Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #407 of 538
I like to buy Zen CAN but is there a Version 2 around the corner ?

I will feel cheated if that happens…..So wait ? or Go Ahead ?

Unfortunately, I can't speak to future products coming down the line but you won't be disappointed with the Zen CAN if you decide to grab it!

I have been seeing a cost cutting on all Ifi's new products.

There is no cost-cutting that goes into those decisions, so I'm not really sure where you got that idea from.

There's a lot more to take into account than that.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #408 of 538
Unfortunately, I can't speak to future products coming down the line but you won't be disappointed with the Zen CAN if you decide to grab it!

There is no cost-cutting that goes into those decisions, so I'm not really sure where you got that idea from.

There's a lot more to take into account than that.
So may i ask what are disadvantages and advantages of the ipower2 over the ipowerx? Tks

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #410 of 538
Got a Zen DAC v2, first impressions are very good as far as IEMs are concerned. Sounds more like medium gain on the A30, for one particular IEM anyways.

PXL_20210921_011915687.jpg

I have a Zen Can on the way, review will happen. So, will it be Chinese tech with distortion numbers so low they breach the space-time barrier vs the retro styled, music lover's delight, Zen stack. Disclaimer: I like Burr Brown.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #411 of 538
Is this still a decent option in unbalanced output or will the true value be in balanced? I don't need balanced but I've had my eye on the CAN for a while
I must say that it is very good and powerful from the single ended output and definitely worth the price of admission but then you will be amazed by the balanced if you utilize it in the future.

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #412 of 538
The true bass button works excellent! I don't do any software EQ myself, so this godsend of a feature for me.
You wouldn't use it on every track, but when you do, it's truly transformative in the best way, adding mid-bass fullness.

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #413 of 538
The true bass button works excellent! I don't do any software EQ myself, so this godsend of a feature for me.
You wouldn't use it on every track, but when you do, it's truly transformative in the best way, adding mid-bass fullness.

I found it to work best on Jazz / Classical (ish) tracks that are mixed with well defined bass frequencies. It's lifts them up just a bit in an area where they might otherwise roll off too soon. Not so much on most Rock genres, but others might like it better there.

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #414 of 538
I found it to work best on Jazz / Classical (ish) tracks that are mixed with well defined bass frequencies. It's lifts them up just a bit in an area where they might otherwise roll off too soon. Not so much on most Rock genres, but others might like it better there.
Just got the Zen Can, sound fantastic, running the 4.4 from the Zen DAC. The 3D+X-Bass on is very well implemented. Even with it off, it's fantastic sounding.
I do have a few 4.4mm connectors to use, need to finish off my T50RP Open Alpha which would be a good test as T50's are fairly hard to drive.

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #415 of 538
Just got the Zen Can, sound fantastic, running the 4.4 from the Zen DAC. The 3D+X-Bass on is very well implemented. Even with it off, it's fantastic sounding.
I do have a few 4.4mm connectors to use, need to finish off my T50RP Open Alpha which would be a good test as T50's are fairly hard to drive.
I've had it for a while and love it, think I'm addicted to that Xbass lol, oh it'll drive the T50's fine as I use it to drive T60's :slight_smile:

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #416 of 538
I've had it for a while and love it, think I'm addicted to that Xbass lol, oh it'll drive the T50's fine as I use it to drive T60's :slight_smile:
I am definitely addicted, have a variant of the EJ07, and it adds the right amount of mid-bass for my preference.
Ended up using a sticky gel pad to keep the Zen can stable on top, would be nice to get a shelf like topping had for the original A30/D30.

I am enjoying genres that I generally put off to the side, definitely musical. I had a little wireless interference on my speaker amp from the DAC, only when volume was turned up pretty high. In fact the amp is probably too powerful for the speakers, using a 5v adapter on the DAC adapter pretty much fixed that.

I personally have been a long time headphone user, and gradually transitioned to IEM's as my go-to option to listen to music. Have used a variety of IEM's on the DAC and Can and I would go as far as saying if you're a pure IEM user the Zen DAC v2 in and of itself might be the perfect solution for desktop use.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #417 of 538
I have to say that I'm starting to appreciate the XBass and 3D features when used at lower to moderate volume levels. At higher volumes they can be a bit much, but at moderate to lower volumes they seem to work really well.

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #418 of 538
Just realized I have a v1, seller told me it was a v2, not good at all!

I guess I can hold off on the review until I pick up a v2.

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #419 of 538
Just realized I have a v1, seller told me it was a v2, not good at all!

I guess I can hold off on the review until I pick up a v2.

There isn't a v2 of the Zen CAN, unless you're referring to one of the Signature models (6xx, HFM).

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #420 of 538

Users who are viewing this thread

Back