Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #661 of 1,221
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #666 of 1,221

Quote:
great, another owner...............what is the issue with your pair?

Pardon me for butting in, but, I have NO issues with my pair.  Loving them.
gs1000.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #668 of 1,221
It's been a while since I've heard the HF-2 and I vaguely remembered how it sounded. However, I do know that I've never really enjoyed its sound signature. Maybe it's my system or the amp I was pairing it with but the bass was kind of bloated and the highs weren't clean or smooth either.

I had the chance of auditioning the PS500 today for half an hour and was pleasantly suprised at how well it sounded.
Examining the pair I was auditioning and it looked alright but the powdered coating of the cups didn't appeal to me. The coating gave it a cheap look that resembles some metallic products you import from China. I would much prefer the brushed aluminum of the MS-2s. Take my quick impressions with a grain of salt as I didn't bring my own music/gear and auditioned them through their denon cd player.

The feel of the sound has got this HF-2 flavour mixed with a little bit of the RS-1 flavour to it. Sound quality in general is a step up from the HF-2 for sure. I have to agree with some of the posters that it's a very smooth sounding pair of headphones. None of the music I listened to showed any signs of sibilance, which is a huge plus for me as I really disliked the hot treble of the PS1000s. Soundstage is just as wide as the the RS-1 if not wider but there's less depth than the RS-1s. I also feel there's this slight enjoyable hollow characteristic to it that is similar to the RS-1s. Mids are smooth with a tiny bit of warmth but not as sweet and involving as my HP1000s and less warm than the RS-1s. The highs has less sparkle than the RS-1s. It's almost rolled off like my HP1000s which I don't really mind as that helps with recordings of lesser qualities. The real strength of these headphones lies within the bass it produces. The PS500 produces wonderful full bodied defined bass with adequate amount of slam without overwhelming the rest of the frequences. From my limited listening session, it's hard to say whether it hits harder than the RS-1s but I feel it's somewhat comparable.

All in all, I had a terrific time listening to the PS500s and am glad I didn't pass on the opportunity to give them a shot.  Unlike last time with the PS1000, kudos to Grado for doing something right this time with the creation of the PS500s.  I might just pull the trigger on this one.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #670 of 1,221
For me, the bass is boosted around 80-130 hz approximately, which I could tell instantly when I put them on. I reduced that area slightly in Foobar and then everything was very, very good. Smooth highs, and even some audible/feelable bass down to 15 hz.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #671 of 1,221
Anyone care to comment on those lower bass registers between the PS500 and the GS1000i?

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #672 of 1,221

Quote:
Any new PS500 owners who happen to own the HF-2s (at the same time) for a comparative review?

X2

The HF-2 (or at least my pair) has a wider diameter wood housing around the driver, which stretched the bowl pads and made them flatter than bowls normally are on other Grados (ex RS-1, SR325). I found the sound a bit cloudy and subsequently modded a pair of bowls (widening the inside area with a razor blade) so the bowls would keep their original shape. This made the sound more open and clear.

I wonder if someone can show a pic of the HF-2 and PS500 driver housings.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #673 of 1,221
Excellent review, thank you!

Quote:
It's been a while since I've heard the HF-2 and I vaguely remembered how it sounded. However, I do know that I've never really enjoyed its sound signature. Maybe it's my system or the amp I was pairing it with but the bass was kind of bloated and the highs weren't clean or smooth either.

I had the chance of auditioning the PS500 today for half an hour and was pleasantly suprised at how well it sounded.
Examining the pair I was auditioning and it looked alright but the powdered coating of the cups didn't appeal to me. The coating gave it a cheap look that resembles some metallic products you import from China. I would much prefer the brushed aluminum of the MS-2s. Take my quick impressions with a grain of salt as I didn't bring my own music/gear and auditioned them through their denon cd player.

The feel of the sound has got this HF-2 flavour mixed with a little bit of the RS-1 flavour to it. Sound quality in general is a step up from the HF-2 for sure. I have to agree with some of the posters that it's a very smooth sounding pair of headphones. None of the music I listened to showed any signs of sibilance, which is a huge plus for me as I really disliked the hot treble of the PS1000s. Soundstage is just as wide as the the RS-1 if not wider but there's less depth than the RS-1s. I also feel there's this slight enjoyable hollow characteristic to it that is similar to the RS-1s. Mids are smooth with a tiny bit of warmth but not as sweet and involving as my HP1000s and less warm than the RS-1s. The highs has less sparkle than the RS-1s. It's almost rolled off like my HP1000s which I don't really mind as that helps with recordings of lesser qualities. The real strength of these headphones lies within the bass it produces. The PS500 produces wonderful full bodied defined bass with adequate amount of slam without overwhelming the rest of the frequences. From my limited listening session, it's hard to say whether it hits harder than the RS-1s but I feel it's somewhat comparable.

All in all, I had a terrific time listening to the PS500s and am glad I didn't pass on the opportunity to give them a shot.  Unlike last time with the PS1000, kudos to Grado for doing something right this time with the creation of the PS500s.  I might just pull the trigger on this one.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #674 of 1,221

Quote:

X2

The HF-2 (or at least my pair) has a wider diameter wood housing around the driver, which stretched the bowl pads and made them flatter than bowls normally are on other Grados (ex RS-1, SR325). I found the sound a bit cloudy and subsequently modded a pair of bowls (widening the inside area with a razor blade) so the bowls would keep their original shape. This made the sound more open and clear.

I wonder if someone can show a pic of the HF-2 and PS500 driver housings.

I, like you, am interested in a true A-B analysis. Audible memory being what it is (at least for me), it can be quite hard to remember how something sounded. If the PS500s are brighter than the HF-2s (like the RS1s), then I'm quite happy with my HF-2s....don't think I can go back to that level of brightness.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #675 of 1,221

Quote:
I, like you, am interested in a true A-B analysis. Audible memory being what it is (at least for me), it can be quite hard to remember how something sounded. If the PS500s are brighter than the HF-2s (like the RS1s), then I'm quite happy with my HF-2s....don't think I can go back to that level of brightness.

If the bass of the PS500 is more present than the RS-1, it would probably "mask" any excessive top end. I find the treble of the HF-2 sounds a bit "reined in", not as open as the RS-1 (or 325i). Yet the HF-2 is less bright and sibilant than either of those. So there's a bit of a trade-off. I think Grado has taken his driver about as far as it can go. For a new sound, a totally new driver design (not a series of tweaks) will be required, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back