Grado SR60i or Sennheiser HD448
Mar 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bogdanius

New Head-Fier
Yes I've googled, I looked at the reviews for both models, even found similar topics on head-fi but none of them answer mine question fully. So to start my priority order is
1. sound quality
2. comfort
3. stability
4. if I'm able to wear them at public (not talking about sound isolation. I've got enough stares at me with mine MX471 at full sound, so I got used to that. I'm talking about if they don't look like I bent dumb-bell and put it on my head)
From what I've heard (in short) sen 448 lacks in bass but I'm not all that in r'n'b hip-hop music, so all that I need is to bass sound very clear. everywhere I read about them I've heard good feedback about sound quality of both models.
Unfortunately I can't find a place where I could try them out so my only hope is your adivce.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 16
Hmm, if you plan using your headphones in public places then I suggest going with the HD448(plus they look quite nice too).

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 16
Not trying to be attention whore or anything, but just it'd be nice if I hear more opinions :3
so in the end of the day HD448 are best I can get around 100-150 if I need all purpose use (listening at home, on the street,plane,etc.), with more than decent sound at that price range, and not very powerful bass (meh don't like bass)?
p.s. I consider head-room to be very credible site and if they ranked hd448 that high..well..I think I could trust them
p.p.s I really like that retro style of sr60i but considering they lack of sound isolation, it'd be hard to use them..plus my roommate probably won't be very happy if I wake him up in the middle of the night with some heavy rock :|

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 16
I own the SR60i's, and can suggest that they would not work well at all on a plane, or in other public places.  They leak sound out of them, and they allow plenty of sound in through them.  I would be looking for some closed phones for what you describe.  I had Beyer DT770's, but found the soundstage too confined and the mids recessed, in spite of some wicked bass, great isolation, and limited sound leakage.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 16
I wouldn't dare to wear Grado's in public. I see quite a lot of sennheiser 4 series headphones. I haven't listened to them, but I guess they have far less soundquality than SR60's. Why don't you use in ear phones like brainwavz?

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
p.p.s I really like that retro style of sr60i but considering they lack of sound isolation, it'd be hard to use them..plus my roommate probably won't be very happy if I wake him up in the middle of the night with some heavy rock :|

If isolation is important for you, go with the Sennhs. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 16
^ Dunno I just don't like in-ear, it feels very funny when something is so deep into ear..feels funny
I do realise that sen 4 will sound maybe worse (I dunno, I'm greenhorn audiophile) than sr60/sr80 or probably even than sen 5 but man I do need it..I guess I'll look into some nice big open headphones when I graduate and settle in..
and yeah all retail stores in my country are limited to well labels like senn,grado,well some may provide audio-technica (I don't mention sony,phillips etc. because they're aviavable anywhere) so even if I wanted to brainwavz or ultimate ear I'd be damned to find one.
well it's not a forum (probably) to discuss in-ear vs on-ear but after your suggestion I guess it's between
hd448 or etymotic mc5
I guess I'd go more with 448 because well of head-room review, and the fact that my ears don't get that tired with them like with earphones or in-ear (probably personal thing)

Quote:
If isolation is important for you, go with the Sennhs. 

ty you kind sir. here some good thoughts towards you :D

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 16

What makes you think that???
eek.gif

HD 448 are fantastic for their price.
Quote:
I wouldn't dare to wear Grado's in public. I see quite a lot of sennheiser 4 series headphones. I haven't listened to them, but I guess they have far less soundquality than SR60's. Why don't you use in ear phones like brainwavz?

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 16
maybe he meant that open type are tend to be better than closed one :p
but anyway if I'd to pick open type earphones that are easy on budget I'd pick sr60i/sr80i over anything senn can provide in their 5xx series

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
but anyway if I'd to pick open type earphones that are easy on budget I'd pick sr60i/sr80i over anything senn can provide in their 5xx series

If you like rock music, they're great. 
But remember = No isolation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back