Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Jul 27, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #31 of 538
wow...nice find. These are my third head-fi cans behind the PX100 and HD280s. Needless to say, I was completely blown away...and still am. And almost every headphone I've purchased afterwards lacks the kick butt, grab your hair, and pull your ears fun that these have. There's plenty of detail in these headphones and the bass is slammin' but doesn't muddy the sound. Great impact, great speed, and more fun than a mosh pit. These are my office cans and I listen to these more than any other headphone I own. I don't feel bad if they get bumped or scratch because they're less expensive than many portables I own. And, they've completely helped me rediscover rock. Before these cans, I was strictly alternative and electronic, but now I'm rediscovering bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, and The Rolling Stones. I never cared much for these bands until I got my SR-80s, and now I love these bands.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #32 of 538
With no amp (the way I used them for six years) or my GoVibe, my SR80s were, really, a snore; but now, with some good amping, I'm totally blown away by them.

The day I got my Opera, I had only the SR80s at the shop. We put on a CD (laptop>Opera>SR80) that my business partners had recently released, and one of them commented that though he produced the CD, he was hearing things he never heard in the studio while editing the CD! I wasn't thinking about extending my Grado purchases upwrds until then, but now after subsequently getting my Move, which works great with them, too I guess eventually I'll have to try some better Grados. Gateway drug, indeed.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #35 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess eventually I'll have to try some better Grados.
Gateway drug, indeed.

I know the feeling -- started with SR60 and worked my way up the Grado line, until I now have the RS-1 -- but, now I find myself eye-balling the GS-1000, and wondering.... *sigh*
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #36 of 538
I like the Sr80 and thought they were an upgrade over the 60 for little money. The 225 seems to get attention for being the sweetspot in the Grado line, but the 80 is a great value as well.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #37 of 538
are the 225s worth twice as much as the SR80s honestly?

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 538
I would not say there is a gigantic difference but they do have a bit larger soundstage.I know the 125's would not be worth it but the 225's take you to the top of the heap in plastic.I got mine because I did not want something heavy on my head at work and wood is too expensive and too easy to damage. Especially at work.

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #39 of 538
thats the same reason i want to stop at the 225s and pursue something different.

yeah my grado SR80s dont need an amp like anyone says, hell, none of the grados probably need an amp at this rate.

the SR80s are even a wee bit louder at the same level than the 60s were.

these are seriously the best headphones you could get for 100 dollars. the HD555s are pretty sweet too if ur into smoother sound.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #40 of 538
I had some Grado SR80's and really regret selling them. I've seriously thought about buying another pair (can get some for 75 dollars from a local hi-fi/record store), but now am considering going straight for the 225's and calling it quits!

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #41 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrobotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had some Grado SR80's and really regret selling them. I've seriously thought about buying another pair (can get some for 75 dollars from a local hi-fi/record store), but now am considering going straight for the 225's and calling it quits!

best mindset ever.

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #42 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather go with a HD485 anytime!

killjoy

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #43 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrobotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya, the 225's are definitely better than the 80's but I don't know if I would say they are twice as better.I went back and bought myself another pair of 80's after I sold mine and they sound great.So, I will probably just keep my 80's and my 225's. They should be all I need. For now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back