Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Dec 5, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #211 of 538
a used pair of SR80 were my first pair of Grados when i started off on head-fi five years ago. at that time i had no idea what Grado or Sennheiser were but i was immediately hooked by it. shortly after that i purchased a pair of SR225, which were even better but unfortunately got me even more hooked on this long path to head-fi nirvana. my SR80 is now doing duty as my work cans.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #212 of 538
Hey head-fiers!

Well i am pretty new to this forums (even if I had read them quite a lot)

I am gonna be a new proud Sr80 user. I went to an excellent Hi-Fi shop where they had the full line of Grado headphones (from sr60 till gs1000). I tried sr60, sr80, sr125, & rs2, the other ones weren't there to be tested, and didn't ask for them. (Even if I could have, but wasn't gonna spend the money on them
biggrin.gif
)

The first ones i tried were the sr60. I own Shure se-210 but no full size headphones. The sr60 just blew me away. After some songs played with my D2 (FLAC, + BBE sound + flat EQ) i went for the Sr80. For that price and the Bowl pads, they amazed me even more. Clearer bass, good channel separation (The bass didn't overcome mids and highs) The headphones had been playing all night long (as the owner of the shop told me), and they had already burned in (don't know how to apply that verb ^^)

The sr125 weren't so good to my ears. (Too much color to my liking) At least not the relation between SQ/Price. And i finally tried the Rs2. Now those weren't good for my wallet
biggrin.gif
(You might differ with the adjectives I used to describe SQ, but I don't know all of them, so i just say it how I feel them to be. I am also tired, so the words won't come to my mind)

All in all, taking in account SQ(better than the sr60, at least noticeable) , comfort (I have very sensitive ears and the bowl pads are very comfortable) and price, these are my first and only choice for my new full size headphones.
I definitely like the grado sound. Right now I want them so bad, can't take that amazing sound out of my head, and my se-210 get close, but not as close as I would like them to be.

Already looking at some interesting mods. And getting Fiio E5 pretty soon. If someone has that combination does it improve the SQ?

Cheers
Bullseye

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #213 of 538
I love my SR80s. They've served me well for years and even if I acquire something a little higher end I'm sure they'll continue to serve me well for years to come. Even though my musical preference is almost 100% classical, by the way, I really enjoy the very "present" Grado sound; it lets me hear the music almost the way I do when I'm actually playing in an orchestra. No doubt that's an acquired taste, but for a serious amateur musician like me it's a lot of fun.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #214 of 538
I have seen some woodied grado sr80. Does the SQ really change to good? Is it definitely better to put some wood to your sr80s instead of wasting much more money in one of the rs2/rs1 headphones? (saving money and relation between Sq/price)

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #216 of 538
I have had my SR80s for about a week and a half and am completely and forever hooked on the Grado Sound. I have the Headroom micro amp and dac with the HD650s and was pleased, but after listening to the Grados, the Sennheiser veil becomes vary apparent and frankly, boring. Yes I know they "sound better", are more faithful the the recording than the lower-end SR80s, but the SR80s are just so much fun. These phones suck me into the music in a way the HD650s never could match, not to mention the comfort. I put these phones on my head and routinely almost knock them off because I forget they are there. I am currently saving up for the RS1 or the GS-1000 and then the Ray Samuels Audio Raptor. My ears drool in anticipation.
Grado and Headroom customer for life
Kevin

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #218 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id say it isnt really wasting money but putting it to good use lol, btw do you have any links of the woodies? cuz i wanna try that myself once i get my sr80s

Home

Well didn't expect myself saying this but the battle is between sr225 (as investing money) or getting the sr80 i already like so much.

Will test them again soon and will decide

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #219 of 538
Bought a pair a few months ago for my portable rig. You get a few looks but i haven't looked back on my purchase. Sometimes I even have to grab them over my DT990's at home with certain songs that just love that Grado sound.

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #220 of 538
i recently recabled my SR80 with canare cable. then used blue tak or in this case yellow on the back of the driver, stuffed the chamber with foam, removed the buttons and added a leather headband.

dsc0132wi2.jpg

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #221 of 538
Greetings Fureshi,

Your SR80's look very nice! Did you notice any sound improvement? Which Canare cable did you use? What method did you use to open the SR80's driver casing? Was it difficult? I hear they are super glued together now. I tried to open mine and they are very tight and I fear to open in destroying the case.

Any suggestions?

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #222 of 538
i found my glue between the transducer edge part of the housing and the cup, not between the two halves like on the cylinder wall where ive read on the headwize forum, i used Lego to wedge the 2 pieces apart, it only worked cuz my glue was slightly uneven

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #223 of 538
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stuffed the chamber with foam

Why did you do that, and more importantly, what effect did it have on the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back