Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jun 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #469 of 2,110
Quote:
Sorry I didn't read your sig in regards to the upgrade.
Context isn't my strong point.

yeah i didn't mention HE-500 either, should of been clearer on that.

also depending on how HE-6 sounds, i might end up keeping HE-500 
confused_face.gif
. kinda like how i've decided ill end up keeping LCD-2 when i buy LCD-3 somewhere down the line...

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #470 of 2,110
I kept my T1 and sold my PS500 (even though I preferred the PS500 to the T1 with my old amp and DAC) and am looking to buy either the LCD-2 or the HE-500 to run off my new Violectric stack when it arrives. What will you be using to drive the HE-6, Dubstep Girl?

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #471 of 2,110
Quote:
I kept my T1 and sold my PS500 (even though I preferred the PS500 to the T1 with my old amp and DAC) and am looking to buy either the LCD-2 or the HE-500 to run off my new Violectric stack when it arrives. What will you be using to drive the HE-6, Dubstep Girl?

not sure what i'll use when i buy HE-6. thats probably the only reason i haven't bought them. i love he-500 but feel they are missing some air and some resolution. i heard HE-5LE and also enjoyed those quite a bit, so now i really want HE-6, but not sure on the amp.

would either be something like a dark star or the hifiman amp or a WA5 through the k1k output or some decent speaker amp (not an emotiva, looking for something more end-game)

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #472 of 2,110
When I was shopping for a good British made tube amp for my T1's I only found one. Strangely enough though, there are a couple of amps available in the UK that are supposed to do very well with the HE-6. I fancy trying it one day but it's the kind of headphone that would always leave me wondering whether I was hearing it at maximum potential. Are you using the WA6SE with your HE500's?

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #474 of 2,110
Is there a store in LA, Orange County, Inland or Valley area in So Cal that sells RS1i.  
I would like to compare them with my Magnum to see I want to get the RS1i again.  
From memory, I think the Magnums have better detail but I miss the midbass hump, the resonance and warmth of the RS1i.
The Magnums are colder.  But this is all memory.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #475 of 2,110
Just tried the rs1's for the first time, compared them to the 325's. I was very surprised, they were brighter, annoying and had less bass. they look great, but what a disappointment. Do they need some kind of break-in or something? not a big believer in break-in.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #476 of 2,110
Maybe I am lucky and a very nice pair of 325i's, have read so much bad about them being paint peelers but mine sound pretty good, not Audeze smooth obviously, still brighter than PS500's but not offensive.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #477 of 2,110
Quote:
I kept my T1 and sold my PS500 

Oh man, makes me sick to my stomach reading that....those are my two favorite phones and I'd hate to ever choose between them

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #478 of 2,110
Could very well be differences in pads between rs1 and 325.

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #479 of 2,110
Quote:
Just tried the rs1's for the first time, compared them to the 325's. I was very surprised, they were brighter, annoying and had less bass. they look great, but what a disappointment. Do they need some kind of break-in or something? not a big believer in break-in.

I've been trying to enjoy my RS1is for the last two years.  In a weird way I feel that I should enjoy them based on everyone else's impressions, but if I had to describe them, 'bright, annoying and no bass' would sum it up quite well.  It's probably just a matter of the Grado sound not being 'my thing', but thought I'd share my feeling anyway.  I do like them with some acoustic guitar music though!

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #480 of 2,110
Oh man, makes me sick to my stomach reading that....those are my two favorite phones and I'd hate to ever choose between them

They're both excellent headphones but the Graham Slee amp I was using didn't do the T1 justice so I sold the PS500, the Slee and my HRT Music Streamer in order to fund an amp and DAC that would bring out the best in the T1 and my new headphones which just arrived 20 minutes ago - the LCD-2. I thought about a tube amp for a long time but in the end opted for a Violectric V200 and the V800 DAC. The amp is supposed to be a nice match for the T1 as far as solid states go and it'll certainly put enough current into the LCD-2 to get the best out of them. I think the headphones are both high-end enough to warrant the purchase of an £800 DAC, but yeah, I miss the PS500. I listened to a few in that price range and I they were undoubtedly the best. Not your typical Grado rock cans either. They sound superb with every genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back