Grados SR80i's vs Grados SR225i's
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #31 of 60
What are your plans for the 80's? The fact that you bought both in almost a week of starting this thread is actually impressive lol. The grado sound really does seem to cause a love or hate reaction. I can see why people enjoy it, but I just never use mine. I definitely don't hate them, but I get tired of them really quickly and almost never use mine. Still a great headphone though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #32 of 60
I got the Presonus distribution amp last week and it sounds good to me. Granted, I am not an audiophile.
I tried it with my new grado sr225 headphones, my Alessandro MS1 headphones and also my Sennheiser 280 pro headphones.

They all sound good with this amp.  I am sure that an dedicated audiophile amp would be better, but this isn't bad on the cheap.
This Amp was made to monitor recordings, so I would think that what you hear is clean uncolored sound for the most part.

This thing has plenty of reserve power! Can only barely turn it up about 1/8th of potential .... your ears could not stand any more volume!

Maybe later I will purchase a "real" amp. I have heard how tube amps make the music sound warmer and fuller.

And if I need to go portable, from the reviews it seems the PA2V2 would make a good choice, as you said.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #33 of 60

Quote:
The SR-80i and SR-225i are virtually the same headphones.  The 225 has the bowl pads which places emphasis in the treble while the SR-80i has the Comfy pads which filters the bass giving the headphone a bit more oomph.  I did not hear any major improvement until I went to the SR-325i and up, but the discomfort drove me crazy because they rest on your ears and the driver covers are hard plastic.  No headphone should cause you say ouch.

I suggest investing in a pair of V-Moda M80/V80 headphones.  They are on-ear just like the Grados, but they are so much more comfortable.  Here are the charts for the SR-225i and SR-80i overlapped as well as the charts for the V-Moda M80/V80.

Grados:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353
See how there are hardly any differences in the frequency response.  Hard to believe that your ear will tell any difference either.

V-Moda
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM80.pdf
Much flatter frequency response and less wavy square wave response as well.  They are built like a tank too so you do not have to worry about tossing them into your bag.

Here is Tyll's review.  I highly recommend the M80/V80 over the Grado SR-80 and SR-225.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Nice to hear that you are enjoying your Grados. They did not work for me, but I understand their appeal.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #34 of 60

Quote:
Here's another option / thought. Have a look at the Alessandro MS1i. You can order straight off the Alessandro website - price is around USD 100.00 delivered. Depends on who you talk to - some say they're the equivalent of the SR125i. All I know is that they are my favourite 'fun' headphone. Plenty of modding options. May look flimsy - but so far I've found them pretty hardy - and they're pretty easy to repair anyway.

Grado comfort is a hit or miss. I agree that they're not the best - but I wouldn't swap mine. I have found that bowls help - YMMV - and there are a few things you can do with the headband.

Best part is that they are easily moddable - and you can get quite a few improvements - for reasonably cheap.

Here's my review - in case you interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/alessandro-ms1i/reviews/5667

And this is how they actually look now - probably finished modding for the most part (I'm extremely happy with the sound) - only other change might be recable with single-sided cable eventually.

+ 1 for the Alessandro MS1i.  They are probably the best value per $ spent of all Grado family.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #35 of 60

Quote:
Hi all,

I just wanted to give people an update if they care enough.  So after buying the SR80i's, I was blindsided.  It was love at first listen and I now almost use these phones exclusively.  I was really amazed at the clarity and quality of the sound which is comparable to my SRH840's though the mids are a bit lacking and they can be quite harsh at times.  With around 25 hours of burn in, the highs were tamed a bit and they began to sound even better than ever.

This was until I couldn't help myself and bought the SR225i's for 30 bucks with use of my Amazon credit.  I'm listening to them now and WOW.  At first I didn't expect to hear any major differences from the SR80i's but straight out of the box I can already tell that the 225i's are AMAZING.  The clarity completely blows the 80i's out of the water.  The harshness was non existent and the mids were so much more prominent and refined. Also that bass is tight though its true that it does lack impact!  But man, the clarity is really something to behold and I can't wait till I get more hours of listening on these bad boys.

Thank you guys for all your help and my initiation into the Grado fanclub!

Very glad to hear that you ended up with the 225i's.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #36 of 60
Heya guys. Quick question. What's the most I should pay for the 225's in an auction? I auditioned the sr80's and although the vocal had this very weird color to it, I enjoyed it a lot. Only problem was bass was lacking as the bass guitar in one of the songs I tried was barely audible. Will the 225's fix this? I'm not too keen to spend too much as these can't be used for anything other than music and only when there is nobody around.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #37 of 60
they tend to sell for around 150-170 here

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #38 of 60

Quote:
they tend to sell for around 150-170 here

Dollars I'm assuming? I paid £125 inc postage for mine. No warranty. User said he bought it 4 years ago but has hardly used it. Is that a good price?

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #39 of 60
Recieved my 225's a couple of hours ago. Right away I have to say the build quality is shambolic. I had tried the sr80i beforehand and for the price I didn't mind how it felt because I found it quite comfortable. The 225's are a completely different story though. For £200+ they should have the decency to use better materials but this thing feels like a toy. The cups are horrid. I thought the comfort issues would be exaggerated because I found the 80's to be quite comfortable but the cups on the 225 go around my ear so that the drivers are completely resting on my ears while the inside of the cups crush my outer ear. If a company is going to go around putting worlds like "prestige" and "worlds finest", and all the other phrases they use to elevate their own status, they should at least make an effort with the build. It feels like mr Grado is really scrounging for money with this model due to the cheap materials, the flimsy doughnut box, but worst of all, he couldn't even include a reducer, instead selling it seperately for £12. It seems the cups were intentionally made uncomfortable as well, forcing you to buy seperate pads. These are going straight back to where they come from. Your not getting your grubby mitts on my money Mr.Grado.

Sound quality wise compared to the sr80's, I instantly noticed that the really weird effect to the vocals was gone. This is kind of a postitive and negative as the colour did sound fun but obviously it wasn't natural. These have more bass than the 80's from memory, making even my bassy pop songs sound enjoyable. Vocals are upfront but the 225's feel slightly laid back compared to the 80's. Despite how people say these will make you feel like you are at a rock concert, I'm just not getting that feeling. My rock songs sound just as enjoyable on my HTF600's and E10's, but it is a bit early to give a good judgement. Overall I'm dissappointed. I can't stand companies who over promote themselves like beats and Grado's, especially when they don't back it up. If I do ever pick up a grado again It'll probably the sr80 if I can get it dirt cheap, but I can safely say I will never buy grado again.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #40 of 60
did you really just compare Grados to Beats? 
mad.gif

Just so you know the different pads are supposed to sound better. And there are ways to make them more comfortable as well. The soft pads that you had with the 80's probably sounded darker because they completely cover the driver. If you want the 225's to be more comfortable, slide the back half of the cushion off the rim while leaving the front half on. When I do this I notice better soundstage and much more comfort. And when I owned the 80's I never thought of the build materials as cheap. The extra money for the 225's is for SOUND. And what's wrong with the box?

Side note...why do people always see the 1/4inch plug as a flaw? To me it says "I'm of high quality," because if you want great sound then you need an amp. If you don't like it, then spend an extra 5 bucks to get a new 1/8th inch plug.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by crepuscular457 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Side note...why do people always see the 1/4inch plug as a flaw? To me it says "I'm of high quality," because if you want great sound then you need an amp. If you don't like it, then spend an extra 5 bucks to get a new 1/8th inch plug.

I'm not sure if the 1/4" phone plug is considered a 'flaw' as much as it's seen as an inconvenience today when so many audio inputs are the 3.5mm mini type.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #42 of 60

Quote:
Hi all,

I just wanted to give people an update if they care enough.  So after buying the SR80i's, I was blindsided.  It was love at first listen and I now almost use these phones exclusively.  I was really amazed at the clarity and quality of the sound which is comparable to my SRH840's though the mids are a bit lacking and they can be quite harsh at times.  With around 25 hours of burn in, the highs were tamed a bit and they began to sound even better than ever.

This was until I couldn't help myself and bought the SR225i's for 30 bucks with use of my Amazon credit.  I'm listening to them now and WOW.  At first I didn't expect to hear any major differences from the SR80i's but straight out of the box I can already tell that the 225i's are AMAZING.  The clarity completely blows the 80i's out of the water.  The harshness was non existent and the mids were so much more prominent and refined. Also that bass is tight though its true that it does lack impact!  But man, the clarity is really something to behold and I can't wait till I get more hours of listening on these bad boys.

Thank you guys for all your help and my initiation into the Grado fanclub!

Every time I read a post like this, it reminds me of the day I first heard my SR80s...I upgraded to the 325s pretty soon after that, just as you did to the 225s, but my 80s still get a lot of play time. And I know what you mean about being blindsided. I was running through some lower end cans from various companies, and the only other "real" headphones I had at the time were some sennheiser 518s. I could not believe how much more I loved the 80s than the Senns. A new Grado fan was born :) 

The 225s are typically considered the "sweet spot" in terms of value for the Grado line, and from what I understand very close to the 325s in terms of overall sound quality. Great choice to go with that model, and I'm sure you'll have many excellent listening sessions with those babies :wink:  How do you like the bass on those? That's one of my favorite aspects of the Grado headphones. Although they aren't bottom feeders that are flat to 5hz, the bass is of such high quality...so tight and crisp...it's addicting. Just watching Amazing Race earlier tonight on the 80s, there were some scenes with bass heavy music, and it sounded fantastic. I use my 325s for mostly music, and the low end with those is just beautiful. I imagine it's about the same on the 225s.

Enjoy brother!

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #43 of 60

Quote:
did you really just compare Grados to Beats? 
mad.gif

Just so you know the different pads are supposed to sound better. And there are ways to make them more comfortable as well. The soft pads that you had with the 80's probably sounded darker because they completely cover the driver. If you want the 225's to be more comfortable, slide the back half of the cushion off the rim while leaving the front half on. When I do this I notice better soundstage and much more comfort. And when I owned the 80's I never thought of the build materials as cheap. The extra money for the 225's is for SOUND. And what's wrong with the box?

I agree...the build quality on the Grados is fine. Some people just have to find something to whine about apparently, but while the build is SIMPLE, it's not poor by any means. As I've mentioned before, you can find people all over this site who have had their Grado cans for years and years. Additionally, my understanding is that Grado has fantastic customer service should anything ever go wrong. I doubt I'll ever need to test that for myself, but if I do I'm glad to know that others have had such positive experiences with them.

Some people really should just stick to their Beats and leave the Grados for those of us who appreciate them.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #44 of 60

Quote:
If you think the build quality is fine good for you. If the grado's were made of paper you probably wouldn't mind. My £30 panasonics feel more expensive. Heck practically most headphones less than £100 look and feel more expensive. I don't accept the fact that all the money is going towards the drivers. It's just a slight modification and they increase the price by £100 for each increment. And if you guys read my comment properly I said they compared to beats in that they over exaggerate their quality. "Worlds finest headphones"? The sound is enjoyable but I wouldn't go that far.

Looks can be deceiving mate - your 'more expensive than they look' HTF600's may pack it up and die one day while your scrappy looking 225i's will probably
 just keep on going on and on. 

The real meat in your commentary lay with the now infamous Grado box - obviously packaging matters to you, oh so pretty packaging makes all
 the difference to some.

Then there is the issue that perhaps your source material just sucks - Grado's won't turn crap recordings into golden nuggets, there is nothing
 wrong with a collection full of cheap punk recordings and case of beer rock recordings - but you may need some perspective on that.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #45 of 60
Wow - just read all of that.

The Grados maybe aren't for you - they're an acquired taste - some like them some don't.  Return them and move on - no need for the vitriol.  

On the matter of comfort - agree - they're never going to be Beyers.  But it really is down to preference.  I've tried the comfies and the TTVJ flats, and for me, the bowls actually are the most comfortable.  If you bend the headband a little so that the clamp lessens, it'll ease the comfort a lot.

Regarding the drivers - just my own personal experience - there is definite sonic difference going up the ladder.  I started with MS1i (and for me - these ARE the sweet spot in the Grado/Alessandro line).  I've also heard the 80s and the 225s, and I recently transplanted 325 drivers into my woodies - and I'm definitely enjoying them.

Regarding build - no problem with your opinion on them - but where you see 'flimsy', I see simple, practical, and great for modding.  And that's where the true beauty in the Grado design is.  I can take a $100 headphone, change the cable, the cups, and upgrade the drivers - all for around $200-250 extra, and come-up with a headphone that sounds like (to me) much higher end.  You should try it with your SR80i. I had never soldered or done anything like modding before, but it is surprisingly easy if you are patient - and the rewards are considerable.

Regarding not being that great for rock - subjective.  I personally think they are.  I haven't heard anything quite as engaging (so far) for rock or blues.  Bonamassa live on my 325i fwj is something pretty special.  Are you talking classic rock - or the j-pop / k-pop listed as the main music you listen to in your profile?

But from your posts overall, I'd suggest Grado may not be for you.  No need to slam the company.  Stick with your Pannies.  You'll save a lot of money and be happy.  Spend the money you've saved on more music - that's where the real sweet spot is after all.  And leave the Grados for those who really appreciate them for what they are (me included).

Peace.

Recieved my 225's a couple of hours ago. Right away I have to say the build quality is shambolic. I had tried the sr80i beforehand and for the price I didn't mind how it felt because I found it quite comfortable. The 225's are a completely different story though. For £200+ they should have the decency to use better materials but this thing feels like a toy. The cups are horrid. I thought the comfort issues would be exaggerated because I found the 80's to be quite comfortable but the cups on the 225 go around my ear so that the drivers are completely resting on my ears while the inside of the cups crush my outer ear. If a company is going to go around putting worlds like "prestige" and "worlds finest", and all the other phrases they use to elevate their own status, they should at least make an effort with the build. It feels like mr Grado is really scrounging for money with this model due to the cheap materials, the flimsy doughnut box, but worst of all, he couldn't even include a reducer, instead selling it seperately for £12. It seems the cups were intentionally made uncomfortable as well, forcing you to buy seperate pads. These are going straight back to where they come from. Your not getting your grubby mitts on my money Mr.Grado.

Sound quality wise compared to the sr80's, I instantly noticed that the really weird effect to the vocals was gone. This is kind of a postitive and negative as the colour did sound fun but obviously it wasn't natural. These have more bass than the 80's from memory, making even my bassy pop songs sound enjoyable. Vocals are upfront but the 225's feel slightly laid back compared to the 80's. Despite how people say these will make you feel like you are at a rock concert, I'm just not getting that feeling. My rock songs sound just as enjoyable on my HTF600's and E10's, but it is a bit early to give a good judgement. Overall I'm dissappointed. I can't stand companies who over promote themselves like beats and Grado's, especially when they don't back it up. If I do ever pick up a grado again It'll probably the sr80 if I can get it dirt cheap, but I can safely say I will never buy grado again.

If you think the build quality is fine good for you. If the grado's were made of paper you probably wouldn't mind. My £30 panasonics feel more expensive. Heck practically most headphones less than £100 look and feel more expensive. I don't accept the fact that all the money is going towards the drivers. It's just a slight modification and they increase the price by £100 for each increment. And if you guys read my comment properly I said they compared to beats in that they over exaggerate their quality. "Worlds finest headphones"? The sound is enjoyable but I wouldn't go that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back