Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #406 of 597
@BaseRobber , really nice work. I'm curious about the ear pads from Beautiful Audio, they look like leather and I've always wanted to know how they impact the sound. Do you have any regular pads (Grado L or generic G pads) to make a comparison with the Beautiful Audio pads?

Only pads I have for comparison are the flat foam grado pads that came with my sr60e. The interior of these wool pads is made of a softer and thinner wool than the outside. I would compare them to microsuede but I never get itchy with wool. Unfortunately my leather pads from other headphones are too big.

The flat pads, in comparison to these wool pads, appear to have a much smaller sound stage. Mids and treble are pushed up front with the foam pads. Bass loses a lot of it's body and detail.

The wool pads tame the the treble slightly. It's not bright to begin with, but instruments like cymbals aren't as bright as with the wool pads. The bass has a body and thump to it that reminds me of the Fidelio X2. Mids are pushed back to what I would consider neutral. Not as present as they are with the flats.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #407 of 597
I've just bought grado sg60 off eBay for cheap with the intention to modify. I am big black and death metal fan. What mods\parts would you all suggest? I have never modded headphones before so please be kind!

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #408 of 597
I've just bought grado sg60 off eBay for cheap with the intention to modify. I am big black and death metal fan. What mods\parts would you all suggest? I have never modded headphones before so please be kind!

I'm not a metal fan, so is there a specific sound signature you prefer for that genre? I would encourage you to try out the sr60 driver to see what you like or don't like about it. My girlfriend gave me an sr60e that I intended to mod, but I could not stand the treble spikes or lack of sub bass. Listening was only tolerable at very low volumes

The biggest change in sound will definitely come with a driver change. Wood cups and ear pads can make slight changes to the sound. If you go on the Nhoord website there's a list of manufacturers for each Grado part. Some manufacturers not on there are Elleven Acoustica, SpinAF, BeautifulAudio.biz, and ShipiboAudio on Etsy. A lot of good options to choose from

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #409 of 597
EDF25C36-CC1C-4BA6-8EA8-9CECF1A54E93.jpeg

875B3B57-FDEC-4278-BE1E-CB030C6EABE8.jpeg

Off topic a bit - but since I blew up a Nhoord infra making it, it might fit in.

White oak (almost) 1 piece enclosure for my amplifier.

I haven’t decided on a finish yet.

Attachments

• BA5060C1-625B-427E-AD6C-5ACA51C3C603.jpeg
    BA5060C1-625B-427E-AD6C-5ACA51C3C603.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #411 of 597
@Harry Manback , what amp is that in the box? Also, I didn't know that the Infra was released yet ...

It contains a power supply (+15/-15 v), and an OPA1622 derived amp board. I used an RK27 10K volume control. The power supply requires ac/ac/ground connections, so I used the rean tiny xlr for the power brick connection, and a Honeywell 16.5VAC 25VA external power brick (wall wart). I would like to do some re-wiring and neaten things up and shorten some paths and do better routing around the ac areas. I really get a kick out of DIY.

I had wanted a fairly simple amplifier inspired by the look of the Grado RA-1. I like this one a bit better.

I haven't done extensive listening tests yet, but I think it compares very well to my Magni 2U. First impressions are that it has better treble, but that could be placebo.

Link to the guts - this makes constructing your own amplifier pretty trivial: http://www.ti.com/tool/OPA1622EVM

You just can't re-sell something using an eval board. Not a problem here - I think I'll keep this little jewel for a very long time.

There is a guy on diyaudio that is selling cmoy amps based on this chip. It was designed from the ground up to be a great sounding audio op amp. The chip package does make working with it directly very difficult though. Hence the eval board being used. The chip is TINY. Like 1/4 the size of a dip-8 jelly bean op amp.

</ramble-off>

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #412 of 597

Off topic a bit - but since I blew up a Nhoord infra making it, it might fit in.

White oak (almost) 1 piece enclosure for my amplifier.

I haven’t decided on a finish yet.

Very nice. How did you construct the box? Grado just takes a block and hollows out a few spots for the parts. Did you do the same?

May 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #415 of 597
Very nice. How did you construct the box? Grado just takes a block and hollows out a few spots for the parts. Did you do the same?

Most of it is hollowed. A drill press was used. I had to hand chisel some space for the RK27 volume control. . That was no fun.

I have more of the wood now, and will be using it for a dac and eq. I plan on also making a modular home system as well.

May 13, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #416 of 597
May 15, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #419 of 597
Im looking for a pair of drivers, if any of you guys want to sell yours hit me up. I have two complete housings, I just need the drivers

alessandro ms1(i) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back