Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Nov 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #316 of 538
I've ordered a pair today...going to be using a FiiO E07K from my PC , or sometimes an iPod classic with an SMSL amp...looking forward to discovering the sound; these were bought on a bit of a whim, though I have read a lot of good reviews, so not entirely without knowledge of them. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #317 of 538
  I've ordered a pair today...going to be using a FiiO E07K from my PC , or sometimes an iPod classic with an SMSL amp...looking forward to discovering the sound; these were bought on a bit of a whim, though I have read a lot of good reviews, so not entirely without knowledge of them. 

Congratulations, they are great headphones IMO. Enjoy them!

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #319 of 538
So, just got them plugged in...and yes, they are sounding pretty sweet. I'm not sure about the comfort straight away, may need to bend that headband a bit, but wow, beautiful clarity, going to like these!

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #320 of 538
Was able to score one of these from a local retailer going out of business. My first open - back headphones. It really did sound great out of the box.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #321 of 538
  So, just got them plugged in...and yes, they are sounding pretty sweet. I'm not sure about the comfort straight away, may need to bend that headband a bit, but wow, beautiful clarity, going to like these!

Nice, glad you like them so far! As far as the comfort, I sound like a broken record, but the band is a spring steel so from above the rod blocks pull the headband apart (do not bend) into a horizontal position a little at a time evenly (don't kill them). You will have to do this quite a few times because it is spring steel and it will form back to its original shape, so this must be done for some time, even in the future. All of my Grados are U shaped when the band finally stays where I want it, and the drivers rest on my ears with no clamping force at all. Also if you do not have the (L) cushions, I would highly recommend them. Enjoy, once again they are great headphones. BTW, washing the (L) cushions with mild soap and water will soften them up nicely.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #322 of 538
Thanks for that - I notice that they suggest that in a flyer in the box - incidentally, I felt like it was 1973 when i opened the box - I knew they looked retro, but the box and all, very quaint! 
A few songs in and they are great - even with the 'lower quality' files I have - I must admit to being new to all this, but loving discovering new sounds in songs and understanding a bit more about this audiophile business!
Ordered a FiiO E09 to go with my E07...do you think that'll add to the sound experience? 
Thanks for the reply. (Nice bike there too)

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #324 of 538
  Thanks for that - I notice that they suggest that in a flyer in the box - incidentally, I felt like it was 1973 when i opened the box - I knew they looked retro, but the box and all, very quaint! 
A few songs in and they are great - even with the 'lower quality' files I have - I must admit to being new to all this, but loving discovering new sounds in songs and understanding a bit more about this audiophile business!
Ordered a FiiO E09 to go with my E07...do you think that'll add to the sound experience? 
Thanks for the reply. (Nice bike there too)

Thanks for the bike compliment. If I remember correctly, the instructions tell you to bend the headband out on each side from right above the rod blocks or from the center of the headband ( I'm not sure). I prefer to pull the headband apart into a straight line and hold it like that for 10-15 seconds at a time until I have the right fit for myself, like I mentioned, so it keeps a U shape instead of each side being bent unevenly... and I've had excellent outcomes with this method shaping them into a U, rather than the headband being bent and/or disformed. I can't comment on the Fiio products at all, I've never heard them, but I believe a lot of people do speak highly of them. I use either the Little Dot1+amp, or the 
Schiit  Magni(amp)/Modi(dac) combo, (besides home equipment and a recently purchased MAD Ear+HD amp). The LD1+ can be purchased for about $130.00U.S (give or take), and the Schiit Magni/Modi combo is $99.00U.S (each). I find them both to be very good, especially for the price, plus I own 3 different Grado models and prefer different combos for the different model headphones.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #325 of 538
Thanks - I have seen/read a bit about those items you mention - I will keep my eye open for them here in the UK. 
So the next step up in terms of the Grado's - worth saving up for? (That's probably a daft question...)
Cheers!

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #326 of 538
  Thanks - I have seen/read a bit about those items you mention - I will keep my eye open for them here in the UK. 
So the next step up in terms of the Grado's - worth saving up for? (That's probably a daft question...)
Cheers!

Hard to answer that question… My first Grado I purchased and own is  the SR80i which I modified with Vibrolabs wooden cups and the (L) cushions, which I absolutely love! Then I purchased the Alessandro/Grado MS2i which was not my taste, it was a bit too laid back for me, but still an amazing headphone and would highly recommend it for someone who likes mellower less aggressive sound signature. I traded the MS2i's to a friend for the SR325is, which was more my taste, and still own them. Then I recently purchased the RS1i, along with the MAD Ear+HD amplifier, which is a highly recommended combo, but unfortunately haven't had much time at all with this combo due to having to send back the Ear+HD for some minor issues (waiting to get it back). To me all three model headphones that I own have their own unique sound signature IMO, and I probably wouldn't use the word upgrade as far as their sound quality, they all have a different quality of sound and I like them all very much. I would use the word upgrade as far as price, frequency response, cables, different materials used on each model, and of course like I stated they do all sound different to me, wider/narrower sound-stage, more/less bass, more/less forward mid-range, more/less higher frequencies, more/less smoother/natural sound, but they all to me are worth it. Out of the three models I own, the SR80i and the RS1i are much closer in sound signature than the SR325is. The best advice I can give you is to try to demo the models you are interested in, and decide for yourself which sound signature you prefer. I don't know what you paid for your SR80's, but for the price in the U.S., in my experience with them, there is no way you can go wrong with them, they are a steal!!!

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #327 of 538
Very interesting comments. I got them kind of free - in that I received a voucher for 25 years service in the health service (as a nurse), so I got these and have ordered the FiiO E09 too...What I'm liking is that they are bringing quality to everything I'm listening to, even some YouTube music. And I've played my guitar through them, and it sounds great (well, apart from my playing).
Interested in the 'modding' thing - will have a look at that...but for now they're sweeet!

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #328 of 538
Cheers!

As Joseph69 says, the 'next step' should definitely be buying some L Cush pads! They will improve clarity & soundstage, tighten the bass and generally give you the 'real' Grado sound.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #329 of 538
  Very interesting comments. I got them kind of free - in that I received a voucher for 25 years service in the health service (as a nurse), so I got these and have ordered the FiiO E09 too...What I'm liking is that they are bringing quality to everything I'm listening to, even some YouTube music. And I've played my guitar through them, and it sounds great (well, apart from my playing).
Interested in the 'modding' thing - will have a look at that...but for now they're sweeet!

Very sweet, crystal clear, great detail, front row seating and fast tight bass. And they get even better after burn-in, and I'm sure you will really love them after getting the FiiO. Enjoy!

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #330 of 538
Congrats on your SR80i purchase.

Great cans.

In my opinion, when you upgrade I would personally go to at least the 225i.

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back