Grado RS1i Impressions thread
May 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #436 of 2,110
I recently bought also a RS1i on the Ebay. Mine has -9804- on both sides engraved.
Don't know if mine is from 1998 and month april ?

B.t.w. I like my RS1i very much
happy_face1.gif

May 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #437 of 2,110
^^ Congrats ^^

May 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #438 of 2,110
I recently bought also a RS1i on the Ebay. Mine has -9804- on both sides engraved.
Don't know if mine is from 1998 and month april ?

B.t.w. I like my RS1i very much :happy_face1:

Congrats on the RS1i's.... I believe that the serial number is just a sequentially incrementing number, not a year/month designation.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy your purchase :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #440 of 2,110
Just equipped mine with some G - Cushions.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #442 of 2,110
Quote:
What do you think of the G Cushions on the RS1i's? Does it change the signature dramatically?

Bigger soundstage.....less bass and midrange.

Really comfortable and a nice change of pace by just replacing the pads.

I still like the sound of the L cushions the best though.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #443 of 2,110
I have a pair of these, I don't use them often, I treat them as a precious listen once in a while treat. 

They sound pretty good but they don't take volume well, if they are 60% of an iphone for example they sound good, but anything more they start to sound rather harsh to my ears. 

Good for classical/folk/light rock. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #444 of 2,110
I recently purchased the RS-1 after owning the 325 and the PS-1000 for years.  The  325i was the first headphones I purchased and I loved the up close and personal sound.  The PS-1000 brings more soundstage and bass to the mix but loses some of the up close feel.  I hope the RS-1 falls somewhere between the two. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #445 of 2,110
Quote:
I recently purchased the RS-1 after owning the 325 and the PS-1000 for years.  The  325i was the first headphones I purchased and I loved the up close and personal sound.  The PS-1000 brings more soundstage and bass to the mix but loses some of the up close feel.  I hope the RS-1 falls somewhere between the two. 

having heard all 3 and owning 2, i feel that it does! the rs1 is just as close as the 325 but also more intimate and warm.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #446 of 2,110
hi folks,
Really appreciate all your insights.  I'm a 325i owner on the verge of living larger with a RS1i, though thinking about the PS500 as an alternative, as the RS1i may be more similar to the 325i than the PS500.  I've read that the RSIi doesn't need much amping.  One of the reasons I stick with Grados is that I can enjoy them via an IPAD or computer. I do have an Audioengine D1 amp/dac, which I hope will be sufficient to really maximize the RS1is, or the PS500s, should I go that route.  Any thoughts, when time permits?  much appreciated.
cantastic

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #447 of 2,110
i just received mine 2 days ago...they just looks so raw and gorgeous...i love it..!

Initial impression VS PS500:

1. They both shares a similar presentation. Airy, detailed, and good clarity with colored sounding. Also, they both are easy to drive cans. The best (from what i have) portable amp to go with Grado IMO is Fostex HPP1 and for the desktop amp is Centrance DACmini.
  1. The first thing i noticed is the bass. The PS500 has more bass presentation. However, i do prefer the bass on RS1i which IMO is more accurate and is more tight. The PS500 bass is a bit roll-off IMO. Using the PS500 with higher volume, i feel like the bass is leaking to the mids a bit which i don't like. But this RS1i is just perfect (for Grado's sound)
  2. The MIDS on RS1i is a bit more forward and give me a sense of more intimate feel during my listening, which i like of course. The overall presentation of RS1i is a bit more aggressive compared to PS500, by no means too attacking. I feel like decay a bit more faster on RS1i  and that surely wins in term of accuracy of presenting the vocal. The PS500 is a bit more laid back. I think they actually just about the same, and because the PS500 has dominated with bass, so that is why the mids becoming more laid back IMO. 
  3. The treble on PS500 is softer. But RS1i is not too harsh/sibilant either. I would say both treble are smooth. The RS1i has a bit more treble (just a tad) compared to PS500, which makes it more detailed compared to PS500 and wins in term of clarity level (and micro detailing as well).
  4. The soundstage they both just about the same. They do not perform as jaw-dropping as the T1 or HD800, but Grado has a unique sound signature which able to create such an extraordinary airy timbre and creates such a beautiful ambience of sound. Addicted? Definitely YES ! 
    biggrin.gif
  5. Instruments separation, They both good at it. I can hear clearly the instruments separation in the music. And because RS1i has more detail to it, so RS1i wins in this regards (not by much).
At the end, i will prefer RS1i for my taste 
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #448 of 2,110
yes!!

great pics too, the wood on yours looks really nice.

i heard the rs1i again at the chicago meet, i decided i must own these headphones again, someday.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #449 of 2,110
Quote:
yes!!

great pics too, the wood on yours looks really nice.

i heard the rs1i again at the chicago meet, i decided i must own these headphones again, someday.

Thanks DG..
I think is worth owning it. Even though my ears already much seasoned with the T1 and Hd800, but this rocker still withdraw my attention to listen. Very impressive sounding IMO.
The wood cup has a more softer color compared to the previous released i think, which is darker. But still...they looks really awesome, don't they 
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #450 of 2,110
Quote:
Bigger soundstage.....less bass and midrange.

Really comfortable and a nice change of pace by just replacing the pads.

I still like the sound of the L cushions the best though.

Try washing the pad, else it will sound too bright. I have heard that the bass loosens a lot by washing those pads from one who changed from old G's to new ones, and couldn't understand what happened with the sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back