Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Nov 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #451 of 538
  hi all...

im checking out little dot I+ reviews atm... i have around +/- $150 to spend for an amp. buying it from ebay will cost me another 45%-ish on import tax. so before buying i'd really like to know other members experiences with the amp.

my headphone is sr80e... what kinds of improvements will i get from the LD I+...?

btw, im new to audio speak... i've read this http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary but it's a little confusing here and there to be honest.
i'd like to ask specifically about resolution. other than sr80e, i also had shure 940 before it broke. i felt the shure940 has more details than my sr80e.

is that what in audio-speak by "resolution"? because i couldnt grasp the sound glossary explanation of resolution..

will getting LD 1+ nets me more details and clarity (resolution?) than straight PC + fiio e10k...?
aslo... does LD 1+ includes mini to RCA cables in the package?

cheersss

I have never heard the fiio e10k so i really can not compare the LD1+ to tham amp.

I can vouch for the LD1+ as being a very good amp with Grados......I mean for a very reasonable amount of cash you get an opamp and a tube rolling option....you do have to open the amp up to change opamps, but it is very easy.

Only thing is you could get bit by the tub bug 
very_evil_smiley.gif

There is a huge thread about tube rolling options for the LD1+

You could still get awesome sound from a solid state amp and take the tubes out of the equation.

even when I upgraded from LD1= to the mad ear.....I still kept the LD1+....it is such a nice bargain of a hybrid amp.....kind of like your sR80, just a darn good deal for the price 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #452 of 538
  I have never heard the fiio e10k so i really can not compare the LD1+ to tham amp.

I can vouch for the LD1+ as being a very good amp with Grados......I mean for a very reasonable amount of cash you get an opamp and a tube rolling option....you do have to open the amp up to change opamps, but it is very easy.

very_evil_smiley.gif

You could still get awesome sound from a solid state amp and take the tubes out of the equation.

even when I upgraded from LD1= to the mad ear.....I still kept the LD1+....it is such a nice bargain of a hybrid amp.....kind of like your sR80, just a darn good deal for the price 
smile.gif

no yeah no. i should've word it better. my PC (laptop really). my laptop has a very bad DAC. **** dac, pardon my french. hahaha

so the fiio e10k i only use mainly for its dac. and im going to use the e10k as a dac with LD 1+ as well if i buy it.

i've used sr60 for a looooong time. but it broke (just the left channel cable really) and between shipping them to grado asia representatives vs. buying sr80e locally, i felt that it's easier to do the latter.

so i have sr80e. i agreed with everything diamondears said abt the diff. between sr80i and sr80e particularly the grainy sounds. the low-end E series gives better details than the I series. (wait? maybe it's from the E series thread. haha)

so yeah, i've known the value of grado's low-end model prestige series for a long time. it's amazing. for average people (not people that's into hi-fi as a hobby), grado presents an IMMENSE value per dollar. hehe.

anyway.... may i ask what does people mean when they review and mention "technicality" and "resolutions". what's a resolution?

is my shure srh940 captures far more details including singers breath means that it has better "resolution" than the sr80e?
because honestly, clarity wise, i think my sr80e and shure srh940 is both clear (in non audio-speak definition of clearness...)

basically my question is what improvements will i get by using LD I+? will i get improved "resolutions" by getting an LD 1+?
if that's the correct usage of resolutions...
i really don't care about bass improvement, i actually like thin bass. i'm more bass-sensitive than i am treble-sensitive really...
and um, since LD 1+ only have pre-amp tubes and solid state amp... will i still get that "syrupy tube sound" or those words people use to describe tube amps... (i've never heard how it sounds like and a little curious whether i'll get to hear that syrupy tubey sound from a mere pre-amp tubes...)

im sorry to ask you lots of questions. head-fi glossary sound definition is unclear on some parts to me... 

rovopio :D

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #453 of 538

very_evil_smiley.gif

smile.gif

+1

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #454 of 538
So today I decided to try the L-cush on my SR80i, and the damn driver and it's housing seperated from the ear cup. Now, what do you guys think is the best way to fix that, I'm guessing hot glue, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to these things, so once they're repaired, I'll probably give them to my god dauther. Of course I'll have to replace them, so tomorrow, I'll go check out the new e serie SR80, I just hope I'll like them has much as I like my i serie.

Oh!, and I love my LD-1+ too, so much in fact,, that I bought a second one, for my den. They still have the stock tubes, so I'd like to try something different, but I don't want to have to fiddle with the little switches inside, look at what happend to my SR80i, it's clear that I don't know my own strenght, so I want plug and play, tubes. So,  if you guys want to make suggestions, I'm all ears.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #455 of 538
  So today I decided to try the L-cush on my SR80i, and the damn driver and it's housing seperated from the ear cup. Now, what do you guys think is the best way to fix that, I'm guessing hot glue, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to these things, so once they're repaired, I'll probably give them to my god dauther. Of course I'll have to replace them, so tomorrow, I'll go check out the new e serie SR80, I just hope I'll like them has much as I like my i serie.

Oh!, and I love my LD-1+ too, so much in fact,, that I bought a second one, for my den. They still have the stock tubes, so I'd like to try something different, but I don't want to have to fiddle with the little switches inside, look at what happend to my SR80i, it's clear that I don't know my own strenght, so I want plug and play, tubes. So,  if you guys want to make suggestions, I'm all ears.

hi, will i get mini to rca cable from buying little dot 1+?
im thinking of plugging it to my usb dac (fiio e10k)...

also, will clarity increased by plugging it to LD 1+? and will i get that "syrupy tube-y sound" from it?
i sort of want to know what everybody talks about when describing tube amp... and since LD 1+ is only pre-amp tubes, im wondering if it sounds like full-on tube amp?

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #456 of 538

hi, will i get mini to rca cable from buying little dot 1+?
im thinking of plugging it to my usb dac (fiio e10k)...

also, will clarity increased by plugging it to LD 1+? and will i get that "syrupy tube-y sound" from it?
i sort of want to know what everybody talks about when describing tube amp... and since LD 1+ is only pre-amp tubes, im wondering if it sounds like full-on tube amp?

I do not believe the LD1+ comes with any cable......just check monoprice.com for those

The only way to find out if it is an improvement over your system, is to give it a try.

The LD1+ is a hybrid amp and a nice one....and you can change the sound with the tubes.....it does not sound like a pure tube amp....but you would have to spend quite a bit more money to get a pure tube amp.....even if you buy it used.

I think you would really enjoy the LD1+........imo it is a great introduction to tubes.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #457 of 538
  I do not believe the LD1+ comes with any cable......just check monoprice.com for those

The only way to find out if it is an improvement over your system, is to give it a try.

The LD1+ is a hybrid amp and a nice one....and you can change the sound with the tubes.....it does not sound like a pure tube amp....but you would have to spend quite a bit more money to get a pure tube amp.....even if you buy it used.

I think you would really enjoy the LD1+........imo it is a great introduction to tubes.

A couple of years ago, my LD1+ came with a 1/8 to L/R RCA cable.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #458 of 538

A couple of years ago, my LD1+ came with a 1/8 to L/R RCA cable.

whoops...sorry, my bad....I stand corrected.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #460 of 538

thanks for the explanation guys... (and girls...)

i dont have that much a budget to work with, so ill take you guys opinion to consideration... cheers!!

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #461 of 538
thanks for the explanation guys... (and girls...)

i dont have that much a budget to work with, so ill take you guys opinion to consideration... cheers!!

I have not heard the little dot 1+ but I had the LD2+ (now called the mk2) which I got used in good condition.

They made my grados a little mellower which is great (it suited my music) but they were a little bulky for desk use at the time so I sold them after a few months.

With the new sr80e which are supposedly mellower than the old ones, I'm not sure how they'd stack up.

You might want to get an E7 or similar to improve your source. My laptop hp out sounds tinny/brighter(yuck)

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #462 of 538
I have not heard the little dot 1+ but I had the LD2+ (now called the mk2) which I got used in good condition.

They made my grados a little mellower which is great (it suited my music) but they were a little bulky for desk use at the time so I sold them after a few months.

With the new sr80e which are supposedly mellower than the old ones, I'm not sure how they'd stack up.

You might want to get an E7 or similar to improve your source. My laptop hp out sounds tinny/brighter(yuck)

im using a fiio e10k. it's a simple <$100 USB dac / amp. mostly because my laptop amp sucks with hisses as well. hehe...

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #463 of 538
Just bought myself a new SR80e's and very happy with them.   really true value for the money , I almost feel guilty :)
but one thing bothers me..with the comfy pads there is too much bass and less highs than I expected, It almost don't sound like a grado.      Would you guys recommend trying bowls with them?   any thoughts about SR80's with bowls ?
Actually I am afraid that with bowls they will be too piercing . and I wonder if it is worth trying.

Thx.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #464 of 538
  Just bought myself a new SR80e's and very happy with them.   really true value for the money , I almost feel guilty :)
but one thing bothers me..with the comfy pads there is too much bass and less highs than I expected, It almost don't sound like a grado.      Would you guys recommend trying bowls with them?   any thoughts about SR80's with bowls ?
Actually I am afraid that with bowls they will be too piercing . and I wonder if it is worth trying.

Thx.

I highly recommend the (L) cushions for the SR models that come with the (S) cushions.
I use the (L) cushions with my 80i's and love them… well worth the $20.00 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back