Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Nov 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #811 of 1,221

It reminds me of a long lost review ages ago concerning a guy's review (also from New York) of the GS1000i.

He was a Grado fan but he did not make it explicit whether he used them for mixing or not, regardless of that
 he had access to a studio for the day when a friend strolled in who happened to call playing for the New York
 Philharmonic an actual full time job, as a violinist.

His friend asked about the over-sized wooden headphones and the reviewer told him they were the
 new Grado $1000USD flagship. He laughed, his eyes rolling upwards as he sat down to cup these
 things. He began a small audition, his expression grew serious and after 5 minutes, he took them off.

Standing up he said 'Worth every penny' and walked away.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #812 of 1,221
Good story.  Not surprising as they do string tone so well.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #813 of 1,221
@Gwarmi -  Off topic completely, but,yep, this confirms how I've felt about the GS1000i all along.  Maybe it's an age thing and I'm just going deaf, but I sometimes think there's all of ten of us out there that really like the GS1000i.   Believe me, I try to get down on them (since I could use the cash if ever I sold them -so it would be great to hate 'em as that would make it easy for me to unload 'em) but I have to say, every time I listen to them (and I only listen to them with a headroom ultra micro stack) I just have to wonder if I'm totally missing the point that a lot of folks are making.  Fact is, they are darn sweet cans, at least to my tin ears.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #814 of 1,221

Now if only I could speak Thai..

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #815 of 1,221

Quote:
@Gwarmi -  Off topic completely, but,yep, this confirms how I've felt about the GS1000i all along.  Maybe it's an age thing and I'm just going deaf, but I sometimes think there's all of ten of us out there that really like the GS1000i.   Believe me, I try to get down on them (since I could use the cash if ever I sold them -so it would be great to hate 'em as that would make it easy for me to unload 'em) but I have to say, every time I listen to them (and I only listen to them with a headroom ultra micro stack) I just have to wonder if I'm totally missing the point that a lot of folks are making.  Fact is, they are darn sweet cans, at least to my tin ears.

I like the PS500 alot more than gs1000i. GS1000i sounds grainy and a bit bright in the upper mids. Bass is fairly impactful but a bit loose. 

PS500 just rocks, Grados should all sound like that...

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #817 of 1,221

Quote:

I like the PS500 alot more than gs1000i. GS1000i sounds grainy and a bit bright in the upper mids. Bass is fairly impactful but a bit loose. 

PS500 just rocks, Grados should all sound like that...

Haven't heard the PS500, but apparently its very similar to my HF2 and I agree with your comments...I much prefer my HF-2s over the GS1000s (and PS1000s for that matter).

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #818 of 1,221
What totally shocks me about the PS500 is that it uses a plastic gimbal. It always irked me seeing that on the RS2 at $450+, and on nearly $600 it outright bothers me.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #819 of 1,221

Quote:
What totally shocks me about the PS500 is that it uses a plastic gimbal. It always irked me seeing that on the RS2 at $450+, and on nearly $600 it outright bothers me.

Why...they're Grados after all.
smile.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #820 of 1,221
It's going to sound odd, but the metal gimbal on the RS1 is one of my favorite design elements in headphones, period. 

They remind me of the beautiful vibration reduction mechanism on Neumann microphones:

It's beautiful but functional; riding that awesome line where something happens to be wonderfully elegant while performing its duties perfectly. 

There's just nothing elegant about the plastic gimbal.

Quote:
Why...they're Grados after all.
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #821 of 1,221
Quote:

I couldn't agree more.
They should only use the plastic gimbals with the plastic cups, all of the other headphones in the Grado line would be much better having metal gimbals.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #822 of 1,221

I'm happy with plastic gimbals, sure metal would make me happy but if there is one niggle for me it's
the plastic L and R covers

Would be nice if anything above the Prestige range had metal like the HP1000

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #823 of 1,221
From all I read so far, I dont feel anything but sombre. The guy on the other review were right, they are just some kind of compromise model for those who were awaiting for much creamy sounding Grado.

Well, I dont blame John at all, he is making pretty smart move actually, business I mean, but for me, or would I say, my wallet, its not the happiest conclusion, cos only Grado I may concider at the moment still are PS1000.

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #824 of 1,221

Quote:

Well, I dont blame John at all, he is making pretty smart move actually, business I mean, but for me, or would I say, my wallet, its not the happiest conclusion, cos only Grado I may concider at the moment still are PS1000.

When only the 'King' will do eh? 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back