Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Mar 23, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #226 of 2,110

Quote:
 That's the key trade-off between the RS1i and PS1000, on tracks where you want to be closer to those euphoric highs - the RS1i is more intimate but also
 more 'shouty' through the upper mids and treble on occasion, you find yourself having to occasionally regulate the volume as you chase that perfect volume level.

The PS1000 is extremely smooth due to the pad separation between the ear and driver, almost to the point that as mentioned in some other post -
 you can find yourself listening at very loud SPL's with acceptable levels of comfort and yet be totally aware that your hearing is not going to last if
 you continue to do so!

Treble summary in other words - the RS1i is more immediate sounding but the PS1000 presents a more realistic, live type of high note that is quite
 inviting but it can beckon you to keep upping the volume - this is a very crucial point to consider with these - it sounds very pleasant, far beyond
 where other cans have started to sound harsh and you automatically reduce the volume, the PS1000 still sounds great at silly SPL's so be careful.

Comfort wise it's another mixed bag - the PS1000 is a dedicated 'sit down and stay put' headphone like the HD800 LCD2/LCD3 - yes it's big and heavy
 but it's quite balanced once placed on the head, the pads act as support mechanisms from the side. The only downfall is that after a few hours you
 will notice where the main load is acting on your head. Usually a small 3cm x 3cm contact patch atop of your head starts to feel the weight.

I'm yet to finalize the solution myself but it's not a deal breaker - they just need a clever $60-$100 custom 'clip-on' custom headband to distribute
 the weight to outer edges of the head and add further support.

By comparison, the RS1i is ridiculously light and handy - especially for a headphone capable of this sort of reproduction quality, but I do find
 it clamps a little (yet to bend the headband from the stock position) more than my 325i.

Thanks again Gwarmi. I appreciate your thoughtful replies.
smile.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #227 of 2,110
I was at Planet of Sound in Ottawa today. The nice guys there had a demo pair of RS-1i shipped up from their Toronto store. After reading many, many, many reviews I can say they are pretty much exactly what I expected!

I currently have a pair of Senn HD650 and they just weren't doing it for me for punk, hardcore, metal, etc... There are a lot of crummy recordings in those genres. I needed something that would make these genres rock me hard. The RS-1i did it! After only 20 minutes I was decided. I placed an order through them for a brand new pair! I should hopefully have them by Wednesday.

I think I will be quite settled now with 2 beautiful headphones that compliment each others' weaknesses. I have my Senns for relaxing, beautifully recorded, bed-time like music. Then the Grados for when I want to just rock out or be excited.

I sampled the Grados today using and iPod classic with an fiio E11 amp. Can't wait to hear them on my home setup. Kingrex UD-01 DAC with Kingrex SLAP Battery PSU going to a custom made amp by another local store.

Woo!!

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #228 of 2,110
Hello Forum

I'm in a Journey :)

Got my first Grados a couple of weeks ago, the SR 225i's and really like the Boldness in their sound print. Now that I got addicted I want more! So I'm looking into the RS1i / RS2i that to my understanding are more refined and have better Bass maintaining the sound signature of the 225i.

I had a lent the PS500 and been comparing them, here's what I can say about them (PS500): has a greater sound stage, more bass extending to midrange, Mids are recessed for my liking and trebles not as bright as the 225i's. Overall like more the 225i's because of there forwardness and forgiveness with bad recordings or lower quality (don't have that much of grain). The PS500 has a tube like sound that some may like I dont.

So... Im willing to trade de 225i's for the RS1i or RS2i and wondering Which?

PD: I use iPod Classic 5G + Fiio e11 amp listen to electronic, rock, pop, folk, indie and virtually any other gender (not so much country or hip hop)

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #229 of 2,110
Does anybody know of a recent frequency response graph of the RS1i, I know headroom hasn't updated theirs (last I heard at least) and is still listed as the non-i version. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #230 of 2,110
#11249 checking in.  Burning in as we speak, but the majority of change should occur within 10 hours if they are like previous Grados that I burned in.  Also have an Ear+ HD coming next week (well, it came last week but it had a problem and is being serviced).  Can't wait to hear the combo!

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #232 of 2,110
I got some second hand from flea bay recently and was not impressed, I found the highs shrill to an uncomfortable point and I couldn't enjoy the music. Before on selling them and calling my grado days over I put some ttvj flat pads on them. Oh my god !! I can now see what everyone is on about. I love them. If you haven't yet get some flats, the difference is night and day an changed them from a dissapointing unlistenable (IMHO)to a beast that I will take to the grave.

GET SOME FLATS!!

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #233 of 2,110
As a headfi newbie, I've tried a few headphones in the past a couple of months: HD598, HD650, HD600,DT880/600ohm, and DT770. After I acquired the HD800, I sold all but the DT770 for movie and closed cans in certain occasions. Have been enjoying music like never before, but I feel there is something missing when compare all these to my long gone SR60.

Just ordered an RS1i today, hopefully it'd be here by next week. Hopefully it'd be a good compliment to the HD800. I probably would use the Grados for pop/rocks and maybe some jazz. I feel HD800 is a bit lacking in these kind of musics.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #234 of 2,110
Fengwei007, any update on the RS1is compared to your HD800?
I've been deciding all week whether I should go for the RS1is or the HD800s/Beyer T90 but can't seem to decide, I'm a lover of mids/vocals and a more upbeat music listening, rather than having it too laid back, when it's too laid back I tend to forget about the music unless listening is all I'm doing, I've been really enjoying the sound of my Brainwavz B2s that are quite bright, compared to say,   the HE-400s which are the most laid back headphone I've ever had, and while the 400s sound great, it doesn't engage me as much as a brighter sound would.

With that being said, I want my next purchase to last me a while, atleast so I can concentrate on upgrading the DAC/AMP side of things, it'll be my main headphone for quite a while, half a year atleast, and the comfort and longevity of the RS1i worry me, I won't have the HE-400s to fall back on as I sold them off. 

I've also looked at the PS500s but the RS1is intrigue me a little more, I prefer the wood styling over the more modern, metallic PS500s, sound signature wise I have no idea what I'm getting into but I've heard the higher-end Grados have the most clarity of any headphones, and clarity along with vocal realism and engagement are my top priorities.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #236 of 2,110
Trying to get people's opinion on the Asgard vs cmoyBB/E17

I know the Asgards are great with the RS1i but how does the quality compare when driven by the cmoyBB or E17? Anywhere near the level of the Asgard?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #237 of 2,110
Quote:
As a headfi newbie, I've tried a few headphones in the past a couple of months: HD598, HD650, HD600,DT880/600ohm, and DT770. After I acquired the HD800, I sold all but the DT770 for movie and closed cans in certain occasions. Have been enjoying music like never before, but I feel there is something missing when compare all these to my long gone SR60.

Just ordered an RS1i today, hopefully it'd be here by next week. Hopefully it'd be a good compliment to the HD800. I probably would use the Grados for pop/rocks and maybe some jazz. I feel HD800 is a bit lacking in these kind of musics.

^

+1

i really enjoyed my rs1 with that, and find that while the hd 800 does a good job with them, the rs1 does do it better. i use my T1 now though.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #240 of 2,110
like my RS1 #6375, used bud prerfect contition
square rods, thiner kable than RS1i, and medium dark mahagony

nice sounding headphones, has different sound signature than my second headphones MS2i ..... it's true when they say that Alessandro is really more neutral than Grado. Grado play a little more mids, more detail in the sound, especially in the lower zone. Human voices are made ​​with a higher degree of separation from the band ... as if the singer is closer to the listener than the band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back