Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Nov 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #782 of 1,221
^^^

I agree.  All more stupid arguments about build quality.  I want to hear more comparisons between the PS500's and HF2's, RS2i's, MS2i's, etc.  Grado's aren't perfect.  I don't care.  Can we actually talk about something that matters ... like sound quality?

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #783 of 1,221

Quote:
^^^

I agree.  All more stupid arguments about build quality.  I want to hear more comparisons between the PS500's and HF2's, RS2i's, MS2i's, etc.  Grado's aren't perfect.  I don't care.  Can we actually talk about something that matters ... like sound quality?

I'm still trying to figure out how we went from discussing the PS500 to slamming build quality on the PS1000. Let's hope the thread doesn't become further derailed
mad.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #784 of 1,221
Have met PS500 last night, my first impression for build is, wha, it's a unique material, it's kind of metal and plastic blend together, the weight is so similiar to HF2 though. PS500's letter wrote with embos style, so we don't need to worry the words got erased like at HP1000

Compare directly to HF2, I feel HF2 has better build, the embos on PS500 is a bit rough, and HF2's housing looks more solid.

Soundwise (via Burson and WA5), for you who have ever tried HF2, I would say the PS500 is the slightly v-shape of HF2. So PS500 has bigger bass (the biggest bass I ever tried in Grados current line up, never heard PS1000 though), less lower midrange (sometimes I feel HF2's lower mid is too thick, kinda muffled), and more presence treble than HF2. But keep in mind the different is not night and day, it's still like HF2, but with slightly different "style", and oh yeah I also feel the vocal is slightly backward on PS500.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #785 of 1,221

Quote:
Have met PS500 last night, my first impression for build is, wha, it's a unique material, it's kind of metal and plastic blend together, the weight is so similiar to HF2 though. PS500's letter wrote with embos style, so we don't need to worry to erase the words like at HP1000

Compare directly to HF2, I feel HF2 has better build, the embos on PS500 is a bit rough, and HF2's housing looks more solid.

Soundwise (via Burson and WA5), for you who have ever tried HF2, I would say the PS500 is the slightly v-shape of HF2. So PS500 has bigger bass (the biggest bass I ever tried in Grados current line up, never heard PS1000 though), less lower midrange (sometimes I feel HF2's lower mid is too thick, kinda muffled), and more presence treble than HF2. But keep in mind the different is not night and day, it's still like HF2, but with slightly different "style", and oh yeah I also feel the vocal is slightly backward on PS500.

Don't forget punch! These little babies kick like a horse 
k701smile.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #786 of 1,221

Quote:
Have met PS500 last night, my first impression for build is, wha, it's a unique material, it's kind of metal and plastic blend together, the weight is so similiar to HF2 though. PS500's letter wrote with embos style, so we don't need to worry to erase the words like at HP1000

This seems to be what I have been hearing from most reviewers with the addition that the PS500 is a bit more in your face than the reference series due to the spacing. I have not heard the vocals being backwards, can you elaborate?

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #787 of 1,221
Quote:

Maybe you mentioned it and maybe I missed it, but how many hrs do you have on your PS500s?  For example, I thought out-of-the-box, that my HF2's had horrendously overblown bass, but they settled down nicely after about 20 hrs or so.  But they actually have continued to change over hundreds of hours too.  In my case, my HF2's don't sound a heckuva lot different than the RS2i's I have.  They are different, but you can immediately tell that they are both Grado's too, if that makes sense. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #790 of 1,221

Quote:
Anyone know where to buy a case for these in the US- I saw this one but it's uk based
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/grado-headphone-carry-case-prodid-532.html

thanks

JP

you can occasionally find these on eBay but the branding is slightly different on the front. the insides are the same molding. I have one and it works real well. costs 20 bucks.

note that there’s a larger size (on ebay now they’re dubbed ‘medium sized’ and are alessandro branded) that are big enough for GS1000 and G Cush pads.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #791 of 1,221

Quote:

Cool...thanks for this. Based on your comments, I would definitely prefer the HF-2s as I don't want anymore bass/treble....or any less mids for that matter.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #793 of 1,221

Quote:
This seems to be what I have been hearing from most reviewers with the addition that the PS500 is a bit more in your face than the reference series due to the spacing. I have not heard the vocals being backwards, can you elaborate?

Perhaps due the less prominent lower midrange, made male voice slightly more distant

Quote:
Maybe you mentioned it and maybe I missed it, but how many hrs do you have on your PS500s?  For example, I thought out-of-the-box, that my HF2's had horrendously overblown bass, but they settled down nicely after about 20 hrs or so.  But they actually have continued to change over hundreds of hours too.  In my case, my HF2's don't sound a heckuva lot different than the RS2i's I have.  They are different, but you can immediately tell that they are both Grado's too, if that makes sense. 
smile_phones.gif

Umm, I'm not sure about how long it has burned in, it's my friend who has it, but yesterday I spent around 4 hours with it

I don't think it's only on your case, but in most of Grado's case instead, they are different, but only little bit and people will easily know both HF2 and PS500 are Grado. I think PS500 is like the "tweaked version" of HF2.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #794 of 1,221

Users who are viewing this thread

Back