Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Jul 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #406 of 538
Just received my SR-80e from UPS.

I'm listening to them with my Headroom MicroStack (circa 2006'ish).  I haven't really compared them to any of my other headphones yet, but my first impressions are positive.

I do have a question for those of you that owned older versions (SR-80, SR-80i):  Does the SR-80e have "more" bass than the older models?  I have never had a chance to listen to any of the older models.  One complaint I read often was a lack of bass.  My first impressions are that the bass is adequate in the SR-80e - certainly nothing to grumble about, unless one is looking for things that have a lot of low end like Beats (I've only listened to them at the store).

I'll have to listen to some of my other cans and compare them...

I have the original sr80 and don't find them lacking in bass at all. I think what you may be referring to is the muddy bass thump often found in poorer quality headphones, which due to beats, has to the uneducated, become the benchmark of quality. Whereas the Grado's do not deliver that bass thump, they do deliver detailed and accurate bass. Enjoy them, they're a really fun headphone!

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #407 of 538
  Just received my SR-80e from UPS.

I'm listening to them with my Headroom MicroStack (circa 2006'ish).  I haven't really compared them to any of my other headphones yet, but my first impressions are positive.

I do have a question for those of you that owned older versions (SR-80, SR-80i):  Does the SR-80e have "more" bass than the older models?  I have never had a chance to listen to any of the older models.  One complaint I read often was a lack of bass.  My first impressions are that the bass is adequate in the SR-80e - certainly nothing to grumble about, unless one is looking for things that have a lot of low end like Beats (I've only listened to them at the store).

I'll have to listen to some of my other cans and compare them...

I own the 80i, and definitely don't find them lacking in bass, but they are certainly not bass heavy headphones. I find the bass to be of quality…tight/fast/precise! I plan on listening to my 80's tonight through my WA6, and can't wait to hear how they sound, being I only use them with my MBP-Magni/Modi combo for my desktop…they are awesome headphones!
Congratulations on your new 80's, enjoy!

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #408 of 538
I do have a question for those of you that owned older versions (SR-80, SR-80i):  Does the SR-80e have "more" bass than the older models?  I have never had a chance to listen to any of the older models.  One complaint I read often was a lack of bass.  My first impressions are that the bass is adequate in the SR-80e - certainly nothing to grumble about.

80e has more bass than either of the earlier ones. The other two are quite similar to each other, and 80 has a bit more than 80i.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #409 of 538
80e has more bass than either of the earlier ones. The other two are quite similar to each other, and 80 has a bit more than 80i.

The original sr80 are also much lower profile. I've heard that the newer, deeper cups give a wider soundstage. I did have a pair of sr80i at one point but didn't spend enough time listening to them to observe the difference.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #410 of 538
Finally have wood cups for my 80i's. Bass is much better but only with the stock cushions. G,L and quarter mod with cheap replacement S cushions lacked bass to my ears. With the stock cushions,they sound like my 225i's with less sparkle and soundstage but I still like it.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #411 of 538
Finally have wood cups for my 80i's. Bass is much better but only with the stock cushions. G,L and quarter mod with cheap replacement S cushions lacked bass to my ears. With the stock cushions,they sound like my 225i's with less sparkle and soundstage but I still like it.

I'd like to see what they look like. I've been debating the wood cup mod on my old 80's for a while.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #413 of 538
The original sr80 are also much lower profile. I've heard that the newer, deeper cups give a wider soundstage. I did have a pair of sr80i at one point but didn't spend enough time listening to them to observe the difference.

I didn't notice a difference in soundstage though I wasn't focused on that when I compared them. If there's a difference, it's not striking.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #416 of 538
I have the SR80i, and tryed G,and L pads, and came away preferring the TTVJ flats, they add a bit of bass, and tame the highs a hair, so I think that it's the best compromise.

Just my two cents.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #417 of 538
I brought the SR-80e to work today to listen to music off of my iPod and RSA Hornet.  Normally, I use a pair of Etymotics, but I needed a break from IEMs and wanted a different sound signature (the Etys are good, but it was time to change things up).

These headphones are really good - considering they are "only" $100.  My other full-sized headphones cost a bit more than $100, and from a sound standpoint, the Grados pretty much hold their own.  They are definitely different from anything else I own - different, not inferior.  

I will say, however, that they are pretty unforgiving of bad recordings - like those that have limited dynamic range due to everything seemingly mastered at the same volume.  Ugh.  The DT-880 are notoriously unforgiving of all kinds of imperfections - clipping, lack of dynamic range, etc., and the SR-80e are just as brutal.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #418 of 538
Since I woodied my 80i's,I having been using an obscure amp called a Sense V1 mosfet amp with it. I came across it an eBay and took a gamble on it. Its bass could be considered lean but it's definitely not analytical even with a pair of Grados. Overall I think it accentuates my 80i's with bass and a tube like sound.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #419 of 538
  I'm looking to add a inline Mic to mine I mostly use them with my iPhone/iPad/Macbook Air and sometimes a portable amp... Hence the need/want for a inline Mic. Anyone have any recommendations on a mic?
Thanks

Is this what you're looking for? You'd have to mod your SR80s to be able to use this, but I don't  think there's anyway to add a mic to SR80s without modding them. 

http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/​

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #420 of 538
I am thinking i might buy a pair of these for my little brothers birthday. (So i can use them aswell) just thinking though he likes bass, but i love the looks of the grado headphone. I currently have the audio technica m50x, are the grados a completely different sound being open back and how is the bass, and also how much sound leak do they have, also can you wear them for long periods of time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back