Great IEMs with Strong BASS and SOUNDSTAGE under $200?
Sep 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

underdogdev

New Head-Fier
I am currently on the hunt for a pair of IEMs with powerful bass and great overall sound quality.  As of right now, I own a pair of Beats Tour and am completely over them.  The bass isn't too bad...it's the rest of their performance I could do without.  The instruments tend to blend together resulting in an overall muddy sound.  I would prefer a pair of cans with clarity in the highs, solid mids, and strong bass to back them up.  I've been researching threads and reviews on head-fi.org for nearly one month, and have narrowed a list of choices that I feel would suit my taste.  Comfort is a big concern ( I wear them 8-10hr a day at work ), Isolation not so much (although preferred), a microphone and iPhone controls would be great (I'll mainly be using them with my iPhone) but not mandatory. On a day-to-day basis, I typically listen to rock, hip-hop, indie, and jazz.  Thanks to all who help, I'm stuck right now.

The List-

Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2

T-Peos H-200

ATH-CKS1000

Vsonic GR07 BE

Ortofon e-Q5

TDK BA200

Moshi Vortex

Atrio MG7

Sony XBA-3

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 19
sony mdr 7550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558083/sony-mdr-800st-review (Japan version of the same thing but different labeling)
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Victor-Headphones-HA-FXT90-Japanese/dp/B004VHAJJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379023151&sr=8-1&keywords=jvc+fxt90
www.head-fi.org/t/559335/quick-impression-sony-mdr-7550
www.head-fi.org/t/679045/review-sony-mdr-7550
mine is just a week old... i have yet to write full review but i can say it definitely fills your sound requirements.

street price... these days it can be had less than or equal your budget

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 19
+1 to the 7550 although the isolation isn't great, and they don't have iPhone controls. 

Out of the ones you've listed I've had the XBA3, GR07, BA200, and H200 - out of those GR07 Bass Edition will be your best choice. The others don't have an abundance of bass and the soundstage is medium at best. 

I highly suggest the UE Triple Fi 10. You can routinely find like new ones for under $200.

Also the IE80 is known for its bass and soundstage although finding one under $200 will be tough.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 19
+1 to the 7550 although the isolation isn't great, and they don't have iPhone controls. 

Out of the ones you've listed I've had the XBA3, GR07, BA200, and H200 - out of those GR07 Bass Edition will be your best choice. The others don't have an abundance of bass and the soundstage is medium at best. 

I highly suggest the UE Triple Fi 10. You can routinely find like new ones for under $200.

Also the IE80 is known for its bass and soundstage although finding one under $200 will be tough.

Thanks so much for the reply...I am definitely going to look into the UE Triple Fi 10. I appreciate your expertise.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 19

I owned this IEM for 4 years.  Add another $100 (like I did) for better eartips and to replace the stock cable (that likes to break in a year or less)

They pair well with iDevices with headphone output impedance <1 such as iphone 4, latest generation of ipod touch and ipads. 

To OP, if you do get the TF10... make sure you have source with output impedance less than or equal to 1 ohm. Above 5 ohm you loose some detail in the highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back