Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #691 of 1,221

Quote:

I thought you loved your RS1s? You didn't have the HF2's for the longest time?

I still do love the RS1s (though I've sold them off to fund other purchases). Then 6 months passed and I found myself missing the Grado sound from time to time, so I jumped on a local sale for the HF-2s....both are great, but I do have a slight preference to the less edgy HF-2s (owned them for about 6 weeks now, so I'm pretty familiar with them now).

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #692 of 1,221

Quote:
An with that post looks like my mind has been made up. I'm more then likely going to pull the trigger on the PS500's next summer. Thanks a lot for your input and my wallet curses you for making it poor again. I live in Canada and I hope the mark up here on the PS500's isn't as outrageous as it is with some of the other Grado's. These new cans are going to be the most expensive headphones I've ever bought in my life.
blink.gif
On the plus side at least I have all winter to save up.

Save yourself some cash and convert one of your Grado SR-xxi with this: 

and it's from Canada Symphones Magnum drivers & Chamber.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #693 of 1,221

Quote:
Save yourself some cash and convert one of your Grado SR-xxi with this: 

and it's from Canada Symphones Magnum drivers & Chamber.

I've actually given that some thought. From what I've heard Raydon has a pretty good reputation on Head-Fi and me being Canadian shipping costs would probably be next to nothing as well as wait time. Hmmmmm decisions decisions.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #694 of 1,221
Let's hope PS500 doesn't suffer the same quality control problem of PS1000. 
Has anyone try them with Salad bowls yet?

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #695 of 1,221
Salad bowls expand the sound stage a bit, but at the expense of over all impact and sound in general. In my opinion they defeat the purpose of getting a Grado (sound) to begin with.
They came off in about 5 minutes. Not even close. These cans sound right (very well balanced with impact) with stock pads.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #696 of 1,221

Quote:

I use G-Cush's with my Grados for two reasons, comfort and soundstage.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #697 of 1,221

I liked the jumbo pads on the HF2. I liked the expended soundstage and felt it balanced out the can a bit from it's thumpy bass. I actually preferred them to the bowl pads. If the PS500 is very similar (an HF2 clone?) then I would likely prefer them with the jumbos also.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #699 of 1,221

Quote:
Same company, same people, so, I dont expect to much of a difference. Lets wait a while...

Couldn't wait, great sound, no issues.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #701 of 1,221
I think Blackmore is more or less saying - the problem with the PS500 is that it's another shade of 'Grado vanilla' flavor
in a new tub.

Different model name, different look, pretty much the same sound we all know but wrapped up in a new wrapper.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #703 of 1,221
Amen to that fellow Grado cult member to the house of John Grado 
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #705 of 1,221

Quote:
I think Blackmore is more or less saying - the problem with the PS500 is that it's another shade of 'Grado vanilla' flavor
in a new tub.

Different model name, different look, pretty much the same sound we all know but wrapped up in a new wrapper.

Actually, my take on what Blackmore meant is that the PS500 is made by the same people who made the PS1000, and thus the build quality would be the same in all likelihood (ie. not very good). That's what I gather was meant by "quality control problems."

It's actually one of my biggest complaints about Grado. To say "it's got some nicks and dents and misaligned grills" for a pair of headphones that cost almost $2000 just seems ridiculous to me. And I'm pretty ridiculous when it comes to what I'm willing to pay for some of these things. What bugs me the most though is that Grado uses many of the exact same materials on their $1000+ headphones as they do their sub-$200 headphones. Same foam. Same plastic. Sam glue holding it together. The pictures that were published of their workshops only made me less confident of their quality control.

That said, I'll be trying a pair of the PS500s this weekend. I'm especially curious to hear how they couple with my various amps. I can tolerate minor quality control issues at their price point. I'm just not willing to abide their older sibling, the PS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back