GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #466 of 1,160
I can see why people like these. I'm using the stock medium tips and don't find a reason to try any other tips. They just fit well without much fiddling. The housing is similar in size to the CK10 and the first earphone I've had in my possession that was so comfortable and low profile since owning and selling the CK10 (twice..). The cable is good for the most part with a straight plug which I prefer. The only thing I do not like is the slight memory character of the cable and reminds me a bit of the Shure E4 I had in the past but not nearly as bad.

I wish I still had the e-Q7 to compare but I recall the midrange being better on them than the GR10 but it may have something to do with the fact that I had the FAD BA-SS in my ears until recently so need some more time to adjust. These are pretty transparent and doesn't add too much to the music like some other earphones does. Bass texture is good so far with a good amount of impact but not too much different than the type of earphones that I like. It won't reach W3 level of bass but just about right for me. I get a tiny bit of warmth in the midrange but not that veil kind of warmth. It's very pleasing actually. Typically with earphones that have this kind of signature the treble and upper mids are overemphasized and could give a sense of greater clarity but not the case here. While it does extend and have some airiness it doesn't shout in your face.

I like what I'm hearing so far :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #467 of 1,160
Quote:
I wish I still had the e-Q7 to compare but I recall the midrange being better on them than the GR10 but it may have something to do with the fact that I had the FAD BA-SS in my ears until recently so need some more time to adjust.

The e-Q7 are a tad more mid-forward for sure, but I don't think that's what you meant with "better"?

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #468 of 1,160

Quote:
I can see why people like these. I'm using the stock medium tips and don't find a reason to try any other tips. They just fit well without much fiddling. The housing is similar in size to the CK10 and the first earphone I've had in my possession that was so comfortable and low profile since owning and selling the CK10 (twice..). The cable is good for the most part with a straight plug which I prefer. The only thing I do not like is the slight memory character of the cable and reminds me a bit of the Shure E4 I had in the past but not nearly as bad.

I wish I still had the e-Q7 to compare but I recall the midrange being better on them than the GR10 but it may have something to do with the fact that I had the FAD BA-SS in my ears until recently so need some more time to adjust. These are pretty transparent and doesn't add too much to the music like some other earphones does. Bass texture is good so far with a good amount of impact but not too much different than the type of earphones that I like. It won't reach W3 level of bass but just about right for me. I get a tiny bit of warmth in the midrange but not that veil kind of warmth. It's very pleasing actually. Typically with earphones that have this kind of signature the treble and upper mids are overemphasized and could give a sense of greater clarity but not the case here. While it does extend and have some airiness it doesn't shout in your face.

I like what I'm hearing so far :)

Good call, Pretty much exactly as I hear them with a good insertion. I like the cable in use as i'm a skinny cable kinda guy but I agree that they don't generally just fall free when taken out from a case. I don't find they have much memory as they seem to not hold a shape once freed. Can't double check as Dave has mine now.

They're not perfect as nothing is but if they suit your taste.... As you try some other sources, I think you might find they may have less of sig than the E-q7 but not having heard the e-q7, I certainly can't be sure. Maybe not but from past reviews, my impressions were that the E-q7 had a shure like quality to the mids and I mean that in a good way. My guess is that the GR10 is a bit more linear and top extended but may trade some euphonics for it. I just appreciate that you don't think them identical.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #469 of 1,160

Quote:

The e-Q7 are a tad more mid-forward for sure, but I don't think that's what you meant with "better"?

Well the mid forward is obvious even without needing to A/B but when I had the e-Q7 I felt they shined with the midrange as it was one of the main strengths. Also vocals were very good on the e-Q7 and one of the best in an earphone that I've heard. I don't get that same feeling with the GR10 but it's still early. Of course I can't A/B with the e-Q7 to be 100% positive but that's what I feel so far.

@goodvibes: You are right in that the GR10 sounds different then the e-Q7 but I'm sure you are aware that same driver does not mean same sound. They are both good but different kinds of good.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #470 of 1,160
I sure do and in this case fit may have an influence. They do however use the same tips, and no acoustic filter. Of course the cables and bodies are different but I generally find that a smaller case and more direct shot into the canal doesn't pull back the mids. At the end of the day, only the sound and fit/convenience matters and how you get there, not so much.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #471 of 1,160
I can't exactly do anything to the GR10 as it is not mine. If they cost $300 or so I would be very tempted to buy. This is the first Grado product that I've actually liked what I heard so it's nice for me to enjoy a product from a company after not liking some previous offerings although those were headphones and not earphones.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #472 of 1,160
Thanks for all the info/impressions you've all put into this thread. Outside of this thread I can find virtually no opinions about these grados. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. I mostly listen to classical, latin jazz, and mixed genre (Vanessa-Mae etc). I am definitely not a bass head - probably the opposite. My home cans are DT880/600's with which I am reasonably happy. I've been using Shure E3's for 7 or 8 years now and the cable is finally starting to fall apart - hence the upgrade. Also these guys are fairly easy to get in Canada without having to monkey around with Canada Customs. 

Do the Gr10's get much noticeable benefit from amping? Is there a better, more obvious choice for my listening habits? Anyone have regrets about plumping for the Gr10s?

Cheers

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #473 of 1,160
Of course there's been those with other expectations of them. You won't find any IEM without someone that has buyers remorse. What's nice about the Grado is that they're detailed without being analytical with good extention both ways. Neutral while not cold and very user freindly for fit and comfort. There is no best but these have a lot going for them and are in the picture.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #474 of 1,160
would you consider them a nice upgrade from the RE-252/262 ?

I have both RE-2x2 models and this seems like my next buy , if/when i get some spending money for IEMs

Let me know please - thanx
wink_face.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #476 of 1,160
I've only heard the RE-252 and from these I'd consider the GR10 a huge upgrade in ergonomics.
wink.gif
Soundwise... I'm not so sure, IMO the RE-252 are excellent IEMs. Perhaps a slight upgrade both in clarity and texture - the GR10 are a good mix of analytical and fun sound signature. But in regard to overall SQ they're more like a different flavor than a superior phone IMO.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #477 of 1,160

Quote:
Of course there's been those with other expectations of them. You won't find any IEM without someone that has buyers remorse. What's nice about the Grado is that they're detailed without being analytical with good extention both ways. Neutral while not cold and very user freindly for fit and comfort. There is no best but these have a lot going for them and are in the picture.

Cheers. These sound like a good fit for me and my listening preferences. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #478 of 1,160
Man, I just have to say it again, these GR8's are absolutely beautiful !!!  And yes better than the 262.
To get the best from them they need to be fully broken in and properly amped. Then they sound like a full size headphone. Amazing!!!
Anyone doubting the GR8's testicular fortitude in the low end should try listening to almost anything by Fleetwood Mac that contain drums and clean bass lines. Even the full range of Portishead is reproduced. 
There is a reason they sell for $300.00 and it's not just because of the name.
Way Recommended !
The GR10 on the other hand doesn't really need an amp but they do need a high quality source.
Also way recommended!!!
Sometimes I really think though that I like my GR8 better. I think their bass is slightly better. Strange because the GR10 is more expensive. Well, not really because the GR8 works (a lot)  better with an amp.
 Anyone else feel that way?

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #480 of 1,160
How does the GR10 compare to other top iem like sennheiser IE8, Shure SE535, Triplefi 10 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back