Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #646 of 1,221
Huh, so I guess some of our initial hunches about the sound after seeing the materials might have been correct. Well, if it is the same old HF2 with only tiny, tiny differences, then I guess we can feel good about owning a currently 600 dollar headphone for around 450 bucks :p

Quote:
All I can say after an hour or so of A/B'ing is that it's gonna take finer ears than mine to pick out any differences. The HF2 sounds a bit more forward by a couple of steps but besides that there's currently nothing that jumps out at me as being noticeably different. And even the difference in forwardness might be due to burn in. The HF2 has been in use for quite awhile compared to a couple of hours for the PS500.

I've always felt that my used B-stock HF2 was very forward and part of that is due to its L cush pads which came to me pre-flattened it seemed. But I have a pair of new L cushes lying around from a pair of MS2s that are currently being Magnumized so I put those on for this comparison.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #648 of 1,221

Quote:
There is no such thing as fact when it comes to who likes what headphones. If you don't like to hear what people think about the headphones then buzz off.

My point being there are ways to say (write) statements that imply it's an opinion, not fact. It would better help readers, especially noobs, to evaluate what they're reading. But some noobs, like you, seem to have a handle on that, you just need to practice civility.

Quote:
If Tyll does measurements then that's objective. All other reviews and impressions are subjective. You've been around long enough, read enough threads and posted enough to know that the vast majority of Head-Fi posts are opinion-based subjectivity. It's your choice to take them with the grain of salt they deserve.

I evaluate what I read, as I'm sure you do. Many I take with a grain of salt, because as you point out I've been around for a while and know better, however many head-fiers haven't the experience you and I have. I'm suggesting it's more helpful to all, especially Noobs, when posting opinion it be made clear it's opinion.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #649 of 1,221

Quote:
With flat pads, PS500 is the smoothest Grado I've ever heard. Beating even MS2i.

These headphones have emphasis on bass, yet the sound is super clear.

Maybe these headphones are very first high-priced Grado that actually worth for money.....

I will continue to compare with rest of Grados I have.

Is the PS500, in your opinion, smoother and more liquidy than your SR100 with HP1000 driver?  Which one is more detailed if you don't mind giving a short initial impression?
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #650 of 1,221

My point being there are ways to say (write) statements that imply it's an opinion, not fact. It would better help readers, especially noobs, to evaluate what they're reading. But some noobs, like you, seem to have a handle on that, you just need to practice civility.

I evaluate what I read, as I'm sure you do. Many I take with a grain of salt, because as you point out I've been around for a while and know better, however many head-fiers haven't the experience you and I have. I'm suggesting it's more helpful to all, especially Noobs, when posting opinion it be made clear it's opinion.

If you've read any of my posts through the years I usually try an qualify my opinions as just that, opinion. I'm not sure how much my opinions are worth but, hey, I'm nore than willing to share them. Lmao

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #651 of 1,221
Well for what it's worth I am going to listen to these for another week, burn them in, and pick 5 or so tracks to AB with the 325is. 

I will tell you for a definite fact that they are in no way shape or form as harsh. I was listening to some Billy Joel - Just the way you are, and one thing that struck me with the whole Stranger album on the 325's was that they just could not handle the roaring sax. It was always a bit shrill and almost painful in some spots. These handle it with aplomb. Saxophones soar into high registers and there is room to spare.

Another definite fact is that they have a lot more room on the bottom end. The first night I had them I said that they lacked the attack that the 325's had but that is not the case. They just go lower, and deeper. Every track I have listened to with a quality bass line there is just more there on the bottom.

Imagining is about the same as far as width but it is definitely more deep. You can also hear the effect the room has on the recording a lot more, for what that is worth. Sustain on just seems to go on and on.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #652 of 1,221

Quote:
Well for what it's worth I am going to listen to these for another week, burn them in, and pick 5 or so tracks to AB with the 325is. 

I will tell you for a definite fact that they are in no way shape or form as harsh. I was listening to some Billy Joel - Just the way you are, and one thing that struck me with the whole Stranger album on the 325's was that they just could not handle the roaring sax. It was always a bit shrill and almost painful in some spots. These handle it with aplomb. Saxophones soar into high registers and there is room to spare.

Another definite fact is that they have a lot more room on the bottom end. The first night I had them I said that they lacked the attack that the 325's had but that is not the case. They just go lower, and deeper. Every track I have listened to with a quality bass line there is just more there on the bottom.

Imagining is about the same as far as width but it is definitely more deep. You can also hear the effect the room has on the recording a lot more, for what that is worth. Sustain on just seems to go on and on.

Thank you.  I'm feeling validated cause it sounds like what I've been hearing.  It took me about 2 hours to get those initial differences straightened out.  Now the can is just getting better.  I don't need to compare anymore.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577145/grado-325is-and-ps500

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #654 of 1,221

Quote:

Know what you mean, can only assume that Billy's mastering has always been that way but it does not seem to favor brightish setups or speakers.

Heard his stuff on a few Hi Fi setups and it can be a little brash at times.

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #655 of 1,221
Sorry for asking this again, as it may not apply to many of you, but how do these sound amp less?  I currently don't have a desk or home office, and use a laptop, so I don't really have an area or need to setup an amp.  I would be playing these out of a macbook air and iPhone 4.  I heard grado's run fine without an amp, but that quality is at say 90% vs 100%.  Can anyone confirm or comment.  Thanks

JP

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #656 of 1,221

Quote:
Sorry for asking this again, as it may not apply to many of you, but how do these sound amp less?  I currently don't have a desk or home office, and use a laptop, so I don't really have an area or need to setup an amp.  I would be playing these out of a macbook air and iPhone 4.  I heard grado's run fine without an amp, but that quality is at say 90% vs 100%.  Can anyone confirm or comment.  Thanks

JP

Let me try something.  I never listen to my PS500's off my mac-mini but I'll try it and let you know.  Frankly, I can't imagine much of a problem, but let me see.  Spoiler alert:  I'm not THAT picky.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #657 of 1,221
In my experience with the RS2, HF2, SR60 and (to a lesser extent) the PS1000, amping on a Grado gives you that last 10%. It’s never been night and day difference. I’ve noticed bass tighten up when amped but that’s the most noticeable change. they’re very efficient.

eat: best amp I’ve hooked the headphones up to is a Burson HA-160

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #658 of 1,221

Quote:

JP

Go with the 325's. Running these straight off a mobile player really kills the imaging and bass. Then again I have the PS audio between the PC and amp. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #659 of 1,221
Now my grado's headphones are RS1i, HF2 and PS500, all with stock pad.  I used them with Centrance DACmini Cx.
(The other headphones I have are LCD2 Rev.2 with Q cable and He6 with Q-cable.)

My PS500 is now more than 100 hrs of usage.
I wanna share my thought about Grados.

RS1i, HF2, PS500 all are different, I used them with different music.

The strong point of PS500 are
- The width of soundstage; PS500 has the widest soundstage, more than HF2 (which is better than RS1i).  I feel listen music in the open room, very easy on my ear.
- Treble; PS500 is smoother than RS1i and HF2, but I can hear more ambience from HF2 (RS1i is the worst to ambience hearing).
- Mid; PS500 has the biggest sound image.
- Bass; PS500 has the best bass (like Grodo77 said, feel like adding subwoofer), I can hear bass note very clear and loud.  PS500 bass is as good as LCD2 but with a little less 3D feel than LCD2.
- Sound separation; PS500 is better than HF2 and RS1i.

The weak point of PS500
- The depth of soundstage; HF2 is better than PS500.
- Microdetail; PS500 has less microdetail than RS1i but comparable to HF2.
- The mid of RS1i is sweeter than PS500

RS1i has the best details, sweetest mid.  I love RS1i with female singers, wood wind instruments.
HF2 has more attack in upper mid and bass region, so HF2 hear more attack with Drum, Percussion instruments. And I love HF2 for Rock.
PS500 is the best in movies watching, songs with a lot of bass passage.

All Grado's headphones let me hear the whole music, let me understand how each instruments plays well together.  I just let the music touch my heart.

I like them all.

Hope my opinions help.
Chirawat

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #660 of 1,221

Something wrong with these PS500.

Quote:
Now my grado's headphones are RS1i, HF2 and PS500, all with stock pad.  I used them with Centrance DACmini Cx.
(The other headphones I have are LCD2 Rev.2 with Q cable and He6 with Q-cable.)

My PS500 is now more than 100 hrs of usage.
I wanna share my thought about Grados.

RS1i, HF2, PS500 all are different, I used them with different music.

The strong point of PS500 are
- The width of soundstage; PS500 has the widest soundstage, more than HF2 (which is better than RS1i).  I feel listen music in the open room, very easy on my ear.
- Treble; PS500 is smoother than RS1i and HF2, but I can hear more ambience from HF2 (RS1i is the worst to ambience hearing).
- Mid; PS500 has the biggest sound image.
- Bass; PS500 has the best bass (like Grodo77 said, feel like adding subwoofer), I can hear bass note very clear and loud.  PS500 bass is as good as LCD2 but with a little less 3D feel than LCD2.
- Sound separation; PS500 is better than HF2 and RS1i.

The weak point of PS500
- The depth of soundstage; HF2 is better than PS500.
- Microdetail; PS500 has less microdetail than RS1i but comparable to HF2.
- The mid of RS1i is sweeter than PS500

RS1i has the best details, sweetest mid.  I love RS1i with female singers, wood wind instruments.
HF2 has more attack in upper mid and bass region, so HF2 hear more attack with Drum, Percussion instruments. And I love HF2 for Rock.
PS500 is the best in movies watching, songs with a lot of bass passage.

All Grado's headphones let me hear the whole music, let me understand how each instruments plays well together.  I just let the music touch my heart.

I like them all.

Hope my opinions help.
Chirawat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back