Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Sep 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #421 of 538
I am thinking i might buy a pair of these for my little brothers birthday. (So i can use them aswell) just thinking though he likes bass, but i love the looks of the grado headphone. I currently have the audio technica m50x, are the grados a completely different sound being open back and how is the bass, and also how much sound leak do they have, also can you wear them for long periods of time?

Unfortunately I haven't heard the M50x but would expect the bass response to be quite strong in them considering the closed back. I personally find the Grado's really comfortable, they're really light and the l cushions cause me no discomfort but some people do complain of discomfort from the way they sit on your ears rather than over them. They also leak a lot of sound, when I'm listening to them other people around me can clearly hear which tune is playing. As regards bass they can be deceptive. Because they are a bright headphone you can be tricked, at first, into thinking the bass is light. However, after you're ears adjust after a track or two the bass becomes really nicely defined. Not boomy but detailed and dynamic. When listening to bass heavy electronic or rap and r&b music etc I find the bass really quite strong but never overwhelming and never at the expense of the other frequency registers.

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #422 of 538
@mdh994

They may not be the most comfortable because the cups clamp against your ears.

Bass doesn't hit as hard due to the open design so it depends on the songs you listen to. I like it for stuff like A7X/Pixies (electric guitars).

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #423 of 538
Unfortunately I haven't heard the M50x but would expect the bass response to be quite strong in them considering the closed back. I personally find the Grado's really comfortable, they're really light and the l cushions cause me no discomfort but some people do complain of discomfort from the way they sit on your ears rather than over them. They also leak a lot of sound, when I'm listening to them other people around me can clearly hear which tune is playing. As regards bass they can be deceptive. Because they are a bright headphone you can be tricked, at first, into thinking the bass is light. However, after you're ears adjust after a track or two the bass becomes really nicely defined. Not boomy but detailed and dynamic. When listening to bass heavy electronic or rap and r&b music etc I find the bass really quite strong but never overwhelming and never at the expense of the other frequency registers.

Thanks for the reply, he will be most likely using them to play games like gran turismo world of tanks and other racing games.

@mdh994

They may not be the most comfortable because the cups clamp against your ears.

Bass doesn't hit as hard due to the open design so it depends on the songs you listen to. I like it for stuff like A7X/Pixies (electric guitars).

He mainly listens to the same stuff I listen to like rock and a bit of bassy electronic music and aussie hip hop

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #425 of 538
I'm wondering if there is anybody else here besides me, who is using the TTVJ flats with their SR80i, and if so, I'd like to know what you like about them, and if you have tryed any other pads with them also?.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #426 of 538
  I'm wondering if there is anybody else here besides me, who is using the TTVJ flats with their SR80i, and if so, I'd like to know what you like about them, and if you have tryed any other pads with them also?.

Not the SR80's...but i have used them on the sr60i.......not bad....but i personally still prefer the L-cushion

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #427 of 538
Have to concur that L cushions have sounded best with the SR80's. Never tried flats but I'm guessing the closeness to the ear would limit their openness compared to L's. On the plus side though, there would definitely be more bass if you preferred it as such.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #428 of 538
  Have to concur that L cushions have sounded best with the SR80's. Never tried flats but I'm guessing the closeness to the ear would limit their openness compared to L's. On the plus side though, there would definitely be more bass if you preferred it as such.

i totally agree that the flats add bass....it is just at the expense of the mids.

So which ever one would prefer...I myself am a mids lover  
smile.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #429 of 538
Don't you guys think that the flats also tame the highs a bit, as well?. Anyway, I will revisit the L later today, who knows, I might have missed something the first time.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #430 of 538
Of course. The closer your ears are to the drivers the lesser the highs but also the more bass. The SR80i's are never going to excel in bass even though I think they have a fairly decent quantity and excellent quality. That's why I prefer to play into its strength (mids) and fit them in L's.

They may become too harsh for you - I'm particularly sensitive to lower treble and even for me it can get a bit too much especially if I don't wear them right.

I just feel that if the recording is mastered well then the sound can be quite euphoric as it is so clean and open and not squashed as with the S cushions. Soundstage is vastly improved and the overall sound is smoother (except for the spikes).

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #431 of 538

i totally agree that the flats add bass....it is just at the expense of the mids.

So which ever one would prefer...I myself am a mids lover  
smile.gif

I would have to agree with whirlwind on the flats adding to the bass at the expense of the mid-range (which is most important too me). I liked the TTVJ flats with the 80/325, but definitely not as much as the (L) cushions on both...and eventually sold off the flat pads. Also I have no issues with the bass/treble with either the 80/325, I enjoy both the lows/highs they offer with the (L) cushions.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #432 of 538
Looks like I'm the only one using the flats on the SR80i. Like I said, maybe I missed something the first time. I know that we sometimes have to go back and forth a few times, to really get a feel of what each set of pads is doing.

I have to confess, I am lazy, I hate comparing headphones, swapping pads cables etc. I swear I get so mad at myself sometimes, it's a good thing that I am not one to old the grudge, so, I usually forgive myself within the next few minutes. Trust me, it's very hard to stay mad at me, I am VERY likable.

Seriously, I am getting ready to atch a concert on DVD, and I am  having a hard time coosing wich one. Not only that but I also have to pick wich headphones I am going tu use. I mean, some people wonder where their next meal is going to come from. The reason I just said all this, is not to make you feel guilty, it's to make you feel fortunate,and I hpoe that I have succeeded.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #433 of 538
  Looks like I'm the only one using the flats on the SR80i. Like I said, maybe I missed something the first time. I know that we sometimes have to go back and forth a few times, to really get a feel of what each set of pads is doing.

I have to confess, I am lazy, I hate comparing headphones, swapping pads cables etc. I swear I get so mad at myself sometimes, it's a good thing that I am not one to old the grudge, so, I usually forgive myself within the next few minutes. Trust me, it's very hard to stay mad at me, I am VERY likable.

Seriously, I am getting ready to atch a concert on DVD, and I am  having a hard time coosing wich one. Not only that but I also have to pick wich headphones I am going tu use. I mean, some people wonder where their next meal is going to come from. The reason I just said all this, is not to make you feel guilty, it's to make you feel fortunate,and I hpoe that I have succeeded.

Well you definitely succeeded in my book, because you are 1000% right, we are all very fortunate for EVERYTHING!!!
As far as I can remember, when I had asked you if you've ever tried the (L) cushions on your 80's and you said no, but then tried them, you loved them.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #434 of 538
I did like them Joseph, I still do, I like the added midrange clarity, and the bigger soundstage, it's just that one day, i decided to try them with my spare HP1000 pads and ended up preferring the added bass, the smoother mids and treble that the flats bring to the table.

This hobby is just one big gray area, and it's one of the reason I love it so much.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #435 of 538
  I did like them Joseph, I still do, I like the added midrange clarity, and the bigger soundstage, it's just that one day, i decided to try them with my spare HP1000 pads and ended up preferring the added bass, the smoother mids and treble that the flats bring to the table.

This hobby is just one big gray area, and it's one of the reason I love it so much.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back