Grado HF2's: anyone *not* like them?
Nov 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Kevin Brown

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, I am not saying that I don't like them. 
smile_phones.gif

But man, after having owned the SR80i, SR125i, SR225i, the SR325is, and having settled on the MS2i's, the HF2's are really a completely different animal IMO.

For all of the 80, 125, 225, and MS2i, I use -3 dB at 8kHz.  No EQ for bass at all. 

I like the mellowed out highs of the HF2's, so I don't need that -3 dB at 8kHz any longer, but I'm having to EQ down the bass.  I'm at -3 dB at 62 and 125Hz right now. 

I felt the SR325is's were completely different that all those others because of how much extra brighter they are.  And the HF2's are so completely different than all those others because of the additional bass.  Yin and Yang maybe.

I know there's the long "review and comparison" thread, and someday I'll go through that, but I'm curious as to my specific question.

And then if you didn't like the HF2's, what did you end up with?  Grado-wise.

Thanks !!

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 49
Mind you a lot are saying they dont like HF2 but not everyone has them. For me Grado 325i my fav and looking for a HF2 with single number to add to the collection from what I heard the HF2 is the baby PS1k

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 49
well, I'm the one who aren't a big fans of HF2 with several reason:

1. The mid-to-low is too prominent, it's just lack transparency for me when I do critical listening, but it's still fine for fun sounding.
2. The weight, too heavy for supraaural cans

Grado wise? hmm... I still think Aless MS-Pro is the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 49
I tried the HF2 at a meet, and I didn't quite like it for the same reasons as you, also they were less appealing due to the extra weight. I liked the RS1 I tried quite a bit. I have always been interested in purchasing an RS1i or MSPROi at some point.

I've owned the MS1, which I liked but they were a little too bright. I've also owned the SR225i which I thought were even more bright.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 49

Quote:
OK, I am not saying that I don't like them. 
smile_phones.gif

But man, after having owned the SR80i, SR125i, SR225i, the SR325is, and having settled on the MS2i's, the HF2's are really a completely different animal IMO.

For all of the 80, 125, 225, and MS2i, I use -3 dB at 8kHz.  No EQ for bass at all. 

I like the mellowed out highs of the HF2's, so I don't need that -3 dB at 8kHz any longer, but I'm having to EQ down the bass.  I'm at -3 dB at 62 and 125Hz right now. 

I felt the SR325is's were completely different that all those others because of how much extra brighter they are.  And the HF2's are so completely different than all those others because of the additional bass.  Yin and Yang maybe.

I know there's the long "review and comparison" thread, and someday I'll go through that, but I'm curious as to my specific question.

And then if you didn't like the HF2's, what did you end up with?  Grado-wise.

Thanks !!

My thoughts mirror yours as well. They are different from the "classic" Grado sound, but I likes 'em! Next to the RS1s, they are my favourite Grado cans (with the SR225s coming in third).

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 49

Quote:
Mind you a lot are saying they dont like HF2 but not everyone has them. For me Grado 325i my fav and looking for a HF2 with single number to add to the collection from what I heard the HF2 is the baby PS1k

I remember that "baby PS1k" comment too.  Lots of bass !!

Any one know?  The MS2i (and SR325is) *are* heavier than the SR225i.  But the HF2 doesn't seem to me to be a lot different than the 325/MS2 in weight ...

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 49
I like them, but didn't completely fall for the HF-2. They arrived (IIRC) a couple of days after the HD-800. I listened for a few hours and then went right back to the HD-800. I drag them out every now and then, but they're still relatively untouched. Good enough to keep - especially as part of the community - but they rarely get head time.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 49
 Hee, hee: I got jumbos and flats from TTVJ with the HF2's.  I should try those pads with them, yes ...

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 49
I never liked the jumbos on HF-2. Things get balanced when using jumbos but it takes away the FUN factor of the phones.

One question: Because I was away from Head-fi for some time, now I see HF-2 with #1000s. I thought it would be only about 550 units. Has there been another HF-2 promotion since the first event?

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 49
The HF2's ended my journey. I haven't really had the urge to try much else since I got them but I have tried a few and neither of them were as good to my ears. I tried the SR225 just for comparisons sake and they sounded far too bright and unnatural. 

HF2's do have somewhat of a hyped up midbass region but it's by no means overpowering and I've grown quite accustomed to it. The treble is simply perfect, as are the mids, and the soundstage is much larger than other Grado's I've tried, whilst still retaining that up-front Grado energeticness which is just so good with rock. Everything else I've tried sounds fake and unnatural since the HF2's. They're pretty much perfection at this pricepoint imo, and I'm not willing to pay more for headphones.

Also they look beautiful and aren't overly uncomfortable to my ears.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 49

Quote:
How are those after shocks? :/

Not too bad actually. Still getting a few a day but most of them are too small to be noticeable. Every week or so there's a decent 4-5 one but they've been becoming less and less common. I kinda like them and will probably miss them when they stop. They spice things up and add variety.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 49

Quote:
I never liked the jumbos on HF-2. Things get balanced when using jumbos but it takes away the FUN factor of the phones.

One question: Because I was away from Head-fi for some time, now I see HF-2 with #1000s. I thought it would be only about 550 units. Has there been another HF-2 promotion since the first event?

Interested in this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back