Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Apr 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #481 of 538
What Headphone replacement cushions would you all recommend for the SR80e? I live in FL and the stock foam cushions are gonna get hot during the summer. Any better materials for these great over ear cans?

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #482 of 538
  What Headphone replacement cushions would you all recommend for the SR80e? I live in FL and the stock foam cushions are gonna get hot during the summer. Any better materials for these great over ear cans?

Nope, the best IMO are the Grado (L) cushions.
The 80e come "stock with the (S) cushions.
If you don't already have the (L) cushions, I highly recommend getting them.
As far as the heat is concerned, the foam is probably the best option…Ear Zonk makes a vinyl replacement pad,which I tried out of curiosity, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! You can read my review on Amazon about them if you would like.
http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/product-reviews/B00OM21W1I/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=all_reviews&filterByStar=all_stars&pageNumber=2

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #484 of 538
^ Very nice ^

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #485 of 538
Three days ago I pulled out my SR80 for the first time in at least 10 years. The earpads were crumbling. A quick order to Grado for the L pads and I'm back in business. What a great set of phones for the money and gateway to high end audio. I listened for a few hours through my JDS Labs C5D. Very nice.

May 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #486 of 538
I'm thinking about picking up the sr80e in the nearish future. I've heard they work really well for rock, but how about music with a more acoustic focus? Folk/Folk Rock, Indie Singer/songwriter? And how is the soundstage? I've heard Grado's house sound includes very forward mids, but I'd like something fairly open with good stereo imaging. It doesn't have to sound like I'm sitting in an amphitheatre, but something significantly more open than my M50x would be nice. 

May 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #487 of 538
  I'm thinking about picking up the sr80e in the nearish future. I've heard they work really well for rock, but how about music with a more acoustic focus? Folk/Folk Rock, Indie Singer/songwriter? And how is the soundstage? I've heard Grado's house sound includes very forward mids, but I'd like something fairly open with good stereo imaging. It doesn't have to sound like I'm sitting in an amphitheatre, but something significantly more open than my M50x would be nice. 

My first impressions of my SR80i a few days ago was that it was wonderful with acoustic music; I tried "Trains" by Porcupine Tree on them and the guitar really shone through, as did vocals. I think they'd be great for anything acoustic. I've also found them to sound quite open, with good imaging; soundstage isn't large, but it's better than something like the M50x (last I tried it at least). Mids on the M50x were pushed back quite a bit, so the mids on these may be very forwards for you. Also be sure they'll be comfortable; I find them very comfy, though others hate the comfort. 

May 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #488 of 538
Thanks, it sounds like they'd fit the bill pretty well for my purposes. It's still a toss-up between the sr80e and the ATH-AD700x, but that gets me a little closer to a decision. 

May 18, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #489 of 538
  Thanks, it sounds like they'd fit the bill pretty well for my purposes. It's still a toss-up between the sr80e and the ATH-AD700x, but that gets me a little closer to a decision. 

Even though I own much more expensive Grados, I still think that the SR80e are good sounding headphones, regardless of price, so when you factor in their low selling price, they simply become ridiculously good, and a MAJOR no brainer.

Now that I know how good they sound, for how little they cost, I don't think that I could buy a second pair without bursting out laughing, in my salseman's face.

Oh!, fyi, I have L-cushions on mine though.

May 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #491 of 538
Acoustic/folk/singer songwriter genres sound amazing on all my Grados, and the 80s are what started it all for me. Play just about anything from Jack Johnson on the 80s and you'll be very impressed. 

And they sound anything but closed in...one of the first comments I ever posted about them was how it was like they just energized the air around me with music as opposed to feeling like I had headphones on. I still use my 80s all the time. As stacker said, they are a no-brainer. 

May 18, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #492 of 538
  Acoustic/folk/singer songwriter genres sound amazing on all my Grados, and the 80s are what started it all for me. Play just about anything from Jack Johnson on the 80s and you'll be very impressed. 

And they sound anything but closed in...one of the first comments I ever posted about them was how it was like they just energized the air around me with music as opposed to feeling like I had headphones on. I still use my 80s all the time. As stacker said, they are a no-brainer.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I just kept hearing people talk about the forward mids, so I wasn't sure whether they would sound as open as I would like them to. 

May 18, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #493 of 538

Correction Buddy, I didn't say that they're a no brainer, I said that they're a MAJOR no brainer.
wink.gif

To answer slmckay73's question, I think that the SR80e will sound a bit more open with the L-cushions, than they would with the stock s-cushions, but SR models in general, and even the RS serie, doesn't sound as open as the GS/PS1000 do with their big G-cushions.

Notice that I often use terms like ''slightly'', ''a bit more'' ''a little less'', this is because I hate exagerations, so I try to ''weight'' my words as best I can in order to give you the most accurate answers possible.

In my opinion, the L-cushions take the SR80e, to the next level. Wit that I can.h these pads, the SR80e get a slight increase in treble extension, and they also sound a bit more detailed. The L-pads will also increase the size of their soundstage. You will experience a slight loss of bass, but since the e serie headphones have good bass extension to begin with, it's not too bad.

And for future consideration,  I just want to mention to slmckay73, that I think that all of the SR models have benefited from the changes that the e serie has brought, with the SR325e being the model that has benefited the most .

May 19, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #494 of 538

Correction Buddy, I didn't say that they're a no brainer, I said that they're a MAJOR no brainer.
wink.gif

Duly noted, my brother :) 

May 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #495 of 538

wink.gif

To answer slmckay73's question, I think that the SR80e will sound a bit more open with the L-cushions, than they would with the stock s-cushions, but SR models in general, and even the RS serie, doesn't sound as open as the GS/PS1000 do with their big G-cushions.

Notice that I often use terms like ''slightly'', ''a bit more'' ''a little less'', this is because I hate exagerations, so I try to ''weight'' my words as best I can in order to give you the most accurate answers possible.

In my opinion, the L-cushions take the SR80e, to the next level. Wit that I can.h these pads, the SR80e get a slight increase in treble extension, and they also sound a bit more detailed. The L-pads will also increase the size of their soundstage. You will experience a slight loss of bass, but since the e serie headphones have good bass extension to begin with, it's not too bad.

And for future consideration,  I just want to mention to slmckay73, that I think that all of the SR models have benefited from the changes that the e serie has brought, with the SR325e being the model that has benefited the most .

Looks like the L cushions might be a worthwhile investment, then. It certainly couldn't hurt to at least try them out with the sr80e being at such a great price point. In reply to the improvements of the e series, I had heard that they were sort of smoothed over a bit for the better. Would you say that has been your experience? Thanks for answering my questions by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back