Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Feb 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #271 of 538
Just got the SR80i as I wanted to get an idea of what Grados sound like. And as I've read, they are in fact "harsher" than my Sennheisers but I'm still very impressed!

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #273 of 538
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #274 of 538
Quote:
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i believe,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!

Couldn't agree more.  The SR80i are an amazing value, I love their punchy and speedy bass.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #275 of 538
Wow, another Grado thread that I missed! I'll just say that the 80s are the headphone that changed my audio life. My approach was to buy a bunch of the name brand under $100 headphones that I had read most about, and then when I found one I liked I'd move up into a higher end option from that company. Well I was absolutely blown away by the 80s. That open, airy sound and all that detail really spoke to me, and it sent me along my Grado path. Even though I've moved up to the PS500s (and loving the bejeezus out of 'em), the 80s still get regular use and will forever be part of my little collection. I had no idea I could find a pair of headphones that appealed to me this much for such little money. Grados aren't for everyone, of course, but I firmly believe that EVERYONE should try them at least once....cause if they ARE for you, you're enjoy your music like never before. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #276 of 538
What mods should I do to this 'phone?

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #277 of 538
[size=10pt]I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow. [/size]

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #278 of 538
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #279 of 538
Quote:
[size=10pt]I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow. [/size]

IMO, that's a great way to start....that way it gives you a nice taste of the Grado sound and they're good enough that you can keep them around even after you upgrade. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #280 of 538
Quote:
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\

If you ever decide to move up the Grado line, check out some of the recent posts by Obobskovich...he is a big gamer and recently discovered how well his RS-1s work with gaming because of the imaging and 3-D sound stage. That's one of the things you'll find is improved as you go up the line. For $99, though, the 80s get a whole lot right and I'm glad you're enjoying them with music :)

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #281 of 538
Quote:

IMO, that's a great way to start....that way it gives you a nice taste of the Grado sound and they're good enough that you can keep them around even after you upgrade. 

I am thinking when I upgrade I will probably dedicate these to my "house" portable rig and upgrade to something better for my main listening station. I like to read on the porch, in bed, or the easy chair and all of these places are to far from the main listening station so I use either my laptop, iphone, or ipad for this purpose. I have tried these 80's out and they seem to respond well to these 3 things. So I think when the time comes for a upgrade thats what these will be regulated to. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #282 of 538
Quote:
What mods should I do to this 'phone?

I did the full vent mod on my 80i. I removed the "loin" cloth and vented all ten holes on the driver. The button is now glued with plastic cement (like for models) which melts the plastic to form a weld. So I just put a round self adhesive felt button behind it for a little damping.

The "i" series now have the same size air chamber as the current Allessandro series.

The 80i cable has 4 conductors now, so I don't see the need for a cable replacement.

I did not do the "quarter" mod as the venting noticably stepped up the base and treble. Leaving the pads stock helped to reduce the sizzle that the venting did. SO, the venting actually takes them, to me, a little too far, and them you can reel them back to taste.

I did the same mods on a SR60i with similar results. If you have access to Metallica's "Enter Sandman" to test them after the mods are done don't turn it up too high at first......................

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #283 of 538
rmouser, did you do your mods in stages or all at once?

Just curious if just removing the "loin cloth" would any difference? I have L-Cush pads on mine and not sure I want to go venting the drivers. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #284 of 538
Yay! Im getting the SR80i's! So pumped! Is there a mod to make the cable detachable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back