GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #736 of 1,160
I found CK10 to be perhaps a bit like an upgraded ER4, though, the GR8/10 are very similar in many ways, but more bass pressure. 

To whomever it was I was talking about decibels, I look to be wrong. I remember living in a loud warehouse, so when I measured conversations with a meter, we had to talk louder, about 75dB. Ambient noise was about 63-65db. I was good and wrong! Sorry.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #737 of 1,160
Quote:
To whomever it was I was talking about decibels, I look to be wrong. I remember living in a loud warehouse, so when I measured conversations with a meter, we had to talk louder, about 75dB. Ambient noise was about 63-65db. I was good and wrong! Sorry.

Hehe, no worries.  Hedgehogs hear differently is all.  
wink.gif
  So what happened to your DBA mk2?

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #738 of 1,160
I was borrowing that. I had a very hard time giving it back. I hate this borrowing game. The DBA-02 MKII is a favourite sounding earphone, but its fit is poor. The GR8 is one I purchased a few weeks ago which fits just snug and fun. 
Quote:

Hehe, no worries.  Hedgehogs hear differently is all.  
wink.gif
  So what happened to your DBA mk2?

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #740 of 1,160
I just bought these as a replacement for my busted ATH-CK10. These are purely first impressions -- I haven't had near enough time with them for a full review. The CK10 is my main point of comparison.

Accessories - three tip sizes and--well, that's it. Nothing else. No additional tip styles, no case, not even a wax cleaner. That's pretty weak for a $400 IEM.

Build Quality - the housings themselves seem pretty durable. The green half feels like aluminum, and the seam between it and the gray plastic front is very narrow and even. The cable stress relievers at the housings are crooked, which seems like a clever idea, and the I-plug is flexible. The cable itself, though, is just north of mediocre. It has a slightly rubbery feel, but seems eager to coil and isn't as thick or pliable as I'd like. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the CK10. 

Isolationgood. These aren't Etymotics, but it's pretty easy to get a good seal. I swapped out the tips for Sony Hybrids and the isolation is what I expected to get with the CK10 but never quite did.

Microphonics - terrible when worn cord-down. Over the ears, it's virtually nonexistent. 

Comfort - they're small and lightweight, and you more or less forget you're wearing them. It's easier to get a good seal worn cord-down, but the microphonics are unbearable with that style. Cord-up is comfortable but takes some fiddling to get properly inserted. The shape of the housing doesn't lend itself to easy adjustment in the ears.

Sound it's too soon to fairly evaluate their sound quality, but thus far I'm pretty happy. Compared to the CK10, mids are more forward, it's not quite as analyical, and highs aren't quite as sweet (that may just be my ears adapting to greater emphasis on mids). The soundstage seems larger. It feels a bit more musical and rich. If you liked the CK10 but felt it was just a shade too cold, these are probably perfect.

edit
I forgot to mention that these headphones are the most efficient I've ever owned. I've had to turn down the volume on all my devices and can hear a noticeable hiss on my laptop.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #742 of 1,160
They are great, very musical IEM's but if you like to turn up the volume and rock out, stay away from Grado IEM's.  They just can't withstand heavy volume, even amped.  This is a fault!!  Best with lighter acoustic and vocal music.

For the same price as GR10, the Westone 4 beats it relentlessly!  It took me a while to realize this and I have older posts contradicting this but GR10 is grossly over-priced for its performance.  GR8's should be in the $150-$200 range and the GR10 should not be a penny over $275

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #743 of 1,160
Different people value things differently, of course. I have a very hard time fitting the Westone IEMs into my (apparently oddly-shaped) ears and would never spend big bucks on them for that reason. If I can't fit them into my ear I don't care how great they allegedly sound. I have a hard time getting a seal with my W1s every time I use them. Have had the same problems with many other IEMs as well, even ones like the PL50s that were praised by many people for ease of fit. The small body of the GR10s is a huge deal to me. They fit effortlessly and are very comfortable. I never had any trouble with them distorting, but maybe I am just a quieter listener by nature. (Although I should point out that "quieter listener" does not mean I don't listen to heavy rock music... I do, and I think the GR10s sound particularly good with electric guitars!)

The GR10s are why I hardly post on this site any more... had them for two years now and couldn't be happier with them.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #744 of 1,160
Quote:
They are great, very musical IEM's but if you like to turn up the volume and rock out, stay away from Grado IEM's.  They just can't withstand heavy volume, even amped.  This is a fault!!  Best with lighter acoustic and vocal music.

For the same price as GR10, the Westone 4 beats it relentlessly!  It took me a while to realize this and I have older posts contradicting this but GR10 is grossly over-priced for its performance.  GR8's should be in the $150-$200 range and the GR10 should not be a penny over $275

Your GR10 can't handle heavy volume? Mine don't need it. At the lowest notch on my laptop, I still have to turn down app-specific volume controls to keep it at a comfortable listening volume. My other devices have also all needed to be turned down. I'm not listening exclusively to Karda Estra or viola concertos either. Boosting the volume to two notches is loud as hell without any loss of fidelity. Opeth, Giant Squid, Isis, and their ilk all sound excellent. Are you sure you've got a good seal?

Regarding the Westone 4, I haven't tried it. It may well sound better, but the reviews I've read describe something different from my preferred sound signature. And I'll never get past the gigantic housings. 

EDIT

I went back and read a few of your previous postings in this thread. Our definitions of "loud" are very, very different. On my iPhone, for instance, 20% volume drowns out surrounding conversations and house music. I might crank it up to 25% at the climax of Sevengill or the segue from light to heavy in Bleak, but that's on the edge of comfort. Turning it up to 75% would probably blow out my eardrums and pound my temporal lobes smooth.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #745 of 1,160
20% on an Ipod/Apple product (on any player) would see hardly audible.  For me that would be like watching a 32" TV from 40 feet away.

GR10 are easy fit and comfy but the Westones just feel more secure while active.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #747 of 1,160
Quote:

Comfort - they're small and lightweight, and you more or less forget you're wearing them. It's easier to get a good seal worn cord-down, but the microphonics are unbearable with that style. Cord-up is comfortable but takes some fiddling to get properly inserted. The shape of the housing doesn't lend itself to easy adjustment in the ears.

I'm surprised by this. The shape is symmetrical for up or down except that they can go deeper when up so more versatile. When up, they're easy to grab by the strain relief which is plenty strong enough to pull on. I'm not doubting you as we're all built different but maybe some time and tip size adjustment will get you used to it. I only wear them up.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #748 of 1,160
Beat on em a bit. They'll warm up and smooth out some. Mid and highs should fall into your prefered alignment in time and with a a bit more bass.

Please elaborate. I am still new to the lingo. I've had my GR10 for app one month and for 50 hours use. This burning for 100 hours confuses me a bit.

As I've said in another thread, I respect your opinion. You say "They'll warm up and smooth out some." Meaning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back