Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #676 of 2,110
Jay....how are the LCD's sounding....are they putting a smile on your face when you listen to rock.......Are you able to just enjoy the music without analyzing it.....and most important....how do the guitars sound.

I am listening to one of my all time favorite live albums......REO SPEEDWAGON - You Get What You Play For.....feet tapping....head bobbin...big smile  
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #677 of 2,110
I, too, put in some hours with the RS1i today. Will continue with it later tonight! Great ears listen alike.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #678 of 2,110
  I'm about to hit the recliner with the RS's, the WA6 and the Meridian203DAC. Mine haven't had much ear time since I had the issues with the Ear+HD. I've been waiting just to use them with either amp I was going to end up with. I used them with the WA6/Modi last night for about 3hrs, and the combo was very nice even though the amp is brand new, it sounded beautiful, very big sound. Tonight I'll put another 3-4hrs listening with the Meridian DAC and some Cd's because thats where I placed the WA6 (near the recliner) for when I want to just relax, and I use the LD1+/Modi at the desk while I'm on the computer.

though i've never heard the woo, or the meridian, i'm guessing you you've got the set up just right, woo and meridian at the recliner,
little dot modi at the "work station"

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #679 of 2,110
  Jay....how are the LCD's sounding....are they putting a smile on your face when you listen to rock.......Are you able to just enjoy the music without analyzing it.....and most important....how do the guitars sound.

I am listening to one of my all time favorite live albums......REO SPEEDWAGON - You Get What You Play For.....feet tapping....head bobbin...big smile  
L3000.gif

i tell you, the lcd's have really grown on me, the soundstage so much bigger than the rs1i's , i think part of what i was hearing with them at first bass wise, was due to the lyr's being a tube amp, but maybe a bigger part was me just being used to the amount, ans type of bass there is.
and the most important thing now, yes, i'm grooving without analyzing,
now i have been doing some comparing today, with the wadia, and the bifrost/soloist (BS, get it?lol)
i've got it set up were i can make some easy swaps between the 121, and the bifrost, while the wadia is better, the bifrost really holds it's on, what really suprised me about the wadia is how insanely good the headphone amp is, its going to be hard deciding to give either the bifrost or the wadia up, i can come up with great reasons for getting rid of either, or keeping both !

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #680 of 2,110

though i've never heard the woo, or the meridian, i'm guessing you you've got the set up just right, woo and meridian at the recliner,
little dot modi at the "work station"

Yes, it seems like I've got it all setup just right now, for whatever kind of listening I would like to do. I must say, the WA6 is pleasing me very, very much for the little amount of time I've had/listened to it. I've actually never heard my music this way, the separation and the texture of the music is just…well like I said,  something I've never heard before with another amp. I've also never heard sub bass like I'm hearing (very subtle) not overwhelming at all and the mids and highs seem spot on for me, and the sound stage is very nice, but still very focused and clear, where I'm able to hear instrument separation in places I've never heard (sounds instruments are outside of my head in the high/low-left/right- front/back and center, if that makes any sense). Also this amp delivers that Grado sound that makes me love Grado, still has that somewhat of attack, but laid back just the right amount, for me. After having the Ear+HD for the short time I had it, I was thinking to myself maybe I'm not a tube kind of guy when switching from my Adcom-710 (which is lightening quick and sharp), and then hearing the Ear+HD (which was very smooth and mellow), I sought of missed that quickness of the SS, but at the same time liked the smoothness and the warmth of the Ear+HD. With the WA6, I find it is falling inbetween both of these amps, and more... much more than I ever expected! I know i'm being quick to say this in such little time, but I may be done!!!

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #682 of 2,110
I have to say after owning these cans for a week and a half now, they really do play a lot closer to the $1000 price range than I expected them to. The only thing that really disappoints me is that they don't seem to have a quality feel to them other than the cups and the cable. I wish the higher end models had an upgraded headband, and better gimbals. I'm not really fond of the plastic and thin leather feel.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #683 of 2,110
  I have to say after owning these cans for a week and a half now, they really do play a lot closer to the $1000 price range than I expected them to. The only thing that really disappoints me is that they don't seem to have a quality feel to them other than the cups and the cable. I wish the higher end models had an upgraded headband, and better gimbals. I'm not really fond of the plastic and thin leather feel.

X2.

Sold mine recently but this bothers me(still).
Also the paint flaked off the grills in about a month of ownership.

Then again I've never met a stubborn man from Brooklyn
redface.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #686 of 2,110
hey RS1i appreciators...

what is a good amp pairing with the RS1i?  they sound great from my magni but i'm convinced that something with tubes could potentially calm some brightness and make better use of the nice low end that these have, but don't demonstrate from my magni.  they sound better to me from my fiio E17 which i consider a warm-sounding amp compared to my magni

would prefer cheap, i almost bought a vali but there were some comments about noise with grado's?

i'm just stunned by how much i enjoy these phones and would like to try some synergy in the gear now

thanks!

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #687 of 2,110
Well, to get a pure tube amp...you will have to spend a few hundred dollars....but never fear...you can grab a hybrid, and the Little Dot 1+ is a great little amp for a really nice price....it plays very nice with the RS1i too.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #688 of 2,110
  Well, to get a pure tube amp...you will have to spend a few hundred dollars....but never fear...you can grab a hybrid, and the Little Dot 1+ is a great little amp for a really nice price....it plays very nice with the RS1i too.

Hey Whirl, what tubes and OP amp are you running in the LD1+ and RS1 ?

Thinking about getting one too.

thanks

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #689 of 2,110

well...does a proper tube setup play better than a hybrid?  i see you have the immensely popular and quite pricey mad ear...is it worth the $600 over the little dot (subjectively of course, and thanks!)  those LD's are so cheap i should just get one, or a Vali, and find out for myself anyways.

i was looking at a schiit valhalla as well.  if the amp would also play nice with my HE400 then i'd spend a bit more...

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #690 of 2,110
  Hey Whirl, what tubes and OP amp are you running in the LD1+ and RS1 ?

Thinking about getting one too.

thanks

Hey Kramer.....My son is using my LD1+ at the moment...OPA2107 and Mullard EF92 which are 6QC6 is what I used the last time that I used it....I am not quite sure what combo he has put in since he has had it.

Pretty darn good amp for the price.

I believe this is one of the amps you recommended to me some time ago 
smile.gif

well...does a proper tube setup play better than a hybrid?  i see you have the immensely popular and quite pricey mad ear...is it worth the $600 over the little dot (subjectively of course, and thanks!)  those LD's are so cheap i should just get one, or a Vali, and find out for myself anyways.

i was looking at a schiit valhalla as well.  if the amp would also play nice with my HE400 then i'd spend a bit more...

The MAD EAR +HD is a fantastic amp for the RS1i.....I bought mine 2nd hand so I got it quite a bit cheaper.

Does it sound better than the LD1+....Yes it does......Does it sound $600 better than the LD1+...well, that is tough to say....depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The synergy is off the chart with the right tubes.....That being said the LD1+ sounds very nice and you have the option to roll opamps and tubes, which is an awesome feature and makes this amp a fantastic bang for your buck.

I will say this, if anything happened to my MAD EAR +HD I would miss it very much and I definitely would replace it....my RS1i pretty much stay plugged into my MAD EAR.

When I did buy my MAD EAR I kept the LD1+, just because it is a darn good amp for the money and I could not see getting rid of it.

Congrats on your purchase of your RS1i...they are a real treat to listen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back