Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Sep 13, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #197 of 1,221

Quote:
Remind me old PS1. Any words on release date?

Release date here in Singapore according to the dealer is in about 3-4 weeks time.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #198 of 1,221
I know you must know this but, haters will always be with us, and not just headphones. 
frown.gif

Have you seen the HD-800 announcement thread?

This is something of a tradition around here. :D

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #201 of 1,221
I love my RS2, but more so on a sentimental level.  To this day, I'm still baffled with the multiple models amongst the Prestige line.  The RS and PS and throw in the GS makes sense.  Now the PS500 that seems to be the evil/good twin of the HF2.  I was hoping John would bring back some of his Uncle's signature sound (HP series and drivers) at a much more affordable levels.  I guess that's what the Magnum is for, I guess - damn, I regress.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #202 of 1,221
Regarding the chrome finish, I emailed Grado back in June and this was their reply:

[size=10pt]Hi Nick

there was a production run of SR325is that was done in Chrome.

currently that is not the case
[/size]

[size=10pt]Happy Listening[/size]
[size=10pt]Grado Labs[/size]
[size=10pt]4614 7th Ave[/size]
[size=10pt]Brooklyn NY 11220[/size]
[size=10pt]718-435-5340 [/size]

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #204 of 1,221
I can personally say from experience that the Grados sound EXTREMELY different, I did a blind test between the sr 60,80,and 125 I at the store, same song, same set up. the 60's were kind of muddy, the 80's are ear blisteringly harsh,, and the 125is are worse. Then a test between the 225i,325is,rs2,and rs1 the same way. the 225i's are still as sharp if nor more then the 125i's but with a softer mid range and more bass, the 325i's were like candy, I thought it was the rs2 as I just had my friend put random ones on my head, the RS2's were and improvement on the entire sound of the 325is but still with in the same range, with the RS1 i heard almost exactly the same thing I heard with the rs2, a little more airy sounding and open but I think that just the chamber. For people who say all Grados sound the same you have CLEARLY never tested that theory, I have some one who can attest to this as well, a few people actually.

I also don't see why haters are getting so bent out of shape, you don't like them fine, don't buy them.

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #206 of 1,221
Here's Moon Audio's ad copy on AudiogoN:

Come one. Come all. It has been hard as hell keeping
this one under tight lips, but I can finally spit it out:) I
was lucky enough to visit Grado Labs this summer to
take a look at the new PS 500 headphone and listen
to it briefly. It is very similar to the PS-1 we loved so
much. I have not had a chance to compare it to my
PS-1 yet, but you are guaranteed to hear my
thoughts once I do. It uses the same wooden inner
cup like the PS1000/HF1/HF2. It will have the new
finish that the SR325is has. Not the Chrome or Satin
Silver of the PS1000 but a powder coated in grey
finish. No specs as of yet but obviously it will have
similiar specs to all the other Grado phones. I will
take better pictures once they arrive in the shop but
for now this is all I have.
Positive Feedback Review here: http://www.positive-
feedback.com/Issue57/grado.htm
Free 2nd day UPS included.
“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”… Grado
Labs takes “IP” learned from the development of the
State of the Art PS1000 and has applied it to a form
factor that is compact resulting in the PS500. The
PS500 creates an articulate and dynamic musical
presentation that will put a smile on the most
demanding sound professionals and music
enthusiasts.
Vented diaphragm
Hybrid air chamber Wood insert with aluminum cup
UHPLC copper voice coil wire
UHPLC copper connecting cord
Tranducer type:dynamic
Operating principle: open air
Frequency Response: 14-29
SPL 1mW: 98
Normal Impedance: 32ohms
Driver matched db:.05

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #207 of 1,221

Quote:
Have you seen the HD-800 announcement thread?

This is something of a tradition around here.
biggrin.gif

I still remember one guy (claimed he is a designer) whining about 'silver plastic' of HD800.

The most ridiculous moments/comments I've ever encountered in this forum.

It is very fortunate that there are still companies are not following 'blings over substances'.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #208 of 1,221

Quote:
I can personally say from experience that the Grados sound EXTREMELY different, I did a blind test between the sr 60,80,and 125 I at the store, same song, same set up. the 60's were kind of muddy, the 80's are ear blisteringly harsh,, and the 125is are worse. Then a test between the 225i,325is,rs2,and rs1 the same way. the 225i's are still as sharp if nor more then the 125i's but with a softer mid range and more bass, the 325i's were like candy, I thought it was the rs2 as I just had my friend put random ones on my head, the RS2's were and improvement on the entire sound of the 325is but still with in the same range, with the RS1 i heard almost exactly the same thing I heard with the rs2, a little more airy sounding and open but I think that just the chamber. For people who say all Grados sound the same you have CLEARLY never tested that theory, I have some one who can attest to this as well, a few people actually.

I also don't see why haters are getting so bent out of shape, you don't like them fine, don't buy them.

I agree.  I've heard every Grado model except the RS2 (just haven't run into one), and IMO there is definitely variance.  Also, as with any higher end headphone, synergy with the amp and/or source makes a big difference.

I do believe that Grado shares the same driver among multiple models though, and the difference in sound between similar models is the rest of the design, (as well as "cherry picking" for the best drivers).  Anyone who's tried to mod a headphone or transplant a driver knows that the driver is only half of what determines the sound.

Also, this is very common among headphone manufacturers, so it's not something to get bent out of shape over.  For example, the Sennheiser PX100 and HD485 are the same driver (one portable frame and one full size).  I believe the PX200 also has a full size cousin.  The HD590 and HD600 are the same driver.  I would bet if you took apart the whole Sennheiser line, you'd find that they use half a dozen driver designs over a couple of dozen headphone models.  (The HD800 driver isn't used anywhere else that I know of though.  That would result in cannabalism of their highest end piece.)

The short version is, that Grado designs headphones much like every other company in the market, and like most other companies they have their house sound.  If you (the community you) like it, you like it.  If you don't you don't.  But getting upset over it is a waste of blood pressure pills.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #209 of 1,221

Quote:
Quote:
I think he bought the 80 first, then the 325 later, and when he found out the 325 has plastic inside the cups, he hated the company ever since.

you know, I have guilt feelings. I encourage him to put a wooden liner in the SR235, and he notice the plastic when he open the cups... 
blink.gif

It's not like that was a secret was it. That ring was one of the mods talked about in the mod thread that netted improvements when removed. Same thing with liberating the plastic driver housing and replacing it with a wood one, making it more like an HF2. One of the things that was gleaned in that thread was, the higher up the Grado chain you go,  the better the drivers get. A 60 versus a 225 are 2 different animals.

I think I'm done though. Keeping my HF2, witing for my SR60 and T50 to get back from Tyll, and will at some point rewoody and reassemble my 225. All future investments will be in the collection of music...I hope.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #210 of 1,221
 I am so pumped..... i really want to get these..... Daymn they're sexy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back