Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Apr 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #181 of 538
I had the 60s and 80s at the same time and did that comparison. They were very similar. I had a difficult time finding any differences. There was slightly more (barely noticeabe) ooomph. But it was so slight, that it could have been placebo. So, to me, they sounded the same with the same pads.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #182 of 538
oh ok. wonder why they say over at the headroom site that the sr80 needs an amp not to sound murky and the sr60s are perfect for unamped use

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #183 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying bass taped bowls on the 60s sound almost the same as the 80s with no bass tape mod?

The sound difference is MINIMAL. I'll tell you the bass "oomph" you get in an RS2, is SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY more than a bass electrical taped mod on an SR80.

No doubt the RS2 is better....but IMO, not worth "the extra coin better". Would I buy them if I had the money? Sure would, almost on aesthetics alone, but, only if I had the extra cash to make such a purchase...

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #184 of 538
I enjoy my woody SR-80's very much with my 70/80's rock! Great compliment to the Denons for when you want to be on stage and rock out.

My system and the grados are pretty forgiving for poor recordings (most rock). I can now listen to Tokyo Tapes!

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #186 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying bass taped bowls on the 60s sound almost the same as the 80s with no bass tape mod?

Ditto with oicdn & BrookR1...I thought the 80s were slightly better defined & a fraction clearer, but without a blind test, placebo is always hovering about
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #187 of 538
Just listening to any kind of metal thru them w/ and w/o my amp, and they sound great for the money and get me headbangin' everytime!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #188 of 538
Well guys, my first good set of cans arrived today.
I got my SR-80s 15 minutes ago.
They are on my head, and I cannot stop tapping my feet, moving my head and just jamming out. The sound is amazing. I don't have any comfort problems yet, I actually think they are pretty comfortable.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #191 of 538
I thought the bass was not adequate for really "heavy" metal. For the basic rock-stuff is was spot on... Comfort was quite bad, actually. I ended up selling mine - for a nice profit (bought from the US, thanks weak dollar!).

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #192 of 538
Bought mine SR80 for as low as $80, it is extremely light weight, sound signature is quite impressive judging by its low price point, an excellent bargain~
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #193 of 538
Quite impressive though, I bought mine about ~145$ last month in Turkey (Europe, let's say) ..
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #194 of 538
I just bought and received a Grado SR80 headphone. It seems as though so many people have comfort issues even though the phones sound great.
I too was experiencing discomfort after having them on awhile, but have
solved that problem very easily. The headband can be bent, outward and enlarged, carefully of course, so that instead of the headphone tightly gripping your ears and hurting them, will gently cup your ears instead, completely changing the listening experience. Since they are of an open design anyway, it doesn't matter whether they are clamped to your head like a vise or gently cupping your ears. Remember to play around with the headband and adjust accordingly so that the phones "gently" cup your ears. The difference is night and day. I barely notice that I have them on. I might email Grado and suggest they include some information like this with the headphone. Hope this helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back