Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #437 of 538
Check the classifieds here. I have my Zen Can Signature 6XX listed for $200 including PayPal and shipping. Only selling because I purchased the Zen Can Signature HFM because I have several HFM phones but no 6XX.
Does the hfm version sound better than the 6xx version? Many said the new sounded warmer but i am not sure

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #438 of 538
It’s an ess es9280c pro chip usb dac dongle. It’s just a dongle I purchased off taobao as something before I upgraded
Many Chinese dongles I have heard sounding worse than my Apple dongle. many of them were even much more expensive than the Apple’s one. The zen signature set is a little bit better than the Apple dongle pairing with my iems in term of sound quality. The sound becomes more robust and richer

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #439 of 538
As far as I know, the 6XX and HFM versions are the same except for the eq applied when you engage the 6XX or HFM switch. I couldn't tell any sound difference between the two without the eq switch engaged. I started with the standard Zen Can and I do think the Signature versions sound somewhat better. There are some higher quality parts in the Signature which do improve the sound quality.

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #444 of 538
@iFi audio can you help me in this matter

Does it function normally otherwise?

The light that only flashes when I turn it on and when switching is the input.
Yours may be defective since Ive been using my Zen Can for over a year with no issues. I actually leave it on for days at a time with no concerns.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #445 of 538
Does it function normally otherwise?

The light that only flashes when I turn it on and when switching is the input.
Yours may be defective since Ive been using my Zen Can for over a year with no issues. I actually leave it on for days at a time with no concerns.
Does power supply issues can cause it? It been using cheap power supply for my zen can

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #446 of 538
Does power supply issues can cause it? It been using cheap power supply for my zen can
It can be if its not the rated voltage for it.

Ive been using the ifi Ipower so I have not other experience with other power supplies.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #447 of 538
@iFi audio - Question for you:

I recently acquired the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home headphones and I've noticed a significant mid-bass hump compared to the sound signatures of my other Beyers (DT-770 & DT-1990). For example, the track "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by "Crosby, Stills, & Nash" on their self titled album has a strong bass line throughout the song, but particularly when the bass comes in at the beginning. I found that by engaging the 3D feature on the Zen CAN seems to tame it just a bit, even if the XBass feature is also engaged.

Is there a technical reason for this, or is it one of those psychoacoustic phenomena that happens regardless of the technical implementation?

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #448 of 538
Hello @iFi audio and all of you :)

I have an question about rear balanced output of Zen Can. As the author of thread wrote on the first post:

A 4.4mm balanced output is also provided, to connect to power amps and active speakers equipped with a balanced input – either a Pentaconn 4.4mm input, or XLR inputs via a 4.4mm-to-XLR cable. This balanced output can also be used for single-ended connection if no balanced input is available. All the ZEN CAN’s inputs and outputs are gold plated for optimal conductivity.

I am thinking about buying Presonus Eris 3.5 active speakers set which are equipped with balanced TRS input - L and R using 6,3 mm jacks. I believe I need the custom cable to connect them to the Can - 4,4 mm balanced jack to splitted 6,3 mm jack - similar cable to use with eg. Hifiman Sundara (but there are 3,5 mm of course). Am I right? If so should the connection pattern of pins is also similar?

Second question - what about the single signal throught the balanced output, mentioned on the quoted post?

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #449 of 538
Hello @iFi audio and all of you :)

I have an question about rear balanced output of Zen Can. As the author of thread wrote on the first post:

I am thinking about buying Presonus Eris 3.5 active speakers set which are equipped with balanced TRS input - L and R using 6,3 mm jacks. I believe I need the custom cable to connect them to the Can - 4,4 mm balanced jack to splitted 6,3 mm jack - similar cable to use with eg. Hifiman Sundara (but there are 3,5 mm of course). Am I right? If so should the connection pattern of pins is also similar?

Second question - what about the single signal throught the balanced output, mentioned on the quoted post?
This might be the cheapest option.
https://Ebay.com/itm/174478829330
X2 ►https://Amazon.de/dp/B00A7W27L6

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #450 of 538
Thanks @Lalerfy. The speakers arrived and I have checked it with my hifiman balanced cable. Cable has two mono 3,5 mm jacks for each cup, so I have installed two stereo adapters from 3,5 mm to 6,3 mm. When the speakers are connected to the rear balanced output (designed for external speakers or amp) of Can - a humming sound is coming from the speakers. When I connected them to the front balanced output (dedicated for headphones) the humming is not present. The cable has no ground wire, there are only 4 wires (R+/-, L+/-). Is this it - missing the ground wire?

Edit:

So I've tested speakers with just mentioned cable plugged in to them and still hum, so problem is not related to Can - probably grounded cable is required for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back