 of 1,845
I amped all the ones I own in balanced mode on my ROC. The ones I heard were amped by the ROC as well, but only in SE mode. Some of my past ones were amped by the X-CANV8P (long ago, like two years ago).

Quote:
Zombie-X- For your reviews, those sound quality differences between the different ohm versions of the same model hold with different amplification?

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 1,845
Sep 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #29 of 1,845
Sorry but I never had time to re-finish it. I had finished writing it on the pc and I had a power out and lost the whole thing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back