Grado Ps500 vs more popular headphones?
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 45
Im also considering purchasing new grado headphones (I currently own sr80i's) and they are great! I would like to try the rs2i,ps500,rs1i. Out of all of these models through experience can someone guide me wich one I would appreacite being that I really like the sound of my 80's. I will demo all of these phones before I purchase one of them because these are my own ears with my own taste , but wouldnt mind hearing some opinions. Thanks. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 45
By the way i'll only be purchasing one of these models. Was also going to power them with a sony cdp-c701es transport,meridian203 and the bellari ha540. Any comments on this setup in reference to a particular model of grado's. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:
Im also considering purchasing new grado headphones (I currently own sr80i's) and they are great! I would like to try the rs2i,ps500,rs1i. Out of all of these models through experience can someone guide me wich one I would appreacite being that I really like the sound of my 80's. I will demo all of these phones before I purchase one of them because these are my own ears with my own taste , but wouldnt mind hearing some opinions. Thanks. 

The PS500 have a more bass oriented sound with a slightly rolled off treble,the RS1s have a forward sound signature,and in my opinion,sound the closest to the SR80s.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:
I appreciate the replies, I still dont know if the ps500s can compete against he-300 or srh1840 for example because grado seems to be a bit overhyped sometimes so i dont really know still, i want to get the best sound and it worries me.

Don't know about the Shures but I DO know the PS500 kicks HE-300 butt.  Yeah, you get a "little" more deep bass from the 300, everything else is better on the 500.  I know.  I owned both of them at the same time.  YMMV.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Deej thought the HE-500 were "pretty amazing" in his excellent post above, but still preferred the PS-500, so I would guess that they can "compete" against the HE-300. What does the "best sound" mean to you? How will you know it when you hear it? 

Good luck! 

I was the exception, because I did not find the HE-500 "pretty amazing" compared to any of my other phones... and... I prefer the PS-500's by far over the HE-500's.  You can find my comments in the HE-500 thread - but, in sum... I find Grado's have much greater clarity, and are much closer to the sound of "real live music."

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 45
Hi,

I see this is quite an old post, but if it helps any, I'd say that the Grado PS500s are easily compatible to higher priced headphones. I own them alongside the T1 and after initially being blown away by the Beyer headphone, I've now started to reach for the Grado more and more often. They're so smooth and easy to listen to. Not a hint of the brightness usually associated with Grado and pretty good all-rounders. I've not heard anything by HIfiman so I couldn't say how they compare, but if you're in the market for a high end headphone at a mid-fi price point, without having to splash out on expensive amplifiers, I'd recommend the PS500 over pretty much everything I've heard.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:
Hi,

I see this is quite an old post, but if it helps any, I'd say that the Grado PS500s are easily compatible to higher priced headphones. I own them alongside the T1 and after initially being blown away by the Beyer headphone, I've now started to reach for the Grado more and more often. They're so smooth and easy to listen to. Not a hint of the brightness usually associated with Grado and pretty good all-rounders. I've not heard anything by HIfiman so I couldn't say how they compare, but if you're in the market for a high end headphone at a mid-fi price point, without having to splash out on expensive amplifiers, I'd recommend the PS500 over pretty much everything I've heard.

I agree, i see the PS500 and the SR80i, as some of the best buys out there.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:
I'd like to hear the PS1000 just to see how they compare.

I think that the PS1000 are the best headphones that Grado has made so far.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 45
They ought to be at that price lol. I've heard the 325s and the PS500s. I liked the 325s but didn't love them. I was on the verge of selling the PS500s before they burned in properly and I'm so glad now that I reconsidered. I'll never own the PS1000 but I'd be amazed if they were significantly better than the PS500.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:
They ought to be at that price lol. I've heard the 325s and the PS500s. I liked the 325s but didn't love them. I was on the verge of selling the PS500s before they burned in properly and I'm so glad now that I reconsidered. I'll never own the PS1000 but I'd be amazed if they were significantly better than the PS500.

I have owned the PS500, and as good as they are, i don't regret buying the PS1000 for one second. even at that price
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #28 of 45
I have the hd650s and I love the smooth sound, but I wanted a bit more clarity and punch. I just received the ps500s yesterday and they definitely deliver. The soundstage is smaller than the senn, but I find the grados are a better all arounder for many types of music. With the senns, I've found myself listening to music I don't normally listen to mostly because it compliments the headphones so well.

My dilemma is that I most likely can't keep both. I like both, so it's a though choice. Is there a headphone out there that falls in between the two sounds? He-400 maybe?

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #30 of 45
I just discovered this thread. I have owned the PS500's, RS1i's, HE500's and Denon 7000's for over a year. I am truly sick enough that I bought the PS1000's this past January. I recently wrote that
I usually reach for the RS1i's, but that is because they  are a little more comfortable.
The PS500's are excellent, and with a tubed amp such as my Bottlehead Smack, they are quite revealing! I plug in the PS1000's to hear a full display of every note, still fully musical, not 'hifi'...
The PS500's do give 2/3 the performance for 1/3 the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back