Grado SR225 Thread
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #436 of 831
I used to dive my SR225i with my Harmon Kardon PM655 Vxi headphone jack and it was ok but yesterday a friend gave me a Marantz 2220B receiver and wow my SR225i sound so good, a huge difference especially with female voices.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #438 of 831
It's fun to experiment with different power source, now I can't wait to receive my FIIO E07K for the portable use, the fun continue and pocket get less and less money 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #439 of 831
I did received my FIIO E07K and I'm really surprised of the sound quality for an Amp/Dac under $100.00 . I did plug it with otg cable on my Galaxy S3 and bingo it worked.

EDITED: It did work but I'm not impress of the difference of using the FIIO DAC instead of the Galaxy S3 internal DAC, not much difference in sound quality.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #440 of 831
Just picked up a set of 225i's and loving them.  Previous i had 80i's which i never really got on with, and MS1's which i absolutely adore.  Vs the MS1's i find the 225i is a little lighter in the low end, but much more detailed overall.  A worthy upgrade
L3000.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #441 of 831
Just picked up a set of 225i's and loving them.  Previous i had 80i's which i never really got on with, and MS1's which i absolutely adore.  Vs the MS1's i find the 225i is a little lighter in the low end, but much more detailed overall.  A worthy upgrade:L3000:

I've been comparing my 225i with my MS1i all week, and I have pretty much the opposite finding! 225i seem darker, bassier & a bit 'thicker' sounding, whereas the MS1i are lighter, & airier. The differences I hear are pretty minimal really though, & detail seems even to my ears.

I am definitely starting to prefer the 225i, but the Alessandros are amazing for the money ...

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #442 of 831
I've been comparing my 225i with my MS1i all week, and I have pretty much the opposite finding! 225i seem darker, bassier & a bit 'thicker' sounding, whereas the MS1i are lighter, & airier. The differences I hear are pretty minimal really though, & detail seems even to my ears.

I am definitely starting to prefer the 225i, but the Alessandros are amazing for the money ...

Hmm.  What pads are you using on the MS1s?    I should have mentioned i have the L pads on mine.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #443 of 831
  Hmm.  What pads are you using on the MS1s?    I should have mentioned i have the L pads on mine.

Sorry, I should have said - I'm using L cush (bowl) pads on both too. Apologies if that post came across as arsey - I wasn't trying to contradict you, I was just surprised you found the MS1i as having more bass.

To be honest, i find the differences pretty subtle and hard to spot with a lot of music. i suspect my ears aren't what they used to be
wink.gif

I'm definitely starting to prefer the SR225i, as I think it's tonally ever so slightly more natural, but the MS1i with L cushions is still an amazing set of cans.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #444 of 831
i had the ms1 and 225 at the same time, and both l-cushed, i found the ms1 to be slightly bassier, as compared to the 225
i used the tape mod on the 225, whereas the tape on the ms1 was just too much
i think the ms1 is a tremendous value for $100, one day i preferred it, the next the 225, ultimately the 225 i did find better
due to its better detail

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #445 of 831

Sorry, I should have said - I'm using L cush (bowl) pads on both too. Apologies if that post came across as arsey - I wasn't trying to contradict you, I was just surprised you found the MS1i as having more bass.

To be honest, i find the differences pretty subtle and hard to spot with a lot of music. i suspect my ears aren't what they used to be
wink.gif

I'm definitely starting to prefer the SR225i, as I think it's tonally ever so slightly more natural, but the MS1i with L cushions is still an amazing set of cans.

No not at all, i was just surprised that our opinions were polar opposites.  Having spent ~6 hours last night listening to the 225's i can say without a doubt they are the superior cans.  They may not hit as hard as the MS1's (to me) but the detail is far superior, and they are my new favorite Grados.  Are they worth over twice the price of the MS1's, nope, but they are worth the money if that makes sense.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #446 of 831
My son has the SR60, I have been thinking about getting him an upgrade for Christmas.

Debating between the 225i & the 325i

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #447 of 831
My son has the SR60, I have been thinking about getting him an upgrade for Christmas.

If he likes the aggressiveness of the 60, the 325 takes it to another level. If he'd prefer a more even signature, can't go wrong with the 225.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #448 of 831
I actually found an old review of the 225 vs the 225i and the reviewer said that most of the difference is that the i has more bass extension and detail with just a bit more detail in the mids and treble. He said the main thing was the bass, the mids and treble were real real close. Is that pretty much what you have heard, those who have had both? Just wondering if it would be worth it to jump up to the i version as I have the non-i right now.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #449 of 831

Having owned both, I'd say that most significant difference between them is the build, rather than the sound (aside from price, of course!).

I did hear differences in the sound, in line with what most people report (ie 225i = darker, more laid back, 325i = more aggressive, shriller highs), but they're pretty slight and I doubt most people would notice if they're just listening to music and not obsessively comparing the headphones
wink.gif

What pads does your son use with the SR60? If he uses the stock S Cushion (comfies) I'd say he'd be pleased with the upgrade to the 225i, as the just having different pads will bring a significant sound improvement.

If he already uses the L Cushion (bowls) then I'd say go for the 325i. The difference in sound quality wont be enormous, but the metal cups & leather headband will make them seem like a real step up.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #450 of 831
  Having owned both, I'd say that most significant difference between them is the build, rather than the sound (aside from price, of course!).

I did hear differences in the sound, in line with what most people report (ie 225i = darker, more laid back, 325i = more aggressive, shriller highs), but they're pretty slight and I doubt most people would notice if they're just listening to music and not obsessively comparing the headphones
wink.gif

What pads does your son use with the SR60? If he uses the stock S Cushion (comfies) I'd say he'd be pleased with the upgrade to the 225i, as the just having different pads will bring a significant sound improvement.

If he already uses the L Cushion (bowls) then I'd say go for the 325i. The difference in sound quality wont be enormous, but the metal cups & leather headband will make them seem like a real step up.

He uses the stock comfies on his SR60.

I have owned the 325i  before, so I know how nice it is.

If I get him the 225 I he also gets a soundcard....if I get him the 325i, he just gets the cans, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back