GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #751 of 1,160
Quote:
Just play music through them quite loud for 8hr or so intervals. Just some full range varied music on shuffle or repeat at headbanger type volume. They should even out some with better extremes.

Sorry, if this is obvious or too simplistic, but...

(1) So, loud for 8 hour intervals until I've reached app. 100 hours total usage? 

(2) And by even out, you mean??

(3) And, finally referring back to your other post, http://www.head-fi.org/t/575943/grado-gr10-blissful-harmonics-final-review-added/60#post_7927507, "From new they start a bit congested, then get a bit hot until they warm up..." As a newbie, I still am not sure I understand what you mean, though by "they start a bit congested, then get a bit hot until they warm up and top evens out with more texture and res."  Hot? Warm?  Are these references to bass or treble?  Something else?  What does it mean to say that they will "open up?"  Both you and Grado say it.  I am wondering what improvements or differences in sound I will notice in the next 50ish hours.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #752 of 1,160
Quote:
Sorry, if this is obvious or too simplistic, but...

(1) So, loud for 8 hour intervals until I've reached app. 100 hours total usage? 

(2) And by even out, you mean??

(3) And, finally referring back to your other post, http://www.head-fi.org/t/575943/grado-gr10-blissful-harmonics-final-review-added/60#post_7927507, "From new they start a bit congested, then get a bit hot until they warm up..." As a newbie, I still am not sure I understand what you mean, though by "they start a bit congested, then get a bit hot until they warm up and top evens out with more texture and res."  Hot? Warm?  Are these references to bass or treble?  Something else?  What does it mean to say that they will "open up?"  Both you and Grado say it.  I am wondering what improvements or differences in sound I will notice in the next 50ish hours.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hot refers to the treble (spikes generally).  Warm actually refers to the mid-bass, and at times the sub-bass.  Opening up is generally an idea on the ultrasonic treble that creates the perception of air between the instruments and sounds.  

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #755 of 1,160
I bought a pair of these during a recent trip back to Japan to replace a pair of Etymotic IEMs.  I think they sound great out of the box and have the perfect balance in bass, treble and mids for me.  I had tested a pair of Shure SE425 (nice sound but prefer IEMs that hang down), Westone 4Rs (again nice sound but expensive) and Sony XBA-40s (too bassy) before my purchase.  I would definitely recommend checking them out for those who like a balanced sound and can give them a test listen.

One thing I would like to do is buy some ear tips to replace the stock ones.  I like to listen to music at low volumes and so want something with better isolation for the daily commute.  Has anyone tried the Shure olives with the GR10s?  Do they fit?  I have tried looking on the Internet, but can't find a definitive answer.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #757 of 1,160
No unless you decore them which is removing the stiffer plastic center tube.

That's a shame. I ended up purchasing the Comply tips as I wanted decent sound isolation for commuting (I don't like playing music loud). They are fine, but I feel something is missing with the sound compared to the stock tips. Also, the isolation isn't as good as my old Etymotic's double flange tips. Does anyone have any recommendations for tips which have decent isolation and similar in sound to the stock tips?

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #761 of 1,160
I just snatched these off Ebay for $320, apparently completely new pair. I haven’t had a chance to audition them beforehand though…God, I hope you guys are right in your positive reviews :) And as a RS2i owner, I hope they will give me at least similar experience. Fingers crossed!

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #762 of 1,160
Quote:
I just snatched these off Ebay for $320, apparently completely new pair. I haven’t had a chance to audition them beforehand though…God, I hope you guys are right in your positive reviews
smily_headphones1.gif
And as a RS2i owner, I hope they will give me at least similar experience. Fingers crossed!

Oh yeah......really nice ear buds.   Perhaps the single best IEM I have heard at any price for vocal and acoustic music.  Unreal....

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #763 of 1,160

My GR-10s arrived today and I've spent ~4 hours with them so far. Being spoilt with my RS2i's insane brightness, my first impression was - God, these sound dark and recessed, mid range seems to be very much forward. Perhaps it's this elusive neutrality everyone is speaking about I'm experiencing :) As I said, RS2i are definitely skewed towards the trebles, which I quite enjoy. It is a bit of a challenge to adjust the ear to this new sound.

On the flipside, comparison with my slowly-falling-apart Denons AH-C560R turns out very favorable for GR-10. Bass in AH-C560R is overpowering and highs are emphasized as well (not as much as bass though) The former reduces the amount of detail I can hear and bass becomes fatiguing over time. I can't believe I'm typing this actually, I was a total basshead up until just a few months ago :)

Regarding the question about Grado sound signature — which I was very curious about prior to purchase — I can hear similarities but it's incredibly difficult to compare IEMs to open headphones with massive foam pads (I'm using the G-cush which increases soundstage and improves the sound overall) I think there are two aspects that make GR-10 a small brother to RS2i: 1) the amount of detail, which others seemingly define as "air between instruments" and 2) the bass, the dynamic punch-in-the-face quality of it.

All in all, with mixed feelings (leaning towards positive), I'm setting these babies up for at least 50 hours of burn in and let's see what happens.

Edit: added a photo.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #764 of 1,160
That's a shame. Are there any alternative tips out there that don't degrade the sound and can be modified for the GR10? For example, are the Ultimate Ears bi-flanges a possibility? Thanks.

I just thought I should follow up on my post and say I tried the Grado GR10s with some UE bi-flanges and it didn't really improve the isolation. But the sound was also not adversely affected.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #765 of 1,160
Hey guys, I got my Grado GR10s, and everything was going fine listening from my cellphone, until I plugged it into my Macbook Pro. Huge static noise...I tried with another Macbook Pro...and still exact same. It's much less static from cellphone and from iPod....Whats going on here???

Sucks cuz I cant return in ear headphones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back