Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Oct 9, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #123 of 2,110
I think Grados sound best with Bowl anyway 
biggrin.gif

udac-2? hmm... never heard it before, looks like I've to start searching about it

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #124 of 2,110
Anyone know how the rs1is sound with Schiit amplifiers
L3000.gif
? no but really, do they work well with the Valhalla?

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #125 of 2,110
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member but have been using this site for some time to glean some amazing information and recommendations.  Just wanted to say thank you to this community.  I recently purchased a set of RS1i's and I thought I should bump an old thread and show a little love.  Took a quick pic; could have been better but you all know what I'm talking about :)

Cheers,
Al

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #126 of 2,110
All RS1i owners,

Can you describe how your RS1i sounds? Does it sound edgy,bright and even harsh under certain songs? Is the treble very crisp?

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #127 of 2,110

Quote:
All RS1i owners,

Can you describe how your RS1i sounds? Does it sound edgy,bright and even harsh under certain songs? Is the treble very crisp?

Fabulous! Paired with my MAD Ear+HD they still get head time event though I own some much more expensive headphones. Still amongst the very best rock cans I've heard. Are they edgy, yes, and bright with some recordings...maybe a bit, but not harsh to my ears.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #128 of 2,110
Thanks for your input, did you ever own a RS1 before the RS1i? If so, how similar or different do they sound? I'm asking because I have heard 3 RS1i. I demoed one in a store that was very much the same sound grado signature as my RS1 ( as well as my previous SR225) which is bright and can be harsh sounding, bass light and tight as well. The two other RS1i, I have owned ( Online purchases, no chance to demo before buying) and they were so different that I was very disappointed. The treble was too tame and the upper midrange peak was not there. Imagine a grado that was playing it safe, trying to not emphasis anything. That was what those two sounded like.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #129 of 2,110

Quote:
All RS1i owners,

I found it really balanced when paired with a good amp.  I guess I could describe it with a slightly warmer than neutral tone with all the unamped and amped combinations.  I suspect it has to do something with the wooden body.  I really enjoy them because I think they are a very musical headphone.  Definitely not a monitoring type of headphone but gives you the subtle midrange cues that most music centers on. I would not characterize it as bright or edgy however it definitely reveals low quality recordings and production techniques. 

From your impressions of previous RS1's the "i" version is much more livelier and does include more highs and lows from previous incarnations.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Al

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #130 of 2,110

Quote:
Thanks for your input, did you ever own a RS1 before the RS1i? If so, how similar or different do they sound? I'm asking because I have heard 3 RS1i. I demoed one in a store that was very much the same sound grado signature as my RS1 ( as well as my previous SR225) which is bright and can be harsh sounding, bass light and tight as well. The two other RS1i, I have owned ( Online purchases, no chance to demo before buying) and they were so different that I was very disappointed. The treble was too tame and the upper midrange peak was not there. Imagine a grado that was playing it safe, trying to not emphasis anything. That was what those two sounded like.

Why yes I did own the RS1s before the RS1is. I found the mid bass slightly less on the RS1i, beyond that, not much else.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #131 of 2,110
I just joined the club & the RS1i is the first phone that makes me think I may not need my other phones.

To confirm this I ordered from Woo Audio Stax SR303 to use with my SRM-1/MK-2 amp.

Let the playoffs begin!

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #133 of 2,110
i just a/b'd at bay and bloor radio a bunch of headphones. They dont have a proper set up as they were running the sound through an ipod via a peach tree tube preamp. So i believe that this gave a large disadvantage to the power hungry hd800's, and hd650's. i also listened to the denon 5000 & 7000. The sens were murky, the denons bass was too boomy the grado rs1i's however made me hear things in tracks i never heard before. This was the same phenomenon I encountered on my Dynaudio bm15a monitors and i consider it a hallmark trait of only the finest in musical reproduction. I would love to a/b the rs1i against lcd2 and then fully cement my decision but for now im sold on the grados.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #134 of 2,110
Quote:
i just a/b'd at bay and bloor radio a bunch of headphones. They dont have a proper set up as they were running the sound through an ipod via a peach tree tube preamp. So i believe that this gave a large disadvantage to the power hungry hd800's, and hd650's. i also listened to the denon 5000 & 7000. The sens were murky, the denons bass was too boomy the grado rs1i's however made me hear things in tracks i never heard before. This was the same phenomenon I encountered on my Dynaudio bm15a monitors and i consider it a hallmark trait of only the finest in musical reproduction. I would love to a/b the rs1i against lcd2 and then fully cement my decision but for now im sold on the grados.

Grados sound very good through portable players, so good that I wouldn't say there is a big difference when amped. A solid state amp will help widen the soundstage and overall just better imaging,layering and separation of instruments to some degree depending on what you're listening to. Did you compare the RS1i to the other grados? The RS1i from my experience sound very different from the rest, not nearly as bright as say the SR60i

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #135 of 2,110
I breifly demoed the rs2i and thought the jump to the rs1's was quite noticeable. I found them more detailed and also enjoyed the bass a lot more without the bass being over the top and still maintaing clarity. I only wish they had a proper head amp to listen on, and a salperson that didnt frown when asked to switch headphones or change the source to cd. It would have been a pleasant bonus.

I was thinking on supporting my fellow Canadian Gilbert Yeung and the hat peed thingee or hpt2. Would this be overkill for this set of cans? Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back