Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Mar 20, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #166 of 538
My first amp is arriving tomorrow, Visely HEA-1. Can't wait to hear my SR80s amped!

I've been loving the grados so much unamped, and of course they're low impedance, so I'm not exactly expecting miracles.

But the opportunity to get the Visely brand new at a fairly low price was too good to pass up.

So I've had a chance to hear my grados brand new which were fun but somewhat piercing.

Then slightly broken in, less piercing and a bit deeper on the bass, still fun and exciting.

Now really broken in, with hundreds of hours in, I find them still forward, but less aggressive. MUCH more listenable, not fatiguing at all, I can wear them for hours. Headband has just the right amount of pressure, pads much softer. Highs are tamed, lows a bit resonant, but still fairly tight. A much more "whole" sound.

Though sometimes I miss the rougher, fun sound of the new sr80s, pre burn-in. I wouldn't trade back, but sometimes I wish my cat were a kitten again.

Tomorrow with an amp. The next evolution.

Next purchase, a few months from now probably, a dac. One headphone, so many levels of enjoyment!

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #167 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The one huge complain I have is the ssssssssssssssssiblance, even at low listening levels. What do you guys say/think?

I have the SR80 for about a week now, and I noticed some sibilance as well. But they have only 15 hours on them so far and I play them unamped on a Cowon D2, so there's a lot of room for improvement in my situation.
Had the cable reterminated yesterday to about 4ft, they are perfect now if the sibilance disappears.
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #168 of 538
I love my new Grado SR80's, I've only had them for a week also(to the person above) and just love the clarity and upfrontness of these cans. I will be buying an amp in the next few weeks to really bring out the sound in these, can't wait.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #169 of 538
I've had my SR80s for a week, too.

Great cans for metal and prog in particular.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't ever remember standing up in the middle of a song to do air guitar when wearing my Sennheisers, but with the SR80s all bets are off.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add, they really add a nice immediacy to normally distant live recordings, I've found. Pink Floyd's PULSE sounds great through them, as does Nightwish's End of an Era and From Wishes to Eternity.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #170 of 538
i had my sr80s for a week already.. i can't seem to take them off my head anymore. my other phones are collecting dust now..haha. I washed the pads and they feel so much softer now so I can listen to these phones for hours.

I recently rockboxed my ipod so i could listen to some FLAC songs.. Wow what a huge difference..these headphones really bring out the sounds you would never hear from ibuds right in front of you.

Radiohead's new album rocks with the sr80.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #171 of 538
Hello,

I have very muched enjoyed my SR80 for the past couple years, however they can be quite bright at times
frown.gif
Anyone had luck toning down the treble energy with these cans? Maybe a cable mod or different pads? Hmmm...

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #173 of 538
I had one before purchase my GS 1000.
SR 80 was Great and it's for me the best Grado Value, far from the others.
It take a long time to be well Burning ( near 300 Hours), but when it is, sound is clear, detail and balanced.
Just a little lake on medium bass.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #174 of 538
Sign me up
biggrin.gif
...Just got a pair of 80s to replace my going-going-gone 60s (there is a murky kind of logic in there, honest). I adore Grado styling and sound. Simply fab...

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #175 of 538
Just wondering if the 80s are the same as the 60s if they both used bowls. I had sr80s before but never together with sr60s. My 80s came with flats stock and I felt they were tighter and brighter sounding than the sr60s which I think are darker sounding. Of course the sr60s I got came with comfies so it could have just been the pads.

hmmm anyone with both the 80s and 60s able to comment???

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #176 of 538
how are them compared to the MS-1?
rock purposes, used with pc, ob sound card and no amp.

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #178 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering if the 80s are the same as the 60s if they both used bowls. I had sr80s before but never together with sr60s. My 80s came with flats stock and I felt they were tighter and brighter sounding than the sr60s which I think are darker sounding. Of course the sr60s I got came with comfies so it could have just been the pads.

hmmm anyone with both the 80s and 60s able to comment???

I had bowls on my 60s (+ the bass tape mod) and there wasn't too much difference w/ my bowled 80s as I recall....I still have the 60s for a few days, so I must make some time to do a side by side....

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #179 of 538
Sign me in as well... just got my SR-80s last week and they are just swweeeettt!
smily_headphones1.gif

They have good bass but the separation of the instruments and the highs are really the highlight. I am a basshead, but I don't mind the Highs at all.

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #180 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had bowls on my 60s (+ the bass tape mod) and there wasn't too much difference w/ my bowled 80s as I recall....I still have the 60s for a few days, so I must make some time to do a side by side....

Are you saying bass taped bowls on the 60s sound almost the same as the 80s with no bass tape mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back