Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Nov 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #856 of 1,221

Quote:
Worst case with the PS-500 is the emphasis in the upper bass.  Just apply some compensation if it's too much and you get smooth detailed sound all the way up, with realistic instrument sounds.  I don't get the impression of any treble rolloff, but I can see where on some tracks with the upper bass emphasis, the treble might be partially obscured.

I think that is a issue with open headphones that try for too emphasized bass because subbass is hard to replicate with a open enclosure so any increase in bass results in more mid/upper bass which is usually undesirable, haven't heard any open headphones with good subbass yet

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #858 of 1,221

Quote:
Try the LCD-2 :wink:

Solution to everything.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #859 of 1,221
Nov 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #860 of 1,221
Recently bought these.  My first open headphones.  I mainly listen to hip hop and rock.  Loving the sound so far.
My only issue are the ear pads.  For long listening sessions it causes a slight discomfort to my ears as they are "pressed".  I'm searching for a circumaural-pad fix for this.  I looked at the Grado's G-Cush pads.  Any comments on the PS500 with G-Cush pads would be great.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #861 of 1,221
Recently bought these.  My first open headphones.  I mainly listen to hip hop and rock.  Loving the sound so far.
My only issue are the ear pads.  For long listening sessions it causes a slight discomfort to my ears as they are "pressed".  I'm searching for a circumaural-pad fix for this.  I looked at the Grado's G-Cush pads.  Any comments on the PS500 with G-Cush pads would be great.

I can't directly speak for the PS500 but I did have the jumbos with the very similar HF2 and I can say I liked them. Although it's not a universal feeling. I liked the added soundstage and, IMHO, it balanced the sound out. Not everyone likes the jumbos so it's personal preference. YMMV

As for the pads you have now, you can (gently) bend the headband expanding them to ease some of the pressure.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #862 of 1,221

Quote:

I can't vouch for any of the other earpads, but I can tell you that I have to listen with my glasses off, because I get more pinching in the ears when my glasses are on.  When they are off, I have a very slight discomfort every so often, and I just shift the earpads a tiny amount - not enough to change the sound - just to shift the pressure points slightly.  So it's no big deal for me, even though it's not perfect.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #864 of 1,221
Nov 25, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #865 of 1,221

Quote:

I use the G-Cush on my PS500 and 325is.  I'm still trying figure out how they're changing the sound but for comfort and soundstage, they can't be beat.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #866 of 1,221
So, I bought these headphones a few days back and so far I've been running them straight off my laptop's headphone out. I have a Total Bithead back home and the earliest I can get it would be in around 45 days. Will it be worth waiting for? Or should I spend on something else? I have around $250 to spend on a DAC+Headphone amplifier solution at the moment. What do you guys suggest? I mostly listen to Rock and that includes almost all of its sub-genres. I understand the audiophile lingo so you guys can be as graphic as you want. Would really appreciate some help. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #867 of 1,221

Quote:
So, I bought these headphones a few days back and so far I've been running them straight off my laptop's headphone out. I have a Total Bithead back home and the earliest I can get it would be in around 45 days. Will it be worth waiting for? Or should I spend on something else? I have around $250 to spend on a DAC+Headphone amplifier solution at the moment. What do you guys suggest? I mostly listen to Rock and that includes almost all of its sub-genres. I understand the audiophile lingo so you guys can be as graphic as you want. Would really appreciate some help. 

just out of curiosity, how are you liking them so far even though you run just out of laptop headphone out?

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #868 of 1,221

Quote:
just out of curiosity, how are you liking them so far even though you run just out of laptop headphone out?

I'll start off by saying that I have owned a pair of KEF iQ90 loudspeakers running off Denon AVR3808 for 3 years, so yeah I have a fair bit of entry level hi-fi know how. 

Grado PS500s, they are ruthless! Ruthless in the sense that they make badly recorded music sound HORRIBLE and well recorded music sound as good as it gets. For example Mummford and Sons and Fleetwood Mac sounds fantastic, while Coldplays new album sounded atrocious. But then again Mylo Xyloto was horribly mastered.

My take on the headphones is that they shine with string and hollow instruments and percussions; while the vocals are good they sounded slightly wrongly positioned, in terms of depth. The transients are very accurate, the sound across the the spectrum is very controlled and they are lightning fast! Overall, they sound good out of the headphones out, but then again I have little to no experience with quality headphones and so I want to make sure I am not missing out on anything.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #869 of 1,221

Quote:
I'll start off by saying that I have owned a pair of KEF iQ90 loudspeakers running off Denon AVR3808 for 3 years, so yeah I have a fair bit of entry level hi-fi know how. 

Grado PS500s, they are ruthless! Ruthless in the sense that they make badly recorded music sound HORRIBLE and well recorded music sound as good as it gets. For example Mummford and Sons and Fleetwood Mac sounds fantastic, while Coldplays new album sounded atrocious. But then again Mylo Xyloto was horribly mastered.

My take on the headphones is that they shine with string and hollow instruments and percussions; while the vocals are good they sounded slightly wrongly positioned, in terms of depth. The transients are very accurate, the sound across the the spectrum is very controlled and they are lightning fast! Overall, they sound good out of the headphones out, but then again I have little to no experience with quality headphones and so I want to make sure I am not missing out on anything.

biggrin.gif
 Keep going ~ 'A Rush of Blood to the Head', 'Parachutes' ~ just various shades of crappy mastering really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back