Grados SR80i's vs Grados SR225i's
Apr 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #46 of 60
Sorry for derailing the thread but Brooko, how does the 325is sound change when you transplant them into wooden housing?

Personally I think the prestige series Grados are more suited for some metal with harsh vocal/death metal vocal rather than rock; the 325is also has the best electric guitar reproduction that I've heard. The Rs1i is the rock headphone (especially classic/hard rock) imo.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #47 of 60
Look I'm not looking for a fight. You guys have your opinions about grado's and I have mine. My opinions were genuine and I didn't post them just to rile you guys up. Regarding my Genres yes I do listen to J-rock. I find the SR225's too harsh for j-rock. At my listening levels it's just too messy and brash. I can't clearly make out the different instruments like I can with my IEM's. They work really well with J-pop though since it's not as harsh as rock by nature. It brings an exciting edge to the songs compared to my bass heavy panny's which sound relatively congested. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #48 of 60

Quote:
Look I'm not looking for a fight. You guys have your opinions about grado's and I have mine. My opinions were genuine and I didn't post them just to rile you guys up. Regarding my Genres yes I do listen to J-rock. I find the SR225's too harsh for j-rock. At my listening levels it's just too messy and brash. I can't clearly make out the different instruments like I can with my IEM's. They work really well with J-pop though since it's not as harsh as rock by nature. It brings an exciting edge to the songs compared to my bass heavy panny's which sound relatively congested. 

It might not be your cup of tea - but here's a small test that I recommend - a quick 3 x head-gear personal shoot-out.

Seek out an MP3 download via iTunes of Eric Clapton's 'Unplugged' - highly recommend the track:- 'Layla' from the album.

Make sure your 225i's have had 20-25 hours+ of burn-in before commencing the audition. Don't use bass boost on your
 E10 and run the track through the Panasonic, Grado and your IEM.

See how you go and get back to us if things change for you.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #49 of 60

Quote:
 It might not be your cup of tea - but here's a small test that I recommend - a quick 3 x head-gear personal shoot-out.

Seek out an MP3 download via iTunes of Eric Clapton's 'Unplugged' - highly recommend the track:- 'Layla' from the album.

Make sure your 225i's have had 20-25 hours+ of burn-in before commencing the audition. Don't use bass boost on your
 E10 and run the track through the Panasonic, Grado and your IEM.

See how you go and get back to us if things change for you.

The E10's in my sig is the soundmagic E10, not the Fiio E10, lol. I'll download the track if I get a chance and try it out. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #50 of 60

Quote:
Sorry for derailing the thread but Brooko, how does the 325is sound change when you transplant them into wooden housing?

Personally I think the prestige series Grados are more suited for some metal with harsh vocal/death metal vocal rather than rock; the 325is also has the best electric guitar reproduction that I've heard. The Rs1i is the rock headphone (especially classic/hard rock) imo.

Oh  - I think it's gone beyond derailment already 
wink.gif

Unfortunately I've yet to hear the original 325i - I just purchased the drivers (from someone doing the Magnum upgrade), and transplanted them into my existing woodies.

I do find the bass is amazing on the new woodies.  Really nice slam and texture.  They do seem quite bright when I first start wearing them, but within a couple of minutes my brain gets used to the sonic signature, and I find them really enjoyable.  Guitars are amazing - especially acoustic.  Detail is several notches above the MS1i.  I'm guessing the wood enclosure might soften the high end just slightly - probably reduces the resonance from the former metal chambers as well.  I've yet to experience any sibilance.

I was originally thinking of getting Magnum drivers from Rhydon - but I think I'll just enjoy these now for a few years.  I really like the upgrade 
bigsmile_face.gif

(BTW Gwarmi - you're right about the Clapton unplugged album - I've owned it for a few years now, and with a Grado, it's a special experience.  Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live" is another must have for a Grado owner).

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #51 of 60

Quote:
If you think the build quality is fine good for you. If the grado's were made of paper you probably wouldn't mind. My £30 panasonics feel more expensive. Heck practically most headphones less than £100 look and feel more expensive. I don't accept the fact that all the money is going towards the drivers. It's just a slight modification and they increase the price by £100 for each increment. And if you guys read my comment properly I said they compared to beats in that they over exaggerate their quality. "Worlds finest headphones"? The sound is enjoyable but I wouldn't go that far.

I've just received my first pair of Grado's on Thursday (325is) and I think that build quality is awesome.  Granted the 325is are metal while the yours are plastic, but as long as you take care of your headphones there is no reason to worry about breaking them.  I admit they do "look" flimsy, but the more I hold these suckers the more I love them for their simplistic built.  I think they are built better than my A900s.  And looking from a marketing standpoint, what company doesn't boast their product as the best? lol

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #52 of 60

Quote:
I've just received my first pair of Grado's on Thursday (325is) and I think that build quality is awesome.  Granted the 325is are metal while the yours are plastic, but as long as you take care of your headphones there is no reason to worry about breaking them.  I admit they do "look" flimsy, but the more I hold these suckers the more I love them for their simplistic built.  I think they are built better than my A900s.  And looking from a marketing standpoint, what company doesn't boast their product as the best? lol

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with the build quality on the Grados. As a Magnepan owner, I heard the same criticism for years about Maggies, yet you find people all the time who have owned their Magnepans for years and years. The Grados have a simple, retro build that just works.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #53 of 60
I am not Grado lover, yet I greatly enjoy what Grado and Alessandro bring to to the table.  There is nothing quite like it and I need a fix of it from time to time--especially in the form of classic rock or blues.

The build quality of the 325 is outstanding.  Below that it's solid.  Comfort for longer listening sessions can be an issue.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #54 of 60
Had to post in this thread because I purchased a pair of used SR80i's from a fellow headfier a couple of weeks ago, and wow. I wrote a review about them last night. From the first instant i plugged them in, I had become a Grado addict. Listening to Daft Punk's "Discovery" on them is like a whole new listening experience. I'm looking to move up the line, but I'm not sure what would get me the most bang for my buck at this point. Maybe if I can snag a great deal on a pair of 225s it would be worth looking into. I am kind of worried when people say they're more uncomfortable than the 80s, though. The 80s are really comfortable for an hour or two, but after that they really start to ache my ears and I need a break.

Also unsure whether modding my 80s would be a good or bad idea. I'm terrified of screwing up the sound or even worse screwing up the phones completely and not having any music at all. What mods are fairly low-risk/high-reward for a newbie such as myself?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #55 of 60

Quote:
Had to post in this thread because I purchased a pair of used SR80i's from a fellow headfier a couple of weeks ago, and wow. I wrote a review about them last night. From the first instant i plugged them in, I had become a Grado addict. Listening to Daft Punk's "Discovery" on them is like a whole new listening experience. I'm looking to move up the line, but I'm not sure what would get me the most bang for my buck at this point. Maybe if I can snag a great deal on a pair of 225s it would be worth looking into. I am kind of worried when people say they're more uncomfortable than the 80s, though. The 80s are really comfortable for an hour or two, but after that they really start to ache my ears and I need a break.

Also unsure whether modding my 80s would be a good or bad idea. I'm terrified of screwing up the sound or even worse screwing up the phones completely and not having any music at all. What mods are fairly low-risk/high-reward for a newbie such as myself?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #56 of 60
Yeah that was my initial thought. Maybe I'll play around with superficial stuff like painting the casing/replacing the headband. Basically, stuff that doesn't alter the drivers or the cans in any way, and just leave the sound quality the way it is :)

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #57 of 60

Quote:
Yeah that was my initial thought. Maybe I'll play around with superficial stuff like painting the casing/replacing the headband. Basically, stuff that doesn't alter the drivers or the cans in any way, and just leave the sound quality the way it is :)

Just throw the pads in with your wash once or twice, using fabric softener. That's all it takes to get the pads softer. I don't notice much clamping with  my 80s, but just gently pull apart the  headband a bit and it will be more comfortable. My 80s are incredibly comfortable after doing this and it doesn't cost a dime.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #58 of 60
Yeah I don't find the clamping very uncomfortable either. Just meant as an aesthetic change, not a comfort one :) I find the Grados pretty comfortable, providing I take a break once an hour for about 10 minutes. Heck, even taking a quick break between sides of an LP seems to do the trick.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #59 of 60

Quote:

It's not like the 225i's are going to brutalize your ears
for the sake of some great and unique sound, lol

I can easily wear them three to four hours at a time,
and in fact if I'm tired I can even fall asleep with them on.

As for the 80's, I recommend that you leave them alone.
They do moderate in comfort after a short while.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

nooooo!!

Modding your cans is probably the best things you can do with them.

Seriously. Most of the mods are ridiculously simple. Sincerely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back