Grado PS1000 Owner's List
Nov 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #76 of 107
Thanks for the info,I've just been playing music and changing cushions.The cushions from my 325i's are about 2mm thicker than the PS500 ones and the upper frequencies are lifted but at the cost of bass its quite a change.I feel that what I need is the bass of the PS500 with a lift in the high frequencies maybe not as much as the G cushions give, don't know if that's possible to achieve?
I wonder why they changed the cushions from the 325i to the PS500 the accessory lists suggest they are the same but the one's I have change the sound signature quite a bit.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #77 of 107
Well... I'm not sure I would say their sound is that much better than the RS-1's, or the PS500's.  

If you find them at a big discount... maybe... but, otherwise... probably not.  

They have a bigger soundstage, and a bit more prominent and refined highs... but... at a pretty high premium.

I've tried the G Cushions (Stadium Pads - I think) on the PS500's and they do seem to balance the sound a bit better and add soundstage - probably worth the cost.  Though, the bass may be reduced a bit - not enough to make much difference.  

They all sound so good... it's difficult for me to identify a favorite.

And... the amp... makes a big difference.  Interestingly enough... I think I found the MF X-Can v8 may have sounded the best with them.   

I got my PS1000's for €1000. I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #80 of 107
  I just got a pair of ps1000, #4033

wow they run in the 4000s now?

congrats! Personally i don't think it gets much better than this. :D

mine's in repair right now, one of the gimbals of mine got loose from the rod. well, it was a demo model, and one from the original first batch, so that happens...

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #81 of 107
thanks guys :)

Yeah, I do worry an itty bit about my gimbals and rods, but thats only because I love these headphones so much, thought about carving my own, but wound up wanting something even tougher than that so I'm gonna try some of martins polished aluminum ones (he's been very highly recommended).  Although truth be told, they seem like they would hold up for years just fine the way they are now, but I plan on having them for many more years than past that :wink:

Anyways, thanks again for the welcome, I will be sure to enjoy them

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #82 of 107
Hi~ new guys in the club 
gs1000.gif

finally my dream headphone! mine is #4025, upgraded from Grado SR225i

bought it from e-earphone japan, they call it Grado PS1000 Version 2011, i assume its the chrome ver~  bought it for 135,000yen (1308 USD) only, but now i checked its 174800yen (1695 USD) 
eek.gif

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e-earphone/item/ps1000/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

from the chart in the website below [sorry, its in japanese]

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000060546/pricehistory/

looks like on the 26th February they increased the price, luckily i bought it lil bit early

anyway now waiting for the Graham Slee Ultra Linear Diamond Edition Amp to pair up with the PS1000, and need to save up for a good DAC, any recommendation? ehehe

loves the PS1000 so much! 

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #83 of 107
Congratulations :)

That amp is said to be one of the best for the ps1000, glad you are enjoying them. I wish I could give you some advice on dacs but they are very subjective on personal taste. I use the schiit gungnir, which does everything I need it to, and is upgradeable, but I don't know if it would be the best pairing, and it lacks a lot of features that everyone wants like dsd.

I will say don't worry too much if the bass is a little loose and boomy, as it tightens up very nicely after about 100 hours of use.

Anyways, hope you enjoy and let us know your impressions :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #84 of 107
Congratulations :)

That amp is said to be one of the best for the ps1000, glad you are enjoying them. I wish I could give you some advice on dacs but they are very subjective on personal taste. I use the schiit gungnir, which does everything I need it to, and is upgradeable, but I don't know if it would be the best pairing, and it lacks a lot of features that everyone wants like dsd.

I will say don't worry too much if the bass is a little loose and boomy, as it tightens up very nicely after about 100 hours of use.

Anyways, hope you enjoy and let us know your impressions :)

thanks! :D 

yeah, i read lots of review and many were said the Graham ULDE is made for PS1000, thats why i bought it, eventhough i didnt get any chance to audition it (quite hard to audition head-fi gear in my place - Malaysia), i put my trust on all the reviews, even the Grado PS1000, i didnt audition b4 bought it, but when i rcvd the headphone leave it for few days (pair up with FiiO e17 + e09k combo), and i can say im glad i bought it! cant wait to listen with the graham ULDE~

for the DAC currently do lots of reading and ask for opinion from ppl, still didnt decide which DAC to buy, schiit looks great! havent got the chance to audition it, but do read lots of their review :wink: and i see the Graham Slee Majestic DAC, just released in Febuary if i not mistaken, still not much review bout it but might be the best to pair with the PS1k + ULDE... it just that the price for the DAC is....... 
blink.gif

currently enjoy the PS1k so much! can say that its totally worth it with great soundstage and i may just stick with it, for me its totally big diff  & upgrade cuz previously i use AKG K518DJ > audio technica PRO 700 > Grado RS225i, when i listen to PS1000 its totally new level of sound and makes me into the audio nirvana :p

im still new in this audiophile world, so cant really say in detail with all the audio terms and etc, but hope to learn more in head-fi!

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #85 of 107
Well, you have more experience than I did when I got started :wink:

I'm an HVAC and refrigeration technician, and while on a job I met a customer that let me listen to his HD800 and PS1000's and was immediately impressed with the PS1000.  The HD800 were great for their extremely large soundstage, however, I didnt perceive them as being good for actually listening to music.  Though, I will admit that I didnt get a good listening session (2 songs per headphone).  The PS1000 though, while definitely not the top in any one category seems to hit all the buttons with me, not quite a wall of sound but close enough for that massive detail feel, strong bass that was not overpowering (unless the song calls for it), and really fun sound.

I saved up and got my own, and it's definitely my favorite headphone.  I've only gotten to compare it to a few other headphones though, the closest I've heard for me was the he500, and if I hadnt been able to save up enough for the PS1000 than I definitely could've been happy with the he500, especially for the price difference.  But I will say my PS1000 will probably outlast the he500 by about 40 years, will probably be passed down to my grandchildren :)  The akg k702 anniversaries sounded ok, just not in the same league.  Great positioning and soundstage for the price, but the music just sounded off.

It doesnt seem like the PS1000 is much cared for here, though I could be wrong, but there are a tremendous amount of great headphones (some significantly cheaper) out now and I think in part due to the price tag of the PS1000, and the fact that it has a unique sound that is different than most others (even other Grado's), that its not much liked or used.

But like everyone says, its all about personal enjoyment, and for me the PS1000 is a masterpiece :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #86 of 107
and dac's do tend to be expensive, though there are some great values out there too.  The thing to remember though, is that other than headphones, the dac is really the next most influential piece in determining how the music sounds.

I've heard it said that headphones>dac>source>amp   

Some people argue that the source affects music quality more than the dac, but from personal experience, I found that different dacs make very large and noticeable changes, way more so than the amp and source.

So, definitely if you can listen to them first, do so.  Especially if you can listen to it from your headphones. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #87 of 107
I use april music stello U3 with AES output to my Wyred4sound DAC2. Amp is RudiStor NX-03. I'm currently very satisfy with the sound. PS1000 doesn't require a beastly high power amp. Driving it with an overpower amp simply change the sound rather than improve the sound. Synergy is important here.

I very much agree that the DAC matters more than the amp in high end headphone audio. As long as your headphone amp has adequate power, upgrading the DAC will give you better performance.

The PS1000 doesn't get much attention not only due the the price, it's also due to the nature of high-end audio being too focus on neutrality, and linear response. Material/price ratio. Frankly, I think the word "professional series" is misleading because I will never consider the PS1000 a good can for mixing due to it's very roll off bass and U shape frequency response. What I want to say is the word "professional" makes consumer evaluate the PS1000 from an incorrect perspective. PS1000 is meant for listening only IMO.

Recently I have acquire a Beyer T1. While it gives me all that neutrality, linear response, and bass extension. PS1000 is still always in my head. Every now and than when I listen to a song I like, the PS1000 will come to mind. "What if I just take the enjoyment to a different level?" I ask myself. Puting on the PS1000 again and oh yeah. The openness and forwardness. The enhances timbre!

I don't recommend using a silver plated cable(there must be some good ones out there though) and silver plated connectors fitted cables for PS1000. I find it makes the accentuated treble hash and cymbals also becomes unnatural. The treble on the PS1000 is very hard to control as oppose to T1. BTW I think T1 is a very forgiving headphone, sound good very with everything except I dislike it's laid-back mid range. Which to a PS1000 user is quite a let down.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #88 of 107
The PS1000 doesn't get much attention not only due the the price, it's also due to the nature of high-end audio being too focus on neutrality, and linear response. Material/price ratio. Frankly, I think the word "professional series" is misleading because I will never consider the PS1000 a good can for mixing due to it's very roll off bass and U shape frequency response. What I want to say is the word "professional" makes consumer evaluate the PS1000 from an incorrect perspective. PS1000 is meant for listening only IMO

I don't recommend using a silver plated cable(there must be some good ones out there though) and silver plated connectors fitted cables for PS1000. I find it makes the accentuated treble hash and cymbals also becomes unnatural. The treble on the PS1000 is very hard to control as oppose to T1. BTW I think T1 is a very forgiving headphone, sound good very with everything except I dislike it's laid-back mid range. Which to a PS1000 user is quite a let down.

That makes a lot of sense, and is probably the best reason that I have heard.

And it's good to know that about silver cables. Question though, would silver coated cables from the dac to the amp also produce this effect? Or just do you think just from the headphone cable if it were replaced with a silver coated.

and thanks for the setup information :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #89 of 107
I was referring to the cable between DAC and amp (interconnect cable). I have not change the cables on the PS1000, but I don't think using anything silver for the headphone cable is a good idea. There are exception for my experience though. Although the difference is minimal, I find silver digital cables(USB, AES) to be quite smooth sounding. Also some cables use silver and copper wires in separate jacket rather than silver plated. These silver copper twisted cables are generally quite expensive but I find it far better choice than silver plated copper. Power cord affects the sound of the amp even more so than interconnect. A darker background, and more dynamics are easily improved by changing your stock power cord to audio grade power cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back