Grado RS1i Impressions thread
May 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,097 of 2,110
I wonder if these design changes will filter down to the other Grados? Or, if there are unique to the RS1i, does that mean there will be 2 versions of the L cushion pad, one old-style and one specifically for the RS1i?

I saw a red driver back PS500 somewhere along my search but didn't see if it had a raised driver housing.

May 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #1,098 of 2,110
  The ID of the new RS-1i pad is larger, as is the OD (just slightly) than PS500. The driver housing (black plastic part) looks to be the same diameter as the PS500.

According to your post with the pic's...you say the PS cushion is the right pic…ID is a larger than the RS1i's left pic ID, no? Correct me if I am wrong. 
confused_face.gif

Also neither of these headphones have plastic driver housings, they are both housed in wood. 
smile.gif

May 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,099 of 2,110
  According to your post with the pic's...you say the PS cushion is the right pic…ID is a larger than the RS1i's left pic ID, no? Correct me if I am wrong. 
confused_face.gif

Also neither of these headphones have plastic driver housings, they are both housed in wood. 
smile.gif

I think the confusion is with the pictures. The top and bottom pics of the pads show left and right reversed. I thought the accompanying text explained that but I can see where it would be confusing.

I realize the whole transducer is housed in wood. I was talking about the plastic piece that directly surrounds the transducer and protrudes out of the wood housing.

May 31, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #1,100 of 2,110

I think the confusion is with the pictures. The top and bottom pics of the pads show left and right reversed. I thought the accompanying text explained that but I can see where it would be confusing.

I realize the whole transducer is housed in wood. I was talking about the plastic piece that directly surrounds the transducer and protrudes out of the wood housing.

OK, now I understand what you mean, it was a bit confusing. After I replied, I realized that you meant the driver itself, not the housing. So the cushions from your RS's fit your PS's, but the
RS's ID/OD are a little large for the PS. Understood. 
size]

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,104 of 2,110
Hi Guys,

Just joined the site after lurking for a few months.

I'm very new to the audiophile world.

I was wondering if anyone in the UK has ever purchased Grados from the states before. It seems like a no-brainer because of the huge price difference, but I didn't know if there would be any compatibility/shipping issues etc??

I just bought some ps500's which I love to bits and I really would like the RS1I's but in the UK they are 700 quid!

Thanks in advance

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,105 of 2,110
Hi
I managed to pick up an ex- dem pair of RS1i on eBay for £570 although in the end I received a new pair(the shop found the demo pr to be faulty so sent a new pair instead)however I did get my SR325is from the states no comparability issues they are the same as the ones sold in the UK but if you have any warranty issues you'll be paying for the return postage,I don't think Grado in the uk will be interested.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #1,106 of 2,110
  Hi Guys,

Just joined the site after lurking for a few months.

I'm very new to the audiophile world.

I was wondering if anyone in the UK has ever purchased Grados from the states before. It seems like a no-brainer because of the huge price difference, but I didn't know if there would be any compatibility/shipping issues etc??

I just bought some ps500's which I love to bits and I really would like the RS1I's but in the UK they are 700 quid!

Thanks in advance

Welcome!

No compatibility issues, but you'll find it very hard to get a pair shipped to the UK from the states from a Grado dealer. Grado control their distribution (and prices!) very tightly and make sure that US Grado dealers don't undercut the prices of local dealers in the UK, Europe and elsewhere.

There are proxy services who will do the shipping for you,but I looked at a few and found the end-price to be not much cheaper.

One exception is Alessandro headphones, which offers 3 slightly modified versions of the Grado lineup: MS1i, MS2i and MS Pro (which is an RS1i tuned to be slightly more neutral-sounding). They can be purchased directly from the Alessandro website at the USA price and delivered worldwide. You'll have to pay import tax & duty, but the price will still be cheaper than buying an RS1i locally.

A better option might be to buy used off the Head-Fi classified ads. People here tend to look after their gear and you can get some bargains. The going rate for a used RS1i in the UK/EU is around £300-£400, depending on condition. You can get a better deal buying from someone in the states, but again, there's import duty to consider.

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,107 of 2,110

Welcome!

No compatibility issues, but you'll find it very hard to get a pair shipped to the UK from the states from a Grado dealer. Grado control their distribution (and prices!) very tightly and make sure that US Grado dealers don't undercut the prices of local dealers in the UK, Europe and elsewhere.

There are proxy services who will do the shipping for you,but I looked at a few and found the end-price to be not much cheaper.

One exception is Alessandro headphones, which offers 3 slightly modified versions of the Grado lineup: MS1i, MS2i and MS Pro (which is an RS1i tuned to be slightly more neutral-sounding). They can be purchased directly from the Alessandro website at the USA price and delivered worldwide. You'll have to pay import tax & duty, but the price will still be cheaper than buying an RS1i locally.

A better option might be to buy used off the Head-Fi classified ads. People here tend to look after their gear and you can get some bargains. The going rate for a used RS1i in the UK/EU is around £300-£400, depending on condition. You can get a better deal buying from someone in the states, but again, there's import duty to consider.

Thanks for lengthy reply  and quick mate - you've been a massive help and I really appreciate it.

I'm gonna keep an eye out in the ads I think
cool.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,108 of 2,110
Hi
I managed to pick up an ex- dem pair of RS1i on eBay for £570 although in the end I received a new pair(the shop found the demo pr to be faulty so sent a new pair instead)however I did get my SR325is from the states no comparability issues they are the same as the ones sold in the UK but if you have any warranty issues you'll be paying for the return postage,I don't think Grado in the uk will be interested.

Same goes to you, brother - thanks for replying

I'll keep an eye out
redface.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,109 of 2,110
Another option is to look on the other EU Amazon sites from the UK. The Euro is weak against the pound so you can save that way and don't have to pay any import taxes (benefit from EU membership in the UK while it lasts!). I often find things much cheaper on Amazon.de, Amazon.fr and Amazon.it (but you need to be willing to wait between 3-7 days for delivery usually).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back