Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Feb 5, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #107 of 722

I'm going to get some medipore this afternoon, build tomorrow (if my cups arrive) and try it out. Thanks for sharing!

i it was branded "nexcare" but it's marked 3m medipore on the inside of the roll
they also make a micropore, and transpore, all varying degrees of thickness, but all breathable

the micropore is on the left there, medipore right, i already had these on hand, 
someone on the magnum thread uses the transpore i looked for some at the local walgreen's but they didn't have the it
i'll thry them all at some point, and see what , if any difference there is between them all

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #109 of 722
  i it was branded "nexcare" but it's marked 3m medipore on the inside of the roll
they also make a micropore, and transpore, all varying degrees of thickness, but all breathable

the micropore is on the left there, medipore right, i already had these on hand, 
someone on the magnum thread uses the transpore i looked for some at the local walgreen's but they didn't have the it
i'll thry them all at some point, and see what , if any difference there is between them all

Nice...good idea...I keep wondering how the adhesive side affects sound though. Been tempted to mutilate a pair of the wife's old stockings, but not sure how to attache the fabric. Got a few ideas though. What's the weekend for anyway?

Got the cups, going to build!

Looking good :)...post more pics of the cups! What wood did they use?

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #110 of 722

Nice...good idea...I keep wondering how the adhesive side affects sound though. Been tempted to mutilate a pair of the wife's old stockings, but not sure how to attache the fabric. Got a few ideas though. What's the weekend for anyway?

Hahaha, as you wish! I struggled to get hold of limba so I got maple, rosewood and cherry. I got two pairs of maple cut to compare the ypsilon and v6 to each other.
I followed some of midrange's thinking when I drew it up, but made the bulge on top smaller than standard cups. Will see what that does to the sound.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #111 of 722

the adhesive on on both tapes is pretty light, it doesn't leave a residue on the skin
as for sound, i haven't had them on long, and after i put the tape on both sides
it occured to me to do one side at the time.
so far, i can't definitively if it effects the sound at all 

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #112 of 722

Hahaha, as you wish! I struggled to get hold of limba so I got maple, rosewood and cherry. I got two pairs of maple cut to compare the ypsilon and v6 to each other.
I followed some of midrange's thinking when I drew it up, but made the bulge on top smaller than standard cups. Will see what that does to the sound.

Nicely done! Your guy knows his stuff. From the "Great Tonewood Experiment" I am guessing you'll like Cherry best, but as they say "...its all in your head".

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #113 of 722

Hahaha, as you wish! I struggled to get hold of limba so I got maple, rosewood and cherry. 

But they all look to be the same color. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #114 of 722
  the adhesive on on both tapes is pretty light, it doesn't leave a residue on the skin
as for sound, i haven't had them on long, and after i put the tape on both sides
it occured to me to do one side at the time.
so far, i can't definitively if it effects the sound at all 

I could never hear any difference using the Transpore tape, but my hearing is suspect at best. In theory you would think it would have to, at least a little, but as I say, I didn't hear it.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #116 of 722

But they all look to be the same color. 

I'm not a big fan of the colour that wood ends up when you varnish it so we added a bit of white to balance it out.

Imagine that.
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #118 of 722
Trying to still decide if I want to build another senngrado or use this new driver. It is more expensive but sounds intriguing although I wish they didn't use the metal covering for the drivers.

IMO, Sound quality wise the Ypsilons are many levels above the SennGrado.
What's your concern with the aluminum?

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #120 of 722
  Do you own a Senngrado?

I'm just wondering because I don't see that you've made any posts in any of the Sengrado threads.

Not anymore, used their parts elsewhere, build a pair sometime ago out of curiosity but I didn't like them, I still have the drivers I think.
EDIT: Found the leftover SennGrado drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back