Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Oct 16, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #16 of 538
I would rather go with a HD485 anytime!

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #18 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer
Congrats!

I moved on to the SR325i's now, but the SR80's will never leave me.
Anyway 100 Euros is not to much, they do 140 Euros here in The Netherlands.

I’m been keeping an eye out for some 325i’s any thoughts when comparing the sound quality?

Oct 16, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
Can someone explain to me what this "quick" sound is like. I have ms1s but not sure what everyone is talking about... them sounding quick.

For example in bass, does it has humming or boomy aftersound after hit (ala cheap subwoofers) or does it play what is in recording, nothing more? If it has, its slow. If fast, the bass sound ends when it ends. Easy to pick in very fast doublebass for example. Sloppy and slow headphones tend to sound muddy and uncontrolled.

Download this song. http://www.hateeternal.com/audio/02....ld%20Judas.mp3

Listen it with your MS1 first. Go then and buy AKG K26P headphone and listen it again with it. Ok, maybe your old headphones fit too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good example since this song has about tightest drum mayhems i have ever heard in any recording. K26P was just so good example that guitars were almost inaudible under the drum blasting!!! And midbassy sound tone only enhanced it.

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #21 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Not even the same league for metal, also very poor workmanship, I have a pair and the band is cracked only after 7 months of light use.

I don't care for metal, at all; as to build quality, I would have said the opposite

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
Good for you!

yep, I guess
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 538
Another nod towards the SR80. I love mine to death, to the point where I wish I could wear them 24/7. Coming from my Etys, everything sounds a lot more in my face and fast. Electric guitars wail on these amazingly

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 538
I got my SR-80's for $75 shipped back in the day, and they are quite an amazing value for that price. Believe it or not at $200 my HF-1's, which replaced the SR-80's, are pretty close to that value and a significant increase in quality.

Overall, Grado is my sound, can't wait to open my iGrados when I get home.

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #25 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
For example in bass, does it has humming or boomy aftersound after hit (ala cheap subwoofers) or does it play what is in recording, nothing more? If it has, its slow. If fast, the bass sound ends when it ends. Easy to pick in very fast doublebass for example. Sloppy and slow headphones tend to sound muddy and uncontrolled.

Download this song. http://www.hateeternal.com/audio/02....ld%20Judas.mp3

Listen it with your MS1 first. Go then and buy AKG K26P headphone and listen it again with it. Ok, maybe your old headphones fit too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good example since this song has about tightest drum mayhems i have ever heard in any recording. K26P was just so good example that guitars were almost inaudible under the drum blasting!!! And midbassy sound tone only enhanced it.

I will give that a try when I get home from work! My friend loves this song and has played it on his extremely expensive super nice 800 dollar speakers(which sound like ms1s with a tad bit more bass). It was really enjoyable. Anyways yeah I get home in like... 3 hours?!
frown.gif
bwaaahhh i cant wait to get home to enjoy my headphones!
eggosmile.gif
. Anyways yeah I did a comparison last night with a trance song that was high energy and the song sounded boring and dull(though the headphones i hear sound like sennheisers??? from what i am told) and the grado sound is just lovely and vibrant.

I think grado sound has grown on me.

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 538
I've had my SR80s for almost 2weeks now. they're my first set of real cans and so far i love em. its nice to have a pair of headphones that "hits" when the song is supposed to "hit". and funny how you can hear some bass notes (not to mention clarity in songs in general) never before heard with the iBuds of old.

only complaint is that i haven't had a chance to listen to them more.

Oct 23, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #27 of 538
I just ordered mine online tonight! Can't wait to join the club, these are my first Grado's. Personally I love the simple retro styling.
smily_headphones1.gif
My Sennheiser HD280s are waaaay too massive to carry outside home

Oct 23, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #28 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by mochzr
I just ordered mine online tonight! Can't wait to join the club, these are my first Grado's. Personally I love the simple retro styling.
smily_headphones1.gif
My Sennheiser HD280s are waaaay too massive to carry outside home

I think you have begun your "journey" in Grado's headphones with the best q/p purchase
wink.gif

I like their look too, but now compared to my new MS2i they looks quite "poor", but still fascinating in their retro style

bye
Andrew

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #29 of 538
It was my internet search for great headphones that led me here (Head-fi). Soon I purchased the SR-80's.

I was so impressed with them that I bought my father a pair of SR-325i's. After hearing those I kept climbing the ladder and bought myself RS-1's.

What surprises me is that I still love my SR-80's. I actually like them *better* than the RS-1's when listening unamped (iPod, computer) or on a portable op-amp setup (like a cheap Cmoy). They are airier and sound more natural, although they are less detailed and have less bass extension than the RS-1s.

I recently bought a Singlepower MPX3 SLAM (which I very highly recommend). The SR-80's still sound great, but the RS-1s take advantage of this amp and finally have the soundstage, air, and dynamics to pull well past the SR-80's. They, of course, remain more detailed and have better bass extension.

In summary the Sr-80's are amazing phones for the price and remain a favorite of mine even after listening to more expensive Grado's.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #30 of 538
i just got mine and YES there is a noticeable difference between the SR60 with bowls.

double bass sounds very articulate and proportionate in volume compared to everything else in most songs.

why has this thread died off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back