Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Nov 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #871 of 1,221

Quote:
But my question remains, should I wait for my Total Bithead or can I get something which significantly better for under $250? 

I'd just wait it out if I were you ~ if you're prepared to step that amount up to $350USD then the Audio GD NFB-5 would be an option.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #872 of 1,221
Thanks for the help man. I'll wait for my Total Bithead then. 

And yea Coldplay sound awful! But then again most modern rock recordings are horribly mastered. What  a pity. On top of that, headphones like PS500 make them sound almost unbearable.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #873 of 1,221
Is it only the pair I tried that has the STRONGEST BASS EVA?! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #874 of 1,221
Coldplay in particular have some of the worst recordings I own. So compacted and two dimensional. It's like sitting in an eggshell, and whenever you go over to examine something, you poke your finger right through the wall.

Quote:
Thanks for the help man. I'll wait for my Total Bithead then. 

And yea Coldplay sound awful! But then again most modern rock recordings are horribly mastered. What  a pity. On top of that, headphones like PS500 make them sound almost unbearable.

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #875 of 1,221

Quote:
I'll start off by saying that I have owned a pair of KEF iQ90 loudspeakers running off Denon AVR3808 for 3 years, so yeah I have a fair bit of entry level hi-fi know how. 

Grado PS500s, they are ruthless! Ruthless in the sense that they make badly recorded music sound HORRIBLE and well recorded music sound as good as it gets. For example Mummford and Sons and Fleetwood Mac sounds fantastic, while Coldplays new album sounded atrocious. But then again Mylo Xyloto was horribly mastered.

My take on the headphones is that they shine with string and hollow instruments and percussions; while the vocals are good they sounded slightly wrongly positioned, in terms of depth. The transients are very accurate, the sound across the the spectrum is very controlled and they are lightning fast! Overall, they sound good out of the headphones out, but then again I have little to no experience with quality headphones and so I want to make sure I am not missing out on anything.

So true about Coldplay!  
mad.gif
 How the hell a top band like them can just get their talented work butchered like this?? I saw them live twice and I know they can sound good.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #876 of 1,221

I'd like to throw another notorious British band into the mix, renowned for sub par recordings,

Coldplay is one thing, but what happens when you take this recording method and apply it
 to something a little bit heavier in the rock department, what do you get?

OASIS!

Easily one of the biggest let-downs through Head-Fi for me after finding out that, the more resolving
 the gear, the more sibilant, LOUD and compressed these 90's anthems really are..

Shame, shame, shame Mr Liam and Noel Gallagher..

Highly recommend someone give their material a go on the Grados, but don't say you were not
 warned! 
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #877 of 1,221
So true about Oasis. But then again most of the modern stuff is badly mastered. So much so that well recorded current rock bands can be counted on finger tips. From the top of my head, the only  well recorded  bands I can name are Mumford And Sons, Porcupine Tree, Death Cab for Cutie, Dave Mathews Band, Opeth, Guns N' Roses and Tool.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #878 of 1,221

Quote:

I'd like to throw another notorious British band into the mix, renowned for sub par recordings,

Coldplay is one thing, but what happens when you take this recording method and apply it
 to something a little bit heavier in the rock department, what do you get?

OASIS!

Easily one of the biggest let-downs through Head-Fi for me after finding out that, the more resolving
 the gear, the more sibilant, LOUD and compressed these 90's anthems really are..

Shame, shame, shame Mr Liam and Noel Gallagher..

Highly recommend someone give their material a go on the Grados, but don't say you were not
 warned! 
smile.gif

Or, in the alternative, listen to some music that isn't horrible. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #880 of 1,221

Same British vein and time period as Oasis ~ some would say where Liam Gallagher from Oasis got his
 haircut, mojo and general style.

Ian Brown and the Stone Roses ~ superb recording regarding their last best of ~ come on everyone knows 'Fools Gold' from
 the film 'Snatch' with Brad Pitt in one of the leading roles as shifty gypsy boxer 
wink_face.gif

Seriously ~ I was highly impressed with the production values of this record.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #881 of 1,221

Quote:
Da fug?

graphCompare.php

I'm already discouraged against trying out PS500, and more encouraged towards GS1k and PS1k, lol.  (My poor wallet...)
I don't know why I never checked out their graphs on HR versus SR325.

Rolled of highend, sounds great!

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #883 of 1,221

Would've been nice to see the RS1i in that graph ~ I think it would've been more relevant than let's say either the PS1000 or GS1000 since
the RS1i follows more closely in series and price...just my two cents.

Not to mention Grado price the PS500 and RS1i within a whisker.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #884 of 1,221

Quote:

Would've been nice to see the RS1i in that graph ~ I think it would've been more relevant than let's say either the PS1000 or GS1000 since
the RS1i follows more closely in series and price...just my two cents.

Not to mention Grado price the PS500 and RS1i within a whisker.

RS1i FR is similar to the 325i in the above graph

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #885 of 1,221

Users who are viewing this thread

Back