Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 14, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #571 of 2,110

Yeah, the MAD Ear+HD smokes the RA-1 (a $40 CMOY in a fancy case).
smile.gif

I have been saving my cash to grab the PS500 as I thought it would be the best compliment from the Grado line to my RS1i.

The other thought that has been going thru my head is to grab the MAD Ear+HD and just call it my end all.

It is pretty tuff to find the amp used, however.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #572 of 2,110

Yeah, the MAD Ear+HD smokes the RA-1 (a $40 CMOY in a fancy case). 
smile.gif

I've heard the RS1i paired with many amps, to name a few:  the Bryston combo, Sugden HA4, V200&V800 combo, RSA Raptor, Burson HA160 and Woo WA7. I'm not denying the fact that RA1 are bettered by these amps in terms of detail, sound stage, whatever frequency, etc. But the RA1 and RS1i is by far the most enjoyable Grado combination I've ever encountered, even surpass the mighty PS1000 & Sugden pairing. (Although I've never tried the MAD amp)

I know you've been around here much longer than I do and you are more experienced, you've done many informative reviews so I will say the following with respect.
wink.gif

I believe the notion that better sound quality doesn't equals to more pleasure listening experience. To be honest, I love Grado and own/owned 8 Grados, but I never really enjoyed RS1i until I hear the 'RR' pairing. The other pairings were either too warm or too bright. True, the RA1 is no more than a CMOY plus a wooden case, but it sound very nice when paired with the RS1i. I reckon this is a very sophisticated and well-thought combination and THAT"S WHAT GRADO HEADPHONES SUPPOSED TO SOUND. 

I admit, many amps WILL smokes the RA1 in terms of sound quality and blah blah blah.., but I doubt they can really match the enjoyable listening experience which the 'R&R' provides. To find the sound we like is the ultimate goal of this headphones hobby, and that's what all head-fiers are looking for.

As I stated before, "The amp was constantly bashed by peoples in this forum due to the cheap looking internal, I even believed these nonsense until I actually heard the combo"(don't take it personal), I do feel that the RA1 was underestimated in this forum and deserves more attention and appriciation. And I do hope people who love Grado really take a listen to the combo, which I reckon, the EPIC sound from GRADO.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #573 of 2,110
Actually, I believe the CMOY amps are of the same design as the Grado RA1.  You can spend $350 or so on the Grado amp and get the nice mahogany case, or spend $59 on the CMOY amp and get a nice Altoids tin for the case.  The RA1 also comes in two flavors - one is battery powered, and the other is A/C powered.

Link to the comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/91223/is-the-grado-ra-1-a-cmoy

Or you can spend $30 and build it yourself! Some assembly required... (And fab too)

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #574 of 2,110
Or you can spend $30 and build it yourself! Some assembly required... (And fab too)

Correct.  Plus, you have the option to swap op-amps for additional sound tweaking.  After some additional reading, I've learned that just because it's a CMOY doesn't always mean that the amp is the RA-1.  However, you can get the same Op-Amp as the RA-1 and then get much closer to what the Grado RA-1 signature would be like.  Or, you could customize it even more with a big block of mahogany and then have an amp that can look like the RA-1.  In my travels, I've seen a lot of neat, unique ideas for housing the CMOY components - people are quite creative.

As a preference, I'm not a fan of the bass boost switches.  I'd rather just leave it out and go ahead with the power adapter as opposed to batteries.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #575 of 2,110

I have been saving my cash to grab the PS500 as I thought it would be the best compliment from the Grado line to my RS1i.

The other thought that has been going thru my head is to grab the MAD Ear+HD and just call it my end all.

It is pretty tuff to find the amp used, however.

Personally, I'd go for the MAD EAR+HD with the RS1i. A very magical combo and still likely the best sound I've heard from a current production Grado headphone.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #576 of 2,110

I built one using one of the ebay kits i picked up for £6.  Granted the components that come with it are crappy but the PCB is nice quality. Just bin the parts supplied and fit half decent ones, will cost less than £30 all in.  I really like the sound of it, flaws and all...

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #577 of 2,110

Personally, I'd go for the MAD EAR+HD with the RS1i. A very magical combo and still likely the best sound I've heard from a current production Grado headphone.

Does the MAD EAR+HD ever show up here at the buy/sell/trade forums

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #578 of 2,110

ive seen a few, there was one for sale a few weeks ago as well.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #579 of 2,110

ive seen a few, there was one for sale a few weeks ago as well.

A few times...seems most owners want to hold onto theirs. I kept mine for about 2 years and only sold it when I sold my RS1i headphones.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #580 of 2,110

One of my biggest regrets was selling my Mapletree Line 2A-SE preamp a few years back. I know it went to a good home and that person is still loving it to this day, but like MH said, most people come to realize what a great choice they made and you'll prob see fewer of Dr. P's items than other gear. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #581 of 2,110
I would really love to get my hands on a 2nd hand one.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #582 of 2,110
  I would really love to get my hands on a 2nd hand one.

i'm hunting a used rs1 , just deciding how bad(as in $$$) i want one ! lol

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #583 of 2,110
  i'm hunting a used rs1 , just deciding how bad(as in $$$) i want one ! lol

You should be able to find a used RS1 or RS1i for about $475-$500 or just a tad over $500.

I paid $485 shipped for mine and they were in very nice shape.

Don't over pay on the first thing you see and I am sure you will eventually find a good deal.

Seeing how I already know you like the Grado sound signature, I am thinking you will like them very much.

I owned the 325i before I got the RS1i....I kept both for about 5 or 6 weeks, trying to decide if the extra cash for the RS1 was actually worth it.

I loved the 325i.....loved the aggressiveness of it a lot.

After listening to both for quite some time, I finally sold the 325i and have never looked back.....The RS1i are great cans.

How are you liking the PS500?

I am debating on getting a pair of those or saving a tad bit more and going for a Mapletree  MAD EAR + HD

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #584 of 2,110

You should be able to find a used RS1 or RS1i for about $475-$500 or just a tad over $500.

Don't over pay on the first thing you see and I am sure you will eventually find a good deal.

Seeing how I already know you like the Grado sound signature, I am thinking you will like them very much.

I owned the 325i before I got the RS1i....I kept both for about 5 or 6 weeks, trying to decide if the extra cash for the RS1 was actually worth it.

After listening to both for quite some time, I finally sold the 325i and have never looked back.....The RS1i are great cans.

I am debating on getting a pair of those or saving a tad bit more and going for a Mapletree  MAD EAR + HD

i  had 325 and rs1i at the same time as well, both where sold because of beyerdynamic T1, though i wasn't planning on selling RS1i. 

i'm trying to look for a used pair as well, but they're hard to come by. and some ppl sell them way too expensive, and the ones that are actually priced decently sometimes are modded or not in good shape/old.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #585 of 2,110

love the ps500 !
i tried the hifiman he-4,i had been wanting to try something outside of the grado family,  the 500 with the g-cushes blew it away, and the 500, with the g-cushes, isn't a "typical" grado, at least of the one's i've heard.
i've just heard so much about the rs1, and 1i, until i try one, i'm always gonna wonder. would i like to hear some of the "real expensive" grado's , yeah, but i think i wouldn't enjoy them as much as
i've enjoyed the ps500, the ms2,
i've talked to one guy who has a rs1  for sale, the price is right, but i'd have to cover shipping from canada, which puts it just above what i want to pay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back