Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Oct 20, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #91 of 597
  most detailed: ypsilon, but not by much over the RS1e to me but it could also be the genre of music, with classical the RS1e sounds a little more detailed to me due to the better extended highs and better sound stage but with jazz, pop, rock and most other genres the ypsilon is quite detailed, more so in the lower range where the RS1e is more mid bass centric.

best imaging: RS1e

Thanks. That was what I was thinking. The Ypsilon is very detailed but does do imaging as well...even compared to Nhoord (I think). 
I'm building another set of customs for the Ypsilon and will be able to compare it directly with the Nhoords.
As for the RS1e, I have a friend who just got it so I'll compare it at some point. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #92 of 597
My Nhoord drivers are due to arrive on Monday. Rholupat gimbals (black) shipped earlier this week will arrive soon, and my onyx manta ships out monday. My build should be done soon! I've got L-cush cups to start with... is there any point in getting a pair of G-cush to try with these drivers?

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #94 of 597
My Nhoord drivers are due to arrive on Monday. Rholupat gimbals (black) shipped earlier this week will arrive soon, and my onyx manta ships out monday. My build should be done soon! I've got L-cush cups to start with... is there any point in getting a pair of G-cush to try with these drivers?

Not really, the highs becomes too piercing and midrange is recessed even more (than already is) with the G-cush, better stick with L-cush or flats.

I agree about Grado G-Cush but Ear Zonk G-Cush are like $6 on ebay and def. worth a listen.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #95 of 597
I agree about Grado G-Cush but Ear Zonk G-Cush are like $6 on ebay and def. worth a listen.

My opinion is based on sound quality outcome, BTW, EarZonk G-cush are like $20, still not a deal breaker though, the cheap $6 G-cush are made with less dense foam (more open cell percentage), they leak way more and sound like crap, just because they resemble the shape doesn't mean they sound the same, same goes for the cheap L-cush.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #96 of 597
My opinion is based on sound quality outcome, BTW, EarZonk G-cush are like $20, still not a deal breaker though, the cheap $6 G-cush are made with less dense foam (more open cell percentage), they leak way more and sound like crap, just because they resemble the shape doesn't mean they sound the same, same goes for the cheap L-cush.

You are mistaken. The EZ G Cush are on ebay too and are cheaper than Amazon. Here:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Grado-Headphone-G-Cushion-GS1000i-GS1000e-PS1000-PS1000e-/252312757852?nav=SEARCH

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #97 of 597
You are mistaken. The EZ G Cush are on ebay too and are cheaper than Amazon. Here:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Grado-Headphone-G-Cushion-GS1000i-GS1000e-PS1000-PS1000e-/252312757852?nav=SEARCH

Maybe, as I said $6 vs $20 is not a deal breaker if they sound good, I bought mine from EarZonk which BTW their site seems to be down.
I also keep some original Grado G-cush from the PS1000 for comparisons, some el-cheapos bought from Ebay at best can serve as shoe cleaning sponges.
If I may ask, have you really bought these you point in the link, compared them to EarZonks and and found them to be the same? This is Epray (
rolleyes.gif
).

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #98 of 597
I think the cheap G pads on Ebay is a hit or miss thing, I don't see the vendor I got some from but to me these were better sounding than the EarZonk one I got from Amazon, a bit denser foam, they provide slightly better imaging and a better low end while another cheap pair from a different vendor was identical to the EarZonks. 

For the L pads the original Grado's are the best sounding to me while the EarZonk L pads are a bit more comfortable since they are softer and add a touch to the low end but the mids and hights are not as crisp and clear.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #99 of 597
If I may ask, have you really bought these you point in the link, compared them to EarZonks and and found them to be the same? This is Epray :)rolleyes: ).

Yes, I have. But I don't blame your skepticism.

Edit: I'd like to note, though, that there is a *little* variation between Ear Zonk G pads. i.e. dubious quality control.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #101 of 597
I get the impression that these are better senngrados or consistently better is this accurate or do they differ?

Do the nhoords' excel in any area more than the ypissolon or magnums? Can anyone chime in?

The Nhoords are smoother, warmer and have a fuller mids than the Ypsilon and Magnums 6.
The Ypsilon might be a little more neutral and detailed but the Nhoords image better.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #102 of 597
I get the impression that these are better senngrados or consistently better is this accurate or do they differ?

Do the nhoords' excel in any area more than the ypissolon or magnums? Can anyone chime in?

All the above drivers are miles ahead of the SennGrados IMHO, there seems to be some variance in the drivers used in the PX100 by Sennheiser, I tried three different pairs and never made them "work", finally gave up.
The Nhoords excel in situations where a good quality headphone amp or source is not possible for various reasons, because of their very recessed midrange they have the ability to hide the"ugliness" and shortcomings.ie, connected directly to laptops or tablets, listening to MP3s and YouTube etc. but look elsewhere if you want to hear what your headphone amp/source/HD music really sounds like.

Quote:

The Nhoords are smoother, warmer and have a fuller mids than the Ypsilon and Magnums 6.
The Ypsilon might be a little more neutral and detailed but the Nhoords image better.

Not to argue here, but with that ~12db peak at just over 10kHz I wouldn't call the Nhoord "smoother" than the Magnum V7 or the Ypsilon that have ruler flat FR in comparison.
IMHO, the Ypsilon have the fuller midrange and the more natural/neutral sound of the bunch, the Nhoord have a very V-shaped sound, strong bass and peaky treble but very recessed midrange, (which maybe it's what that gives you that "warmer" impression?) the Magnum V7 fall somewhere in between but in the direction of the Nhoord, same strong bass with less peaky treble but fuller midrange than the Nhoord. YMMV
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #104 of 597

Not to argue here, but with that ~12db peak at just over 10kHz I wouldn't call the Nhoord "smoother" than the Magnum V7 or the Ypsilon that have ruler flat FR in comparison.
IMHO, the Ypsilon have the fuller midrange and the more natural/neutral sound of the bunch, the Nhoord have a very V-shaped sound, strong bass and peaky treble but very recessed midrange, (which maybe it's what that gives you that "warmer" impression?) the Magnum V7 fall somewhere in between but in the direction of the Nhoord, same strong bass with less peaky treble but fuller midrange than the Nhoord. YMMV
tongue.gif

I do not know how someone can possibly hear it this way.

are you going by frequency graph or actual listening?
i think frequency curves are great for comparision and pure science
but there are many variables when it comes down to, cup style, material, damping methods
earpads, source, transport, amplification, style of music...ei ei oh

for what its worth, i prefer the nhoord for daily listening, its sound is somewhat colored
i find the midrange only slightly recessed and i agree that its a forgiving sound
i believe they call it a "fun" sound...

.... remember fun...

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #105 of 597
  I do not know how someone can possibly hear it this way.

"Someone" who actually own, build ,extensively listened to all three drivers and has an opinion for their comparison.

Have you actually done a similar comparison and came up with a different conclusion?
Please, post a pic or two from your Ypsilon and V7 builds.

are you going by frequency graph or actual listening?
i think frequency curves are great for comparision and pure science
but there are many variables when it comes down to, cup style, material, damping methods
earpads, source, transport, amplification, style of music...ei ei oh

for what its worth, i prefer the nhoord for daily listening, its sound is somewhat colored
i find the midrange only slightly recessed and i agree that its a forgiving sound
i believe they call it a "fun" sound...

.... remember fun...

Since we are comparing them, actually both and none, meaning both can be very misleading, but to answer your question I listen first to "wrap my head around" and measure later to validate my thoughts. I use the same setup when making comparisons down to the cables in an attempt to minimize the variables you mention as much as possible, but yes, I agree that in general not two builds from different persons can have the exact same result if the sourced parts (cups, earpads, headbands or even cables) comes from different vendors.
Fun is good, however, I'd try not be absolute, as much as you value "fun" I might value "engagement and emotion", someone else "accuracy" and so on, "fun" (or any other term) is very relative and while it has a nice-ish meaning it's not suitable for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back