Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Dec 6, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #466 of 538
But i must say, I am very..very!  impressed with the SR80e.   sound is WAY beyond 100 bucks!  they are surly a direct competitor to the ATH-M50 in terms of sound quality (not sound sig ofcourse).    
Having a listening session for 3 hours straight now and can't get em' off my head :)  I wish I had the RS1 right now for a direct comparison.

I am maybe wrong here.. But probably many audiophiles (head fiers in particular) are using those straight from a portable source and not reaching their full potential.  It is really recommended to use a dedicated amp.
In general it is recommended for all HP's..even very low grade earbuds will improve to some amount, but especially the grados which need a good amp to tighten the bass and smooth the highs. Also extend the frequency range to the maximum.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #467 of 538
I run my sr80 out of my note 3 with no problems. They are very easy to power due to their low impedance and high sensitivity. I can get to a very high volume without any clipping.

I have also used them with a little dot 2+ amp which made the highs mellower but with something like the E7, I don't see the point. Switching between the clip+ and ipod touch I couldn't tell any real differences either.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #468 of 538
A low impedance adn high sensitivity means that the SR80's can be driven with a portable amp without being underpowered, that's true.
But still, there is a difference between quality of amplification between certain amps , especially those inside DAPs vs dedicated external head amps.  mainly because the quality of the electronics and design.
and Grado, because of their special and extreme sound sig, can benefit (IMO) from a good amplification, the higher the better ofcourse.

But I am sure that they sound magnificent also through good portable players as well.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #469 of 538
Congrats on those SR80's....they are a great bang for the buck.....L cushions should make them sound even a tad better  
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #471 of 538
Sorry for the over enthusiasm , But after a few years of break from HI-FI I need to let it out :)
It's 5:30 AM here in israel,I decided to have a little listening session before going out to work.    The SR80's keep impressing me!.. Playing some avril lavigne (I love her sound..kill me) and the SR80's aren't dissapointing
and succesfully goes deep down to the Mega Bass tone in skater boy (starting at 0:13).. I am sure some of you already know it (It's a great way to test your hp's bass output).

The highs are smooth, mostly due to the S pads (I am sure that with the L they will be a little over piercing..but I will get some and try just to test this).   And the mids..  Oh the mids!   
when I had the RS1 I wouldn't believe that the lower grados could sound so good!  (or maybe they improved a lot in the newer 'e' models..).      I am so hooked to grado right now,even more than I was before, and I am fighting between the meterialistic approach of getting the SR325's also, just to see what I am missing (could it get better ??!).       But I am so satisfied with what I am getting right now..My brain tells me to settle down and enjoy !!   don't upgrade!!  

Please help me to save my wallet !!    

Just wanted to share with you guys  
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #472 of 538
   I am so hooked to Grado right now,even more than I was before, and I am fighting between the materialistic approach of getting the SR325's also, just to see what I am missing (could it get better ??!).       But I am so satisfied with what I am getting right now..My brain tells me to settle down and enjoy !!   don't upgrade!!  

Please help me to save my wallet !!    

Just wanted to share with you guys  
bigsmile_face.gif

Glad your enjoying the 80's, I own the 80i's, and they are indeed excellent…but unfortunately for your wallet it does get better! 
biggrin.gif
 The hell with your wallet…get the 325's! 
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps. 
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #473 of 538
  Glad your enjoying the 80's, I own the 80i's, and they are indeed excellent…but unfortunately for your wallet it does get better! 
biggrin.gif
 The hell with your wallet…get the 325's! 
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps. 
smile.gif

It is indeed inevitable, just a matter of time.    The 325's are very tempting, and I can even get them with a nice discount If I decide soon. (The main grado importer in israel is not working right now so there is a shortage in certain models, and because I originally wanted to get the 225 and they don't have it, he offered me a little discount on the 325 as a compensation).

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #474 of 538
  It is indeed inevitable, just a matter of time.    The 325's are very tempting, and I can even get them with a nice discount If I decide soon. (The main grado importer in israel is not working right now so there is a shortage in certain models, and because I originally wanted to get the 225 and they don't have it, he offered me a little discount on the 325 as a compensation).

Even better!
I would jump on it if the time is right for you. I'm assuming they are the (e) series, right?
If so, I've never heard them, but I've read nothing but great things about them so far. I own the 325is's and they are amazing HP's, but a lot of people on the Forum are really liking the 325e...but it is still a matter of preference.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #475 of 538
I am VERY impressed with my SR80e, with the TTVJ flats, just ridiculous bang for the buck.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #476 of 538
I'm sorry guys i just cant agree. Ive had sr80's for years and every once in a wile i pull them out and give them another try but i just cant like them. i just received my Fiio e10k USB DAC and thought it might help. Bass is very distant and the treble is painful. i cant make them sound good without an equalizer. I cant seem to get the headband to sit flat so it digs into my head making them very uncomfortable for long periods. They are very open and have a good sound stage but my $20 Koss ksc75 (with parts-express headband) beat them in almost every aspect. tell me what I'm doing wrong. i just don't understand how they get so many compliments. i also bought a pair of sr125's thinking they would be better and sold them a few weeks later. they sounded almost exactly the same.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #477 of 538
Could it be, that you just like warmer and punchier sound? I mean that Grados are very neutral sounding headphones: What you hear, is what it is.
Many audiophiles dont like studiomonitor either: They think that midrange is too harsh, and there is no enough power in sub-bass.
And if you like colored, pleasant, and "big" sound, thats ok. It´s just taste of matter; I like good Japanese maltblend whiskey. I have friends, who cant stand that, and enjoy singlemalt smoky Scottish one.
I just reviewed Sony MDR-7510. Not my cup of tea, but might be just right for you?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-7510-professional-studio-headphones-with-50mm-driver-unit/reviews/12254

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #478 of 538
  Could it be, that you just like warmer and punchier sound? I mean that Grados are very neutral sounding headphones: What you hear, is what it is.
Many audiophiles dont like studio monitor either: They think that midrange is too harsh, and there is no enough power in sub-bass.
And if you like colored, pleasant, and "big" sound, thats ok. It´s just taste of matter; I like good Japanese maltblend whiskey. I have friends, who cant stand that, and enjoy singlemalt smoky Scottish one.
I just reviewed Sony MDR-7510. Not my cup of tea, but might be just right for you?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-7510-professional-studio-headphones-with-50mm-driver-unit/reviews/12254

your probably right. i have other monitor headphones like my vintage AKG K240 they are considered neutral sounding and i like them? thats the thing about audio its all about personal preference. 
atsmile.gif
 gonna have to try some Japanese maltblend whiskey 
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #479 of 538
  I'm sorry guys i just cant agree. Ive had sr80's for years and every once in a wile i pull them out and give them another try but i just cant like them. i just received my Fiio e10k USB DAC and thought it might help. Bass is very distant and the treble is painful. i cant make them sound good without an equalizer. I cant seem to get the headband to sit flat so it digs into my head making them very uncomfortable for long periods. They are very open and have a good sound stage but my $20 Koss ksc75 (with parts-express headband) beat them in almost every aspect. tell me what I'm doing wrong. i just don't understand how they get so many compliments. i also bought a pair of sr125's thinking they would be better and sold them a few weeks later. they sounded almost exactly the same.

No need to apologize if your hearing something you don't like…not everybody likes the Grado sound.
I had to try the Sennheiser HD-800's twice to understand why they got such rave reviews and most everybody loves them…but I couldn't like them for my taste.
I've also been trying very popular HP's lately to hear what there all about, and what other people like about them, most I din't/don't care for compared to the Grado sound, so no big deal, just find something that suite your tastes, for you!
Too each his own! 
size]

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #480 of 538
Always loved the SR-80i. I still plug it in once in a while, the warmth just makes things so beautiful. I'm glad I have tubes though, as they do need a bit of treble rolloff. Really all Grados do, I think. But the SR80is just work well with most kinds of music. It's a fun, and somewhat relaxed presentation, like going to a concert and being just a few rows deep. There are some things you'll miss, being so close, but the experience is so enjoyable that you can't help but smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back