Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Aug 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #301 of 538
Thanks Joseph, i've since read an article on Innerfidelity which pretty much summed up the L type sounds the best too. Your spot on in that they currently have the S type pads (80i) so i'll see what other pads i can get my hands on and try them out.  For the moment taking a break every hour to allow the blood to recirculate is doing the trick, and now that i have a few more hours listening time under my belt i have come to the conclusion that they are keepers. I understand why people rave about these, but i dont get what people mean by "That Grado sound", they just sound honest to me, and what a bargain they were too.  I guess the JVC's are officially retired from general purpose use, the Grados can take pride and place on my cabinet door next to my Sennheisers
wink_face.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #303 of 538
I've owned a pair for over ten years, now. I absolutely love them! I bought them second hand off eBay for $50. They are still like new. They really sound better with age, in my opinion. It takes some serious burn-in time to get them to their best state. I own a pile of cans but these are always nearby. I can't imagine a better deal in the hifi world! You can spend a fortune trying to best them.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #305 of 538
Quote:
  For the moment taking a break every hour to allow the blood to recirculate is doing the trick, and now that i have a few more hours listening time under my belt i have come to the conclusion that they are keepers. 

This is just unfathomable to me...these headphones are super light with very little clamp at all. I can't understand for the life of me why your circulation would be getting cut off. I can understand that some find the pads a bit scratchy, but this is easily remedied by running them through with the laundry a time or two. But cutting off the circulation? 
confused.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #306 of 538
     I first got interested in "nice" headphones last September before a family trip to California. I ended up buying a set of SR60is, and I loved them.

Well, come Christmas, I end up getting a set of SR80is. I was ecstatic until I plugged them in. They seemed to be very harsh and they had no bass. However, I made the transition to wearing the 80is daily instead of the 60is , and, over time, the the 80is mellowed out and the bass got much better.

Sometime last winter, I punched two holes per side in the dampening foam behind the drivers. I like the extra bass that this gives, but I also feel as if they lost just a little bit of precision. Still, I think it was worth it.

Now, after almost eight full months of daily use, I think I prefer the 80is to the 60is. Be warned, though, these headphones do require a lot of time to break in. I broke mine in only with normal use, and the sound evolved over several weeks. It changed from what, at first, seemed harsh and bass-less to a far more pleasant tone, with good, punchy bass and, bright, but not harsh, highs.

Love these 'phones, and I can't wait to build an amp for them. I agree with everyone else in the thread, they're just fun.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #307 of 538
Just got a set of SR80's (non-i) off eBay the other day for under $70...damn are they good! First Grados for me and I'm already a big fan. I don't find them as uncomfortable as I had anticipated and the noise leak wasn't annoying (to me) at all.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #308 of 538
  Just got a set of SR80's (non-i) off eBay the other day for under $70...damn are they good! First Grados for me and I'm already a big fan. I don't find them as uncomfortable as I had anticipated and the noise leak wasn't annoying (to me) at all.

Congrats, and welcome aboard the Grado train :)

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #311 of 538
Just received my SR80s and when the first song hit my ears, it put a smile on my face!  I'm going to enjoy these for a while :)

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #312 of 538
Congrats.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #313 of 538
Hey thanks! My only quibble would be that the build quality could be better.  Surprisingly they sound really good right out of the box.  I'm sure things will sound even better as they burn in

3 hours later and I'm still loving them!  These are keepers for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back