Grado SR225 Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #421 of 831
I have Grado sr225i and Xonar Essence STX i not like enough this combo. If i buy one of Little Dot tube amp it will changes drastically ? i dont like treble ššššš... I want bigger sound, sound little bit tiny for me, not volume. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #422 of 831
My experience with Grados started some 10+ years ago with the SR225.  I had only used speakers before this time--specifically Energy 22's with an NAD2200 power amplifier, NAD pre-amp (can't remember which model) and a higher end Rotel CD player.  But, my wife doesn't really appreciate a lot of the music I listen to, and so I decided to get a "decent" pair of headphones for occasional use.  I researched online and found a sub-$50 pair of cans that were supposedly good for the money.  I can't remember which ones they were.  Anyway, I went to a local stereo store here which had them in stock, but instead of only listening to them and other similarly priced models, I decided to listen to more expensive sets.  What could be the harm? I asked.  After all, if these bargain cans were as good as claimed, then the law of diminishing returns would kick in and I would safely listen to the more expensive headphones and say "yeah, definitely, not worth four times the money!".

Sadly (well, only for my wallet) I listened to the Grado SR225's and an equivalently priced Sennheiser model.  HD-something-or-other.  I was blown away!  The sound was SO much better.  And I knew that after hearing the Grado's I couldn't settle for the $50 headphones.  I ended up getting a discount on the 225's since they were the store demo model.  Think I paid $170.  And, well, I've just loved them ever since!  They DO "color" the sound somewhat, of course, but they are MUSICAL and enjoyable and wonderful.  They were good out of my preamp headphone out jack, but they REALLY showed their stuff when I got an Apogee Duet (FW version).  I just fell in love with them all over again after I got my Duet.

I recently discovered that they have "Grattle" and will be sending them back for disassembly / cleaning.  And I've replaced the bowls once.  But other than that, I really couldn't be happier with them.  OK.  Well, they do get a little uncomfortable after 2 or 3 hours of listening, but not so much that I've ever wanted to do any of the mods to them to make them more comfortable.

The grattle really showed itself in force after my recent acquisition of a Korg Triton Extreme keyboard.  Certain notes would REALLY set them to buzzing!  I was initially worried it was in the amp circuit, but switching to my PX100's showed that it was in the Grado's.  I figured that I would need a set of closed "monitor" headphones anyway, and on the strength of all the great reviews of the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and of HeadRoom's top 10 recommendation of them, I ordered the M50's.  Well, I can say that the M50's REALLY made me appreciate my Grado's!

I have no idea why there are so many 5 star reviews of the M50's, but they are NOT my idea of a neutral / linear / flat sounding can!  The bass is clearly too prominent.  I agree that the very low bass is excellent--I had fun with the organ sounds from the Korg, pushed down to low A--but either the mid(ish) bass is prominent, or the mid-range is recessed, because they sound boom-y to me, with an exaggerated bass.  I shudder to think what the Beats headphones sound like!  I kept thinking that if I burned them in and spent enough time acclimating to them, that I'd be happy with them.  Nope.  It's not me.  And it's not just that I'm used to the Grado's.  Playing scales on the Korg, I can definitely tell that the M50's are not even and flat.  About a half to a third octave worth of bass notes are boomy, accentuated, and muddy.  And, for what it's worth, I am a trained piano technician (although that's not what I do for a living any longer) so I have spent a LOT of time voicing pianos and adjusting actions, carefully aiming for as even a sound for the same key dynamics as possible.  I have a (relatively) trained ear.  This doesn't make my opinion, in general, any better than any one elses, of course!  But, it does, I think, come into play in the case of evaluating the evenness of response from a keyboard.  And it is my considered opinion that the M50's are not neutral.

I expected the closed cans to have less of a soundstage or space or "air" (whatever the correct term is)--and I was OK with that--but I also required them to be linear and even--that's the whole point of monitors--and to my ears, these are NOT.  Perhaps my ears are at fault, but I doubt it.  I would have gotten a lot of complaints in my work as a piano tuner if that were the case.

Anyway, long story short, I LOVE MY GRADO'S!  (And I'll be sending back my M50's for some Sony MDR7506's).

And as a post script, I have to wonder why there are so many critical and negative posts to this thread?  Isn't the concept of an appreciation thread to post your APPRECIATION of the model in question?  But, whatever, it's all good.  :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #423 of 831
Just got my first pair of 225i's and I think I've found my Grado Sweetspot. I had the MS1s which were solid but nothing to write home about, then I auditioned the MS2s which were a little to aggressive for me (and I assumed the 325s would be similar) so now I've gone to the 225 and I think this is it. 

Next step is to consider modding. I could handle a little more bass and soundstage. Any suggestions besides taping the bowl pads? 

Has anyone tried these with the G cushes? I was amazed at what they did to the MS1s with spacers - thought maybe similar luck could had with the 225s...

EDIT: The G cushes were aight. They do add some space but at the loss of some detail.

I'm currently enjoying the bumblebees...

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #424 of 831
Forgive the multiple posts, but ain't nobody on this thread!

Has anyone experienced an improvement in SQ after recabling? I just picked up a soldering iron so today is the day. I'm curious if the improvement is purely functional (since the stock cable is so big) or if there is actually a sonic improvement.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #425 of 831
Quote:
Just got my first pair of 225i's and I think I've found my Grado Sweetspot. I had the MS1s which were solid but nothing to write home about, then I auditioned the MS2s which were a little to aggressive for me (and I assumed the 325s would be similar) so now I've gone to the 225 and I think this is it. 

Next step is to consider modding. I could handle a little more bass and soundstage. Any suggestions besides taping the bowl pads? 

Has anyone tried these with the G cushes? I was amazed at what they did to the MS1s with spacers - thought maybe similar luck could had with the 225s...

EDIT: The G cushes were aight. They do add some space but at the loss of some detail.

I'm currently enjoying the bumblebees...

i tried the g-cushes with the 225, i didn't like it
and i found the ms2 to be softer than the 225, or not as foward, i didn't think the 225 to be agressive , just the ms2 more balaced maybe, or "civilized"
funny how folks hear differently, how'd the soldering go ??

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #426 of 831
Quote:
i tried the g-cushes with the 225, i didn't like it
and i found the ms2 to be softer than the 225, or not as foward, i didn't think the 225 to be agressive , just the ms2 more balaced maybe, or "civilized"
funny how folks hear differently, how'd the soldering go ??

Yeah I'd agree with you on that point. 

Still in the process. I'm trying to do the DIY cable AND educate myself on basic audio signal principles at the same time. With mixed results :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #428 of 831

My first DIY job on my 225i. Star quad canare cable in nylon jacket to 1/8" termination + a decent button removal if I do say so myself!

looks like it worked out ok !

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #430 of 831
  Is the button removal just for cosmetic purposes or is it supposed to improve the sound?

For those of us who are rational thinkers: Mostly cosmetic. I haven't noticed a real sound difference although I suppose the argument could be made that there is one less thing to restrict soundwave travel...

For those of us who need something to hype: OMGTHESOUNDSTAGEJUSTTRIPLEDINSIZE,THEBASSISDEEPER,ANDITSMAKINGMYHAIRGROWBACK!

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #431 of 831
I was able to find a used set of SR225s today for 85 bucks!  Let me just say, this is the best purchase I have made in my entire life (so far at least 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ).  Unfortunately, they came with some pretty crappy old flat pads, so I am now in the market for a set of the L-Cush pads they ship with.  Even with some old pads I had on hand, these are amazing.  I am looking forward to listening through my entire music collection again with these!

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #432 of 831
  I was able to find a used set of SR225s today for 85 bucks!  Let me just say, this is the best purchase I have made in my entire life (so far at least 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ).  Unfortunately, they came with some pretty crappy old flat pads, so I am now in the market for a set of the L-Cush pads they ship with.  Even with some old pads I had on hand, these are amazing.  I am looking forward to listening through my entire music collection again with these!

Congrats.....enjoy.

If I ever come across a deal like that, I will snag them in a heartbeat.

If you listen to rock and love guitar....you are in for a real treat.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #433 of 831
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, heckuva deal!

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #434 of 831
I have Grado sr225i(~200h burn in) and Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and i never fall to eargasm whan i listen my favorite rock music. What i should do, look for new headphones ? Earpads, Opamps, new amp give significiant improvement at sound quality, signature ? Mostly i don't like these headphones on high volume. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #435 of 831
  I have Grado sr225i(~200h burn in) and Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and i never fall to eargasm whan i listen my favorite rock music. What i should do, look for new headphones ? Earpads, Opamps, new amp give significiant improvement at sound quality, signature ? Mostly i don't like these headphones on high volume.

Yeah. IME, the 225i's that I have excel at low volume.  Too loud, and things fall apart and get shriek.  But, that's why I love my 225i's, but they certainly won't appeal to everyone.  I also did the tape mod, which seems to tone things down a bit.

also, I'm not opposed to a little EQ in my system.  I'd rather move a virtual slider than spend a few hundred on new cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back