Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #406 of 2,110
whatever you do, please don't commit this atrocity to your Rs1i's

+1
is it the length? or I'm assuming the weight maybe? ....
I think Grado might do this. You could buy your own cable and send it in along with your Rs1i. Contact Grado, you never know...

What did you do that RS-1? :ph34r: :p

The length was kind of short for me, but just grab the extension cable if your did not come with one.

It better come with an extension! :basshead:

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #407 of 2,110
Quote:
when Grado replaced your drivers, did you get back your same Rs1? same wood chambers with buttons? same thin cable or the newer thicker cable? My main curiosity really is whether they "liberate" the drivers carefully to re-use the wood chamber or if they just throw in some new ones?

yes, same everything else. the thin cable from the old one + the old wood chambers with buttons.

only thing changed was the drivers, and the headband because i requested a new one. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #408 of 2,110
hi guys, new owner here, #11015.

the store had only two pairs, i picked the lighter one.
however, the wood tone is still a little darker than what i expected/ like. 

having said that, i must say that they are really beautiful to look at.
the finishing, the grains, the neatly engraved words, the cups are very well defined with clean edges. 

I had about an hour with it yesterday switching around the two amps that I have.
Here's my initial impression straight out of the box:

I actually preferred it on the audinst hud mx1 than the wa6se.

On the wa6se, the highs are rolled off and it sounded less crisp, less immediacy.
There's substantially more bass, so much so that the mid bass hump became less prominent.
In my opinion, the rs1i on the wa6se takes away the essence of headphone.
just poor synergy, though i think the tubes i use may be a factor.

With the audinst, it sounded more like that grado80 i owned few years back, but significant improvements in definition and clarity.

I feel that the rs1i itself has a character of its own, and perhaps the best thing to do is to pair with a very neutral amp.
I can understand why some say they get the best result straight out of an ipod.

Also, i am very surprised how similar the rs1i sounds to the w3000anv tonally.

The w3000anv is much more refined across all frequency, less forward and has a larger soundstage despite being a closed headphone.
I would call them both "fun" headphones when compared to the LCD2.

Lastly, i find the headphones comfortable though the clamping pressure is a little tight being new.
i welcome the brightness of the rs1i as a complement to the LCD2. I don't find the highs sibilant or piercing, even before running in.

It is truly a very enjoyable headphones for casual listening.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #409 of 2,110
Quote:

yes, same everything else. the thin cable from the old one + the old wood chambers with buttons.

only thing changed was the drivers, and the headband because i requested a new one. 

thanks for the info.

Quote:
What did you do that RS-1?
ph34r.gif
tongue.gif

it's actually an Rs2i that's in the FS thread from a few days ago. I can't believe somebody would go to these lengths just to use a different cable!
size]

What indeed
size]

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #410 of 2,110
Quote:
yeah
ive had them on a pair of RS1i's i used to have (they looked just like the rs1 with buttons in that other guys picture, but the old ones failed and i had the drivers replaced with rs1i). 

the short time i had the rs1 drivers, the TTVJ helped them alot cause it made the sound warmer, but also made the mids shouty and too aggressive. the bowls where bright and unlistenable to me.

on my rs1i, the TTVJ flats simply made the midbass really strong and made the sound warmer with less treble, it was fun, but lacked the soundstage and detail and air from the regular grado bowls. its fun for listening to pop and heavier genres on the RS1i. i enjoyed both  quite a bit.

I received the TTVJ Flats. I tried them very briefly on the Rs1i and it sounded like a total mess, not  cool! On the other hand, I tried them on my Rs1 Classic A and it goes so much better with these. I finished watching Queen Rocks Montreal concert film and then a little bit of Live from Darryl's House which I had recorded on my DVR. Both live recordings sounded great! Very good tone on the Headphones. I

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #411 of 2,110
Quote:

On the wa6se, the highs are rolled off and it sounded less crisp, less immediacy.
There's substantially more bass, so much so that the mid bass hump became less prominent.
In my opinion, the rs1i on the wa6se takes away the essence of headphone.
just poor synergy, though i think the tubes i use may be a factor.

tube combinations can definitely play a large role in how the grados sound out of the WA6-SE, i enjoyed them, though im sure theres better amps out there for the grados. at the time i used 274b princess + 6ew7, so it was a very smooth and open sound, i would never consider the rs1i bassy, but they still had a lot of midbass punch

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #414 of 2,110
Quote:
I love my RS2is...how similar are they to the RS1is?

to me, a huge difference. but most people seem to find them very similar.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #415 of 2,110
Hello,

Can I get some advice on trying to buy an RS1i? 

I'm considering buying one second hand but I'm a bit worried about getting scammed because I don't have a lot of experience with any of the Grado headphones.

I really need to know what to watch out for.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #416 of 2,110
I would like to thank you on Head-fi.org and all that have posted useful posts in this thread. (In particular this Macedonian rocker).  

I do have a pair of Quad electrostatics in my living room - and I do appreciate the soundstage in all high-end loudspeakers. However, I did have problems to find a pair of head phones. 

Pursuing the "high end" sound is not always what you want to do - Something i experienced when I was trying different "Cans". First of all, some of the so called High End Phones are in my point of view, kind of boring. I was trying them with amps and DACs worth a fortune - but still I did not find the right sound. Finally I tried the PS1000 and GS1000i, which sound warmer, although they have the typical "Hi Fi sound" (I probably need to find a better word here). The problem is the mid-tone, which is my opinion is weak. I would love to listen to classical music on these phones for several hours, the 2 or 3 days a year I am in mood to spend a day to re-think my life and look at the November rain out my window. However, for my Jazz, acoustic, rock music - at least the GS1000i did not make a good match. I would have loved to love them, and I was very tempted to bring them home.

However, after a lot of reading and trying the PS1000 (as a reference), RS1i, PS500 and several Sennheizer Phones in several stores, I ended up with the RS1i. I bought a ARCAM rPAC DAC for "on the run" - and ordered a MAD Ear+ HD amplifier from the known doctor. I am planning to match the amp with a V-2 DAC, but this is do be decided.

After 1 week, the RS1i sound very "dynamic" and bright. When I am listening to these head phones, they remind me of the lack of dynamic sound in the Quads/electrostatic loudspeakers I have. It is like the "evil" twin or something, that makes me even love these phones even more. The vocals and the guitars sound great. (Try to compare the RS1i with GS1000i on Smashing Pumpkins- Quiet for instance. Or any Jazz record, or even opera).

However, I do have to agree with some of the known critics regarding RS1i. They do lack some soundstage compared to for instance PS10000. Using the RS1i, you are indeed on the first row in the concert hall. It is kind of "one dimensional". That said, if you really want a concert experience, all head phones are way behind some loudspeakers any way.

Of course, these are my personal opinions after one week, and I am still waiting for my Maple amp. It is very nice to reinvent good sound again. By the way, the rPAC is very nice compared to price. Furthermore, I wonder if I will regret not to buy the GS1000i - or maybe I will have a excuse to spoil myself in a few months/years. I believe any music lover should own a pair of RS1i any ways :) (I start to sound like a Apple fan boy).     

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #417 of 2,110
Quote:
I would like to thank you on Head-fi.org and all that have posted useful posts in this thread. (In particular this Macedonian rocker).  

I do have a pair of Quad electrostatics in my living room - and I do appreciate the soundstage in all high-end loudspeakers. However, I did have problems to find a pair of head phones. 

Pursuing the "high end" sound is not always what you want to do - Something i experienced when I was trying different "Cans". First of all, some of the so called High End Phones are in my point of view, kind of boring. I was trying them with amps and DACs worth a fortune - but still I did not find the right sound. Finally I tried the PS1000 and GS1000i, which sound warmer, although they have the typical "Hi Fi sound" (I probably need to find a better word here). The problem is the mid-tone, which is my opinion is weak. I would love to listen to classical music on these phones for several hours, the 2 or 3 days a year I am in mood to spend a day to re-think my life and look at the November rain out my window. However, for my Jazz, acoustic, rock music - at least the GS1000i did not make a good match. I would have loved to love them, and I was very tempted to bring them home.

However, after a lot of reading and trying the PS1000 (as a reference), RS1i, PS500 and several Sennheizer Phones in several stores, I ended up with the RS1i. I bought a ARCAM rPAC DAC for "on the run" - and ordered a MAD Ear+ HD amplifier from the known doctor. I am planning to match the amp with a V-2 DAC, but this is do be decided.

After 1 week, the RS1i sound very "dynamic" and bright. When I am listening to these head phones, they remind me of the lack of dynamic sound in the Quads/electrostatic loudspeakers I have. It is like the "evil" twin or something, that makes me even love these phones even more. The vocals and the guitars sound great. (Try to compare the RS1i with GS1000i on Smashing Pumpkins- Quiet for instance. Or any Jazz record, or even opera).

However, I do have to agree with some of the known critics regarding RS1i. They do lack some soundstage compared to for instance PS10000. Using the RS1i, you are indeed on the first row in the concert hall. It is kind of "one dimensional". That said, if you really want a concert experience, all head phones are way behind some loudspeakers any way.

Of course, these are my personal opinions after one week, and I am still waiting for my Maple amp. It is very nice to reinvent good sound again. By the way, the rPAC is very nice compared to price. Furthermore, I wonder if I will regret not to buy the GS1000i - or maybe I will have a excuse to spoil myself in a few months/years. I believe any music lover should own a pair of RS1i any ways :) (I start to sound like a Apple fan boy).     

Not that i regret buying my PS1000, in fact, far from it, but for about the same price, you can get both the RS1i and the GS1000, not a bad deal, if we can call it that.

By the way i think you meant Macedonian hero, not rocker.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #418 of 2,110
Quote:

this album was my favorite on the RS1i!!!!! after hearing it on the RS1i, i was like "yes!!! this is the way this is supposed to sound" one of the few moments which make me really miss my RS1i, nothing rocks as hard as a grado.

i upgraded to Beyerdynamic T1 though, which has a very awesome midrange as well, and more soundstage! 

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #419 of 2,110
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum although I have been reading it for about a year. I became interested after seeing a pair of RS2 on our auction site here in New Zealand and fell in love with the look ! I couldn't afford them and bought a pair of SR325i and at first wondered if what I had read about Grado being bright was true. I loved the sound but a little bright and light on weight but as the hours went by and they burnt in the improvement in the sound was fantastic ! Then i read about Mapletree and got a used Ear + Purist, not the HD that I have read about here but wow now i'm smiling ! I love the 325i's they are so alive ! I have just bought a pair of RS1i with about 150hrs on them and pick them up tonight !!! So finally get some woodys. I hope they are as good as I think they will be . I will post again after I've had a listen .

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #420 of 2,110
Quote:
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum although I have been reading it for about a year. I became interested after seeing a pair of RS2 on our auction site here in New Zealand and fell in love with the look ! I couldn't afford them and bought a pair of SR325i and at first wondered if what I had read about Grado being bright was true. I loved the sound but a little bright and light on weight but as the hours went by and they burnt in the improvement in the sound was fantastic ! Then i read about Mapletree and got a used Ear + Purist, not the HD that I have read about here but wow now i'm smiling ! I love the 325i's they are so alive ! I have just bought a pair of RS1i with about 150hrs on them and pick them up tonight !!! So finally get some woodys. I hope they are as good as I think they will be . I will post again after I've had a listen .

Looking forward to your comments-I'm digging the 225i so far unamped/DACed....but that is about to change...enjoy your upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back