Grado SR225 Thread
May 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #406 of 831
just got a magni , couldn't swing the A2 , I tell ya, that little guy doesn't sound little, great bass, and detail

May 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #408 of 831
Quote:
I can't wait for my Grado SR225i, but i worry for my sound card, integrated sound card... Guys what you think about Asus Xonar Essence STX for Grado SR225i ? Great ? 

Yup...I am using that souncard with my RS1i and they are a beautiful match.

I listen to my cans everyday using that soundcard and they sound fantastic.

May 23, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #409 of 831
I am disapointed compared to my old Sennheiser HD 515 with integrated sound card, SR225i compared to Sennheiser HD 515 like a closed cans sound compresed ;S. How cans changes to move from new cans with integrated sound  to Xonar Essence ST+ Burn-in?

May 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #410 of 831
just gotten a 225....love the way it plays oldies, off my darkvoice336se, beautiful.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #411 of 831
Hi, I've just got a used pair of Grado SR225i , is it normal that if I listen  to some music with very low freq that the heaphone sound like crap but if I listen to classic music they are wonderful

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #413 of 831
Hi, I've just got a used pair of Grado SR225i , is it normal that if I listen  to some music with very low freq that the heaphone sound like crap but if I listen to classic music they are wonderful

it's normal, if you use it straightly from your DAP

just buy a headamp like fiie e17 or some with good p/p, it will improve your experience with low volume listening. I usually use 20 to 30% volume on my sr225i too

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #414 of 831
Quote:
My first thought is no. Tell us about your source hardware and material.

Quote:
it's normal, if you use it straightly from your DAP

just buy a headamp like fiie e17 or some with good p/p, it will improve your experience with low volume listening. I usually use 20 to 30% volume on my sr225i too

Ok, My source is a Galaxy S4 connected to a Harman Kardon PM655Vxi on the headphone jack. I also find that listening to FLAC music the sound is wonderfull but that with some crappy mp3 that other headphone take ok , the sr225 is more picky and play them well. I've just listen few minutes ago to some Chopin classic and Eric Clapton Layla unplugged and that sound so good.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #415 of 831
But since I've got the SR225 only 2 days ago, I think I still have to get use to that sound signature.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #417 of 831
After a 3 day hiatus ( I was waiting on my new headphone amp ) I am gladly listening to my grado sr225i again and grinning like an idjut :)

I listened to the sr225i at my local grado dealer on a Saturday and went back and bought them that Sunday :)

The first time I listened to the tool song with rain in it (track 4 ), I actually paused the song to see if it was raining outside, the weather guessers said we might have rain that night, it was not raining outside :) I smiled and laughed

Pixelphotopro, I can tell a big difference when listening to good quality music ( CDs ) compared to most of the music on my iPod that is low bit rate, I mostly listen to my grados with a cd player hooked via analog RCA outputs to my headphone amp :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #418 of 831
There is nothing wrong with the bass on the 225i. If it is sounding bad either the phones need more burn in or more likely you have a source or amp problem. Mine sound a bit tubby out of the headphone jack on my Onkyo amplifier but they sound perfect from my Little Dot tube amp.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #419 of 831

Ok, My source is a Galaxy S4 connected to a Harman Kardon PM655Vxi on the headphone jack. I also find that listening to FLAC music the sound is wonderfull but that with some crappy mp3 that other headphone take ok , the sr225 is more picky and play them well. I've just listen few minutes ago to some Chopin classic and Eric Clapton Layla unplugged and that sound so good.

as I know, there are some desktop amps or sources that are not good for grado, for example Fiio E9. The reason is their impedances are not suit or match. The sound is muddy if I use the can with my laptop or Blackberry but through my Fiio E17, they sound wonderful even in low volume :).

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #420 of 831
Quote:

I listen to some classical and jazz. They are often a go to can for guitar oriented rock, blues, metal, acoustic but sound pretty good with a variety of material. I think non orchestral jazz and small ensemble classical works well in instrumental genres....BTBH, they don't have the largest soundstage in the world for big symphonic stuff.

To be honest, I'm an aging metal/punk/rock guy and that's mostly what I throw at them. When I listen to classical I tend to prefer my speakers. But, they can handle my dead, white, baroque guys as well. Oh yeah, I think they also sound good with minimalistic ambient, electronic, new age, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back