Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Dec 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #256 of 538
Got my E7 and SR80i's this afternoon. My only comparison is an old set of HD 497 Senns.

Wow. Bright! Bass is kinda low, but the bass boost on the E7 helps - especially with janglier rock. I'm really liking these things.

IMHO.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #257 of 538
I was having some problems with the bass being to low for the first hour or so. Now they seem just fine to me. I may just be getting used to them, or I have experienced a small bit of burn in. Not quite sure.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #258 of 538
Man, these cans have really revealed some crap files on my computer. I turned on the Bit Rate option in the bar above my music in iTunes. I found out that a lot of them are 128 kbps. Yarg! Luckily, for the past year I have been ripping all my CDs in lossless because I now have the space on my external HD. I might have to re-rip those CDs.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #259 of 538
Could someone please provide me with measurements of the SR80s? I just ordered a pair on Ebay for $35, and am looking into ordering a hard case to store them in.

I'm stoked about these phones!

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #260 of 538

Quote:
Could someone please provide me with measurements of the SR80s? I just ordered a pair on Ebay for $35, and am looking into ordering a hard case to store them in.

I'm stoked about these phones!

IMO, measurements might be different for you if you decide to bend the headband or not. I had to bend the headband quite a bit due to a lack of comfort and the vice grip effect, but now they fit perfectly. Did you get the 80s or 80is? 

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #261 of 538
Quote:
IMO, measurements might be different for you if you decide to bend the headband or not. I had to bend the headband quite a bit due to a lack of comfort and the vice grip effect, but now they fit perfectly. Did you get the 80s or 80is?

Maybe I'll have to wait until they arrive then. I've got a lot of buffalo leather on hand, and have been considering making a replacement headband anyways. I ordered the older SR80s, and they should be coming in soon.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #262 of 538
I've had my SR80s for about a week now and have been very impressed. If I had known that phones of this quality were available so cheaply, I would have picked them up long ago.

They sound great in my budget setup: Fuze --> LOD --> PA2V2 --> SR80
The PA2V2 warms them up in a way that works really well for the music I've been listening to. A 24/96 vinyl encode of Smashing Pumpkin's Machina sounds just excellent, and all of the Radiohead that I've put through them is superb. I can see why the Pink Floyd fans are raving over the SR80s in this thread, as they seem to be a perfect fit for that kind of layered psychedelic sound.

I'm still considering making a buffalo leather headband for them, but the stock band is comfortable enough for the time being. I have a month off coming up and will see what I can knock out.

These phones certainly deserve an appreciation thread. What a bargain!

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #263 of 538

Quote:
I've had my SR80s for about a week now and have been very impressed. If I had known that phones of this quality were available so cheaply, I would have picked them up long ago.

They sound great in my budget setup: Fuze --> LOD --> PA2V2 --> SR80
The PA2V2 warms them up in a way that works really well for the music I've been listening to. A 24/96 vinyl encode of Smashing Pumpkin's Machina sounds just excellent, and all of the Radiohead that I've put through them is superb. I can see why the Pink Floyd fans are raving over the SR80s in this thread, as they seem to be a perfect fit for that kind of layered psychedelic sound.

I'm still considering making a buffalo leather headband for them, but the stock band is comfortable enough for the time being. I have a month off coming up and will see what I can knock out.

These phones certainly deserve an appreciation thread. What a bargain!

Agreed with everything just said. These are phenomenal budget cans. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #265 of 538
I havent tried my Sr-80s with anything else, but I'm quite satisfied with the udac2. Foobar volume set to 100%, main Windows(7) volume at 80% and I use the udac2 around 20-25%. When I had the main Windows volume set to 100%, I had to use the udac2 on very low volume and it had some channel imbalance issues, but thats a pretty common problem IMHO (very low volume means 10-15%). What really matters is the sound quality and as I mentioned before, its very good for the price. Feel free to ask any questions.

P.S.: I use a resampler in foobar (to 96kHz) and the output is set to 24 bit. The Windows settings for the udac2 are set to 2channel, 24bit, 96kHz.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #266 of 538
To all you SR80 owners: how much did the sound change after burn-in?
I got a pair last week and was pleasantly surprised by the sound, especially the bass presence. In my mind, Grados were bright and anemic. As it turns out, that's pretty much right after around 20 hours of use. The sound has become much more bright and thin, IMO. Also, compared to the HD25s, it seems to me that the vocals on these cans are fairly laid back.. what gives?

Also, should I dare do the quarter mod on the comfies? I'm not willing to buy another pair, as they're horribly overpriced over here, just like everything Grado.

May 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #267 of 538
I have a pair off Grado SR80 headphones  (Not the new 'i' version) I'm guessing my pair are around 5-9 years old. But they are still working very well.

All I can say these headphones are VERY musical, punchy and detailed. People say the SR80s are fun, and I agree!! Anything I play, these headphones sounds nothing but fun.

Sometimes I prefer the SR80s over the Senn HD600s. Maybe I have different moods? LOL!!

Kind Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back