Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #437 of 597
Ok I'll "invest" in these used grados then. Use them for a while (before modding, because I've never heard Grados), and then get some aftermarket drivers and bigger earpads.
In the future maybe I'll end up improving everything on them. But to start I think these used phones + better drivers + some earpads, is a good start.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #438 of 597
Ok I'll "invest" in these used grados then. Use them for a while (before modding, because I've never heard Grados), and then get some aftermarket drivers and bigger earpads.
In the future maybe I'll end up improving everything on them. But to start I think these used phones + better drivers + some earpads, is a good start.
Sounds like a plan! Now order! Cheers,

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #439 of 597
Yes, I just got them a few hours ago. So far I'm enjoying them. (For Classic Rock and some Metal).

Also bought an original Grado G cushion (will arrive in more than a week). They might be overkill for the SR60, but it's a piece I'll use in the future if I end up getting some wood cups or a better driver.

I'm still tempted in putting the alternative drivers inside the SR60 plastic cups (instead of investing in cables+wooden cups). But I'll leave this decision for September~

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #440 of 597
Yes, I just got them a few hours ago. So far I'm enjoying them. (For Classic Rock and some Metal).

Also bought an original Grado G cushion (will arrive in more than a week). They might be overkill for the SR60, but it's a piece I'll use in the future if I end up getting some wood cups or a better driver.

I'm still tempted in putting the alternative drivers inside the SR60 plastic cups (instead of investing in cables+wooden cups). But I'll leave this decision for September~
I highly recommend (as would @DavidA) that you give generic G cush pads from ebay/aliexpress a try as well. Although, dirt cheap they play very nicely with the Nhoord Drivers sound signature wise and are super, super comfortable (much more so than the Grado OEM G-Cush pads which tend to be hard and itchy).

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #441 of 597
What's the easiest and cheapest way of building some Nhoord v2 headphones? Can I just buy some cheap Grados in Amazon and replace the driver and the earpads? (Grado SR60e costs 100€ / Alessandro Grado or SR80 about 120€).

You can use the grado cables too. The only thing to consider is that liberating the Grado drivers from the plastic sleeve while leaving the sleeve intact for the nhoord driver to be transplanted can be a pain in the ass without the right tools.

Re-using the old sleeves can give you a substandard experience too. I know I'm probably biased, but all of the aftermarket drivers are designed with the expectation you put them in a wooden cup, or wooden sleeves. I've always felt something was missing when I tried the plastic sleeves. YMMV though...

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #442 of 597
Re-using the old sleeves can give you a substandard experience too. I know I'm probably biased, but all of the aftermarket drivers are designed with the expectation you put them in a wooden cup, or wooden sleeves. I've always felt something was missing when I tried the plastic sleeves. YMMV though...
Any new, recent builds?

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #443 of 597
Any new, recent builds?

A few....just mailed off two to a gentleman. Was tweaking some prior work I did for him. I took some Elleven Acoustica drivers out of aluminium cups with Black Limba sleeves and put them into some layered Maple and Mahogany cups for him. From the layered Maple and Mahogany I took out some SR225e drivers and put them into Walnut GH-1 style cups. The SR225e drivers I modded to play nicely with G-Cush pads which was fun....never thought I would squeeze subbass from a Grado driver, but it was there! Trouble was, it dominated everything, so I dialled it back and got him a driver that doesn't sound thin or bassless with the G-Cush...

Also about to put together a Nhoord build for someone, using Cocobolo RS1-style cups, and turn him some Purpleheart GS1000-style cups for another build he's getting done elsewhere. Also lined up is an attempt to woody some KAM HP1 for someone...finally think I've figured out how to make it happen, and a T50rp build...

In between all of that I am building up more inventory to post on the site...

Plenty to keep me occupied :D

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #444 of 597
I have about 6 hours of head time in with my fleasbaby-Nhoord build. This is a very impressive driver! The lows are excellent and the Beautiful Audio cushions and a Jolida FOZ brings in the highs and mids right where I like them. It sounds very much like the LCD3 s that I shipped to their new owner today.

I will post some pictures here when I receive their gimbals and rod blocks.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #445 of 597
I have about 6 hours of head time in with my fleasbaby-Nhoord build. This is a very impressive driver! The lows are excellent and the Beautiful Audio cushions and a Jolida FOZ brings in the highs and mids right where I like them. It sounds very much like the LCD3 s that I shipped to their new owner today.

I will post some pictures here when I receive their gimbals and rod blocks.
Nice to see another that likes the Nhoord and I'm not surprised that it gets compared to some higher model headphones and holds its own.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #447 of 597
New here, but, I've started a new Nhoord build. Was researching doing a woody mod for my SR325s and then saw fleasbaby's Mahogony/Spalted Tamarind Cups and things got out of hand...
Haha, ain't that the truth. BTW, welcome to Head-fi.... Sorry about your wallet!:money_mouth:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back